Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Greencastle ain't bad when you consider it's only a small Parish. Me thinks the membership might increase next year ;)
Testing Accessibility

laceer

heard that last years killyman managers, tony hughes and tony quinn, have taken on the aghaloo team for next year

Quarterback

Intresting figures there relating to the membership of clubs.  I think if you look at the facilities Galbally have its testament to the work put in by their members for what is realistically a small club. 

winghalfun

So what is the secret of Galbally's dramatic rise to the top of the membership league table? The facilities have been there for a good number of years but it is only this year that they have risen to the number one spot.
For any club, membership usually is predetermined on how effective and hard working the club registrar is and I would respectfully suggest that he or she, or the committe as a collective are the single biggest factor in obtaining membership.
Of course the popularity of the game in a particular community, the size of the population and the success of the club will all contribute to how easy or difficult membership collection will be but I have no doubt some clubs languishing in the lower end of the table have the potential to increase their membership if they made a bit more effort.
They might not get to the same levels as the top four or five clubs but even a modest 25% increase could mean a great deal for a club profile

phpearse

Must say I'm very surprised to see the Pearses top of the memberhip league in Tyrone. I would have thought that we would be a smallish club in the scheme of things but these figures would suggest otherwise. I'm not sure how many families are in the parish but by the looks of it nearly every individual in the area is a member of the club. We do have some very active members in the club who collect membership every year and it is to their credit that they do so. We also have a committe that are very supportive of the players and very forward looking. Our facilities are very good and we have recently extended the gym with new equipment. There are also plans to futher develop the grounds and training facilities. Nice to be top of any league that contains Errigal and Carmen!!

realredhandfan

and with the mighty Pats topping the league from a football point of view, could it be argued that the parish of Donaghmore has been the stron ;)gest GAA parish this year in Tyrone.

never kickt a ball

Cheers Fionn! Good explanation. Nothings ever simple is it?

realredhandfan

What about this Tyrone panel, is it still training away,  Who is going well?  any updates on our injured stars?

phpearse

Courtsey of the Irish News.com:

TYRONE boss Mickey Harte last night revealed injured duo Brian McGuigan and Brian Dooher could be back in action for the early stages of the National Football League campaign. Both players have already returned to light training, while Conor Gormley is also close to full fitness.

McGuigan suffered a broken leg and missed the Red Hands' ill-fated Championship campaign last summer, while Dooher's season was truncated by a serious knee injury.

Speaking at last night's Gaelic Life-sponsored Dr McKenna Cup launch at Belfast's Malone Lodge Hotel, Harte said that Dooher and McGuigan are back training on grass.

"Conor Gormley is ahead of the pack in terms of getting back," said Harte. "Brian Dooher and Brian McGuigan would be on a similar footing. The physio is working with both of them and they're working on grass on their own and I'm hoping they can join in some of our training in five or six weeks time.

"Brian Dooher hopes to be back available at the end of January and Brian McGuigan will be just a little bit behind that.

"And then you've got Colin Holmes and Ciaran Gourley after that. That's five players who will be back over time. But it could be as far as April before the last of them is back, maybe even into May."

Without some of their top players, Tyrone exited the Ulster Championship [to Derry] and the All-Ireland Qualifiers [to Laois] at early stages.

"Who can say what we might have achieved had we some of those injured players available to us last season?" said the Tyrone manager.

"I certainly believe we would have went much further in both the Ulster Championship and the All-Ireland series. Even with the injuries, we believe we should have done better.

"Had we beaten Laois we could have gone on quite a way, but we didn't get the scores we needed in the second half. I don't know if we'd have been able to go the whole way – and the whole way is the only thing that's any good. I don't know if we would have had the power or the appetite to go the whole way, but I'd love to get a season with all our players available."

Harte also plans to try out several young players during the McKenna Cup campaign with the county's clash with old rivals Derry being shown 'live' on January 14 by TG4. Indeed, the Irish medium channel has joined forces with the Ulster Council and new GAA magazine, Gaelic Life, to boost the competition's profile.

Harte added: "We've had a fairly extensive trial period over the last six or seven weeks; we're training with an enlarged squad over the next three or four weeks and then we'll pick a squad from the McKenna Cup.

"I'm happy that there are new players there worth giving a try. They have to experience and understand what it's like to play at the next level.

"The McKenna Cup is well placed in the calendar and teams want to be playing games at this time of the year. And isn't it great to be playing in a competition that you're not out if you lose one game?

"I think it's great preparation for the new season and I'm delighted the format is there and that there are new sponsors in Gaelic Life for the McKenna Cup."

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup 'live' games being shown by TG4: Sunday January 7: Derry v Cavan; Sunday January 14: Tyrone v Derry; Sunday January 21: Donegal v Down; Sunday January 28: semi-final: match to be confirmed; Saturday February 17: Final.

winghalfun

QuoteTwelve are suspended after brawl 

Fighting broke out after the semi-final at Casement Park
Twelve people have been suspended following the fighting which marred November's Ulster Club IFC semi-final between Ballymacnab and Stewartstown.
Four players have been handed massive 36-week bans after an ugly brawl broke out after the match at Casement Park.

The Ulster Council has also fined the clubs £1,675 but they were allowed to stay in the competition and will replay the game which ended in a draw.

Seven from Ballymacnab got suspensions along with five from Stewartstown.

Derry champions Coleraine have already qualified for the final.

The Ballymacnab players were - Philip McCone, Dwayne McParland 36 weeks; Stephen Kennedy 12 weeks; Christopher Kennedy, Paul Kennedy, Damien McGeown and Gary McKee eight weeks.

Stewartstown - Anton Coyle, Tony Donnelly 36 weeks; Barry Bleeks 24 weeks; Ryan Small eight weeks and Rory O'Neill four weeks.

Source BBC NI sport

Some hefty suspensions there.

Shit, sorry this topic already being discussed on the Ulster Championship thread. Just a wee bit out of practice on this new board.

realredhandfan

Great news indeed, does anybody think that all continuing to go well that this might be the most competitive Tyrone panel since Harte took over?

ziggysego

I think this panel could progress into one of the most competitive panels in Tyrone since the early 2000's. However, I think this year will be too soon. I think Harte is looking to the long term.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

The key now is to get the likes of Gormley, Dooher, McGuigan and Holmes fit whilst avoiding injuries to other leading lights in the mean time....perhaps time for Mickey to treat the McKenna and early stages of the NFL the way the likes of Wenger treats the Carling Cup.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gaelicman

Can anyone update a total list of managers for the various teams in Tyrone?There are so many changes across all divisions.Very hard to keep track of them all.

Norf Tyrone

Okie doke.
I'll edit and add as the names roll in..........

Aghyaran
An Charriag Mhor
Ardboe
Coalisland
Cookstown
Donaghmore
Dromore
Errigal Ciaran
Galbally
Killeeshil
Killyclogher
Omagh