Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on October 01, 2018, 01:51:53 PM
Quote from: Jesusjones on October 01, 2018, 01:45:53 PM
If any team in the county were going up against Dunloys forwards they'd set up defensively. If you don't you'll get cleaned out. Can't fault Loughgiel for doing it. Were Dunloy not expecting it? Tactics are a bit like dugouts, not everything goes the way you want.

Dunloy where ready for a sweeper but we just never got of the bus
Sure they have played games during the league with against sweepers
So if the best way to win a match is stay in your own half and slow the game down by pretending to be half dead  then this wonderful game is heading down the bogball path

I'd say Dunloy knew the blanket defense was coming as everyone would have expected it with that forward line. The difference and the way to beat the blanket defense is to pick off scores from longer range, conditions made this nigh on impossible.

So while LG tactics worked for them, the conditions did too. Dunloy had to try and work the ball through the packed defense which was always going to be a difficult task.

Also no one going to comment on the strike before the game in the skirmish?

Sleeping giant

jesus shame on loughgiel for not leaving 20 yards in front of lightening fast forwards. :o catch a grip will you!!! we set up the only way they could to win and dunloy didn't adapt,  dunloy was always waiting on that spark or that goal coming, and it didn't.  our backs were excellent as were dunloys only for the fouling,  Shorty should have walked and thank god it didn't effect the outcome of the game.  wouldn't give the ref any grief what so ever.  As far as the "were dunloy not expecting it" i think over confidence paid a price here. Cdall to win with plenty to spare next time round and set up a serious final.  anywhere but ballycastle please!!!!
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

north aontroim gael

If any team in the county were going up against Dunloys forwards they'd set up defensively. If you don't you'll get cleaned out. Can't fault Loughgiel for doing it. Were Dunloy not expecting it? Tactics are a bit like dugouts, not everything goes the way you want.

Sure they have played games during the league  against sweepers
So if the best way to win a match is stay in your own half and slow the game down by pretending to be half dead  then this wonderful game is heading down the bogball path

You are taking it too hard I feel. It was a championship game that wasn't played on your terms, it happens. Your management could easily have changed things if they wanted.

Dunloy were not as disciplined in the tackle as usual and were wild a few times. A symptom of their frustration at how the game was playing out I feel but a bit rich to then slag off Loughgiel players for going down injured for getting dirty belts.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: NAG1 on October 01, 2018, 01:58:19 PM

I'd say Dunloy knew the blanket defense was coming as everyone would have expected it with that forward line. The difference and the way to beat the blanket defense is to pick off scores from longer range, conditions made this nigh on impossible.

So while LG tactics worked for them, the conditions did too. Dunloy had to try and work the ball through the packed defense which was always going to be a difficult task.

Agree 💯 percent. The breeze messed up the option of shooting from distance and that draws defenders out leaving room inside
Your obviously a student of the game
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

NAG1

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on October 01, 2018, 02:03:47 PM

Agree 💯 percent. The breeze messed up the option of shooting from distance and that draws defenders out leaving room inside
Your obviously a student of the game

Dont need to be a student to know that if the defense is packed, you shoot from long range and bring them out.

But as has been said the conditions didnt allow that option. Not rocket science as the man says.

Jesusjones

The conditions didn't stop a few Cushendun men knocking over plenty of points from 60-70 yards.

NAG1

Quote from: Jesusjones on October 01, 2018, 02:08:23 PM
The conditions didn't stop a few Cushendun men knocking over plenty of points from 60-70 yards.

Thats true.

Sleeping giant

which one?? :o

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 01, 2018, 02:01:39 PM
jesus shame on loughgiel for not leaving 20 yards in front of lightening fast forwards. :o catch a grip will you!!! we set up the only way they could to win and dunloy didn't adapt,  dunloy was always waiting on that spark or that goal coming, and it didn't.  our backs were excellent as were dunloys only for the fouling,  Shorty should have walked and thank god it didn't effect the outcome of the game.  wouldn't give the ref any grief what so ever.  As far as the "were dunloy not expecting it" i think over confidence paid a price here. Cdall to win with plenty to spare next time round and set up a serious final.  anywhere but ballycastle please!!!!

You call it confidence I would call it complacency but I know where your coming from
Sorry for not coming on here on throwing lots of praise at LG but the general feeling round Dunloy is we didn't get of the bus and that's why we lost.
LG fully deserved to win because all the Neymar stuff wouldn't have mattered if we played like we can

Two Hands FFS

A lack of ball winners cost Dunloy yesterday as the game was played in Loughgiels terms. There experience & hunger won them the match.
Never noticed much rolling around the ground bar the two boys who were hit in the ribs & had a stick broken round them.
As suggested here, Dunloy players will learn from yesterday. Sometimes championship Hurling isn't easy.

NAG1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 01, 2018, 02:10:57 PM

which one?? :o

Well I only saw one actual strike with a hurl in the whole shenanigans  ;)

Sweeper 123

Can I ask why did the Dunloy management team and players want to be at the side with all the Loughguile supporters?  I know that no one has any side or can claim to have any side but surely taking their players to the other side where their supporters were would have made sense.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on October 01, 2018, 02:11:29 PM

You call it confidence I would call it complacency but I know where your coming from
Sorry for not coming on here on throwing lots of praise at LG but the general feeling round Dunloy is we didn't get of the bus and that's why we lost.
LG fully deserved to win because all the Neymar stuff wouldn't have mattered if we played like we can
not wanting or expecting praise. but to think we were showing up to let your young guns do as they wanted was silly. and as someone said the sideline could have changed it up. id say complacency and over confidence was a factor but regardless our boys wanted it more, weather wouldn't have changed the hunger, we've plenty good enough lads on the dry day too.     someone said last week dunloy was going to blow holes in loughgiel. we went in hungry dunloy went in over confident.  that's the main factor

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sweeper 123 on October 01, 2018, 02:22:31 PM
Can I ask why did the Dunloy management team and players want to be at the side with all the Loughguile supporters?  I know that no one has any side or can claim to have any side but surely taking their players to the other side where their supporters were would have made sense.

Can't answer that and it's a good point but if a teams out first at a neutral venue then they have the choice. Does the other team have the right to go to a dig out and throw out hurls and helmets when they where out second

It was all a bit childish

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 01, 2018, 02:23:10 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on October 01, 2018, 02:11:29 PM

not wanting or expecting praise. but to think we were showing up to let your young guns do as they wanted was silly. and as someone said the sideline could have changed it up. id say complacency and over confidence was a factor but regardless our boys wanted it more, weather wouldn't have changed the hunger, we've plenty good enough lads on the dry day too.     someone said last week dunloy was going to blow holes in loughgiel. we went in hungry dunloy went in over confident.  that's the main factor

Didn't hear one person in Dunloy say they where going to blow holes in LG did I not tell you last week it was 50/50 so your way off the mark there.
Your spot on about the hunger LG wanted it more
I would usually go to the final because I like a good game of hurling but I think I will give it a miss for the same reasons I don't go to a Ulster football match