Tyrone Retirements

Started by Muzz, November 14, 2014, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

Stephen O'Neill and Martin Penrose retired.  Great players!

More to follow?

Fuzzman

No doubt the Monaghan lads will have something to say about Penrose
How many AI medals did he get? 2

I'm actually happy to see Stevie retire so he can ease those weary limbs now for our club.

AZOffaly

Stephen O'Neill was a fantastic forward, one of the best I've seen. I still think that Full Forward line of Mulligan, Canavan and O'Neill is up there with the greatest full forward lines of all time. It's almost a pity that Stevie hung on so long that he will go out with a whimper, because in his pomp he was as good as anyone. Fantastic kicking style, strong and just purred along like a rolls royce.

I hope he enjoys the retirement, he was a legend.

mb80b60

Penrose won't be much of a miss.

Stevie should never have came back out of retirement.  A very good footballer on his day, but not one of the greats in my opinion.  Last year he was a shadow of his former self and was sniffed out of games too easily.  Nevertheless, he has plenty of medals to look back on and I wish him all the best. 

Puckoon

There are not too many counties in Ireland that wouldn't have wanted an O'Neill in his pomp, He will always be one of the greats in my opinion. A marquee forward who could hit them left or right and from obscene angles. He had it all, including some bad luck with injuries.

I believe it was Abbey CBS we were playing in 1998 (I know because i was on the bench!), and Stevie burned them with a few early points off the left boot. The Abbey manager was screaming at his center back to stand him up, he's all left foot. Stevie turned the fella on a sixpence and thumped it over from the 45 with the right boot. Timing is everything, but that was an impressive score at 17/18 years of age.

Thanks for some great memories Stevie - enjoy your time now getting old and fat like the rest of us.

orangeman

Quote from: mb80b60 on November 14, 2014, 04:49:33 PM

Stevie should never have came back out of retirement.  A very good footballer on his day, but not one of the greats in my opinion.  Last year he was a shadow of his former self and was sniffed out of games too easily.  Nevertheless, he has plenty of medals to look back on and I wish him all the best.

Thank God he did cos we'd not have seen these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3cdgZqkIlI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K0gtQHHZ4A

theticklemister

Quote from: Puckoon on November 14, 2014, 05:01:23 PM
There are not too many counties in Ireland that wouldn't have wanted an O'Neill in his pomp, He will always be one of the greats in my opinion. A marquee forward who could hit them left or right and from obscene angles. He had it all, including some bad luck with injuries.

I believe it was Abbey CBS we were playing in 1998 (I know because i was on the bench!), and Stevie burned them with a few early points off the left boot. The Abbey manager was screaming at his center back to stand him up, he's all left foot. Stevie turned the fella on a sixpence and thumped it over from the 45 with the right boot. Timing is everything, but that was an impressive score at 17/18 years of age.

Thanks for some great memories Stevie - enjoy your time now getting old and fat like the rest of us.

What school he go to?

I thought he went to st. Columbs in Derry?

ziggysego

Quote from: theticklemister on November 14, 2014, 05:58:52 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 14, 2014, 05:01:23 PM

What school he go to?

I thought he went to st. Columbs in Derry?

He was a year below me at St Joseph's High School in Plumbridge. Went to CBS Omagh to do his A Levels.

Fantastic footballer and a modest man. Will be missed from the Tyrone camp. He put his body on the line on so many occasions for his county and owes us nothing.
Testing Accessibility

mb80b60

Quote from: orangeman on November 14, 2014, 05:34:48 PM

Thank God he did cos we'd not have seen these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3cdgZqkIlI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K0gtQHHZ4A

Those were fantastic scores alright, but Stevie was very wasteful upon his return.  He shot from angles like that far too much - just because the odd one came off doesn't make it the correct decision.  Those in the videos are the exceptions rather than the rule. Actually, shooting from those very acute angles probably highlights how far away goal he had to go to win ball.  He wasn't effective around the hustle and bustle of the square.  He seemed to lose some of his power and strength after returning.

In any case, he was for a couple of years a very good player for Tyrone and I hope he enjoys his retirement.  As I said, not one of the greats, but a very good player nonetheless.

laceer

Will be remembered as one of Tyrones' greatest ever. Supremely talented forward and an absolute joy to watch. Thanks for the memories Stevie.

theticklemister

Yip Bob Marley is correct, one of Tyrones best ever and for a Tyrone not a bad Oul critter.

I rated penrose highly, he use to cause derry endless problems

5 Sams

Quote from: laceer on November 14, 2014, 06:58:20 PM
Will be remembered as one of Tyrones' greatest ever. Supremely talented forward and an absolute joy to watch. Thanks for the memories Stevie.

+1
The Aristocrat Years

BennyHarp

::) I'd say as a 10 year old you probably won't have seen him at his best.

For those of us who had the pleasure to witness him in his pomp, he was an absolute joy to watch. His point scoring from outrageous angles was unequalled and he his radar seemed perfectly set at Croker. Fair play to him for soldiering on for the past few years and it's just a pity he didn't get another opportunity to clip one over from the end line at Croke Park. Thanks for the great memories Stevie - a proper legend!
That was never a square ball!!

mb80b60

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 14, 2014, 07:37:27 PM

::) I'd say as a 10 year old you probably won't have seen him at his best.

For those of us who had the pleasure to witness him in his pomp, he was an absolute joy to watch. His point scoring from outrageous angles was unequalled and he his radar seemed perfectly set at Croker. Fair play to him for soldiering on for the past few years and it's just a pity he didn't get another opportunity to clip one over from the end line at Croke Park. Thanks for the great memories Stevie - a proper legend!

10 year old?  Apologies Granddad.

As I've already said a couple of times he was a very good footballer, but not one of the greats. Unfortunately he soldiered on a bit too long and this year he was very poor. 

But good luck to him, he seems a nice lad and has plenty of silverware in the cabinet.

ONeill

In 2005 he was untouchable. He torched Bellew that year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.