Meath vs Donegal - 3rd time lucky??

Started by thejuice, July 08, 2019, 11:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

1 week turnaround is going to be a killer. It'll be interesting to see how we go but to honest I don't know how much fuel we have left in the tank for these three games but I think we can get a result somewhere and at the very least bloody a few noses of the big boys.

"Que sera sera" to be quite honest
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

meathie

yea the week turnaround might be abit too much for our lads but there is no pressure on us whatsoever and thats why we could cause an upset or two. I think Donegal is the hardest opposition of the 3 but weve ran them close the last 2 meetings (esp the league up in Ballybofey, we let that go ourselves in the end). Mayo Im not sure of though we always seem to put up a huge game against them and Kerry at home could be a real shoot out battle..... just never know whats going to happen......

rosnarun

Quote from: meathie on July 08, 2019, 11:56:01 AM
yea the week turnaround might be abit too much for our lads but there is no pressure on us whatsoever and thats why we could cause an upset or two. I think Donegal is the hardest opposition of the 3 but weve ran them close the last 2 meetings (esp the league up in Ballybofey, we let that go ourselves in the end). Mayo Im not sure of though we always seem to put up a huge game against them and Kerry at home could be a real shoot out battle..... just never know whats going to happen......
meats possible progression I woud rackn depends hugely on the fitness of Mickey newman , a class act
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thejuice

Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2019, 12:23:03 PM
Quote from: meathie on July 08, 2019, 11:56:01 AM
meats possible progression I woud rackn depends hugely on the fitness of Mickey newman , a class act

Absolutely. We'd win nothing without him this year. He was interviewed after the game and his injury didn't even get a mention so perhaps he's alright but nothing scientific about that
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

My thesis was proven correct and he's clear to play.

Team from the league final:

MEATH: Andrew Colgan; Seamus Lavin, Conor McGill, Shane Gallagher; James McEntee, Donal Keogan, Ronan Ryan; Bryan Menton, Shane McEntee; Cillian O'Sullivan, Ben Brennan, Bryan McMahon; Barry Dardis, Mickey Newman, Thomas O'Reilly.

Very consistent team selection this year as the core of that team would start on Sunday with maybe Ryan, Dardis and O'Reilly making way for Harnan, Conlon and McGovern with Graham Reilly also a potential starter.

The two McEntees havent nailed down starting places as yet and could be replaced for this game. Shane Walsh who made an appearance against Clare is being spoken about as a great prospect only got named among the subs for the first time at the weekend.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: thejuice on July 08, 2019, 11:34:49 AM
1 week turnaround is going to be a killer. It'll be interesting to see how we go but to honest I don't know how much fuel we have left in the tank for these three games but I think we can get a result somewhere and at the very least bloody a few noses of the big boys.

The one week turnaround didn't do Laois any harm in the hurling at the weekend. However it will be a big step up for Meath after Clare. Hopefully Meath can create a mighty shock.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

fearsiuil

thejuice

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 09, 2019, 07:45:20 AM
Quote from: thejuice on July 08, 2019, 11:34:49 AM

The one week turnaround didn't do Laois any harm in the hurling at the weekend. However it will be a big step up for Meath after Clare. Hopefully Meath can create a mighty shock.

I appreciate that and obviously I don't know how the legs are feeling but we've been going at a high level in terms of fitness all year to gain promotion etc. maybe it's just me that's feeling tired following them after all the short summers we've had.

As for Jinxy and Hardy, I'm not sure if they're still following Meath at all. Perhaps they'll be back when we have a realistic chance of some silverware.

Maroon Manc

I worry for Meath, I do think they'll perform a lot better this weekend then they did against Clare as the pressure is off but just don't think Meath have the quality required to cause Donegal enough problems. Do Meath have any quality forwards coming through? A few on social media seemed excited by Shane Walsh coming on last weekend.

StephenC

All teams looking to get off to a positive start so will be a big battle here. At home, and coming off a good run in Ulster, I'll be disappointed if we don't take this one by 3-4.

Clinker

Quote from: StephenC on July 09, 2019, 06:27:36 PM

I'll be disappointed if we don't take this one by 3-4.

Just checking on Paddy Power there,  3-4  -  they don't seem to do exact goals and points winning margins like that but Donegal to win by 13-15 points is priced at 7/1 so if Donegal take this by 3-4 or 3-5 or 3-6 you still would collect. (or 2-7 2-8 2-9 or 1-10 1-11 1-12 etc.)

BennyCake

Just watching Clare Meath highlights tonight. Newman colliding with post looked nasty. Was he ok afterwards?

sligoman2

Quote from: Clinker on July 09, 2019, 09:23:11 PM
Quote from: StephenC on July 09, 2019, 06:27:36 PM

I'll be disappointed if we don't take this one by 3-4.

Just checking on Paddy Power there,  3-4  -  they don't seem to do exact goals and points winning margins like that but Donegal to win by 13-15 points is priced at 7/1 so if Donegal take this by 3-4 or 3-5 or 3-6 you still would collect. (or 2-7 2-8 2-9 or 1-10 1-11 1-12 etc.)

My head is spinning, could you please explain what the last sentences means in terms of odds . 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

meathie

Quote from: BennyCake on July 09, 2019, 10:56:35 PM
Just watching Clare Meath highlights tonight. Newman colliding with post looked nasty. Was he ok afterwards?
Yea it didn't look great but as far as we know he's good to go as thejuice said. Dead leg and head injury but all ok 🤞

sid waddell

Meath are going to lose all three games in this group.

But the key to who qualifies may be how they perform in each game - a three way tie between Kerry, Donegal and Mayo is a big possibility.

Given that they're starting from scratch in this group, and coming off the back of a morale boosting win, you'd logically expect them to put in their best performance against Donegal.

If they fall behind early against Mayo, it's curtains for them in the championship. How they react to that will tell a tale. Teams can often completely give up in Croke Park, Roscommon against Tyrone last year is an example.

One thing I'm certain of is that if Kerry need a win in their final game and Meath are already out, they'll be cannon fodder, Navan or no Navan.

That's why if it comes to scoring difference, I'd be backing Kerry to be one of the teams that gets through.