Boeing 737 max

Started by Main Street, March 11, 2019, 12:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

You arrive at the airport and find out that the plane you're due to fly on is a Boeing 737 max and the airline is one of those remaining that have not suspended it from the fleet.
What do you do?

Jeepers Creepers

Turn on your heels or ask for a glass of Milk they used to give B.A from the A-team before flying.

J70

Flew in one on Norwegian Air a couple of months ago. :o :(

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on March 11, 2019, 12:31:07 PM

Not this one I hope  :D

https://simpleflying.com/norwegian-boeing-737-is-stuck-in-iran-after-in-flight-fault/

The (737)jet took off from Dubai last night on a normal flight back to Norway, when the 2-month-old plane experience engine trouble. It had to perform an emergency descent from 32,000 feet to land at Shiraz International Airport, Iran.
They had to circle many times to burn/dump fuel and shut down one of their engines.

general_lee

When I heard about the Ethiopia Airlines disaster I was expecting it to be some 40 year old hen house. Who is at fault here? Normally it's pilot error and I'm no aviation expert but it doesn't look good for Boeing that this is the second air disaster involving these planes in under 6 months.

J70

Quote from: Main Street on March 11, 2019, 12:37:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 11, 2019, 12:31:07 PM

Not this one I hope  :D

https://simpleflying.com/norwegian-boeing-737-is-stuck-in-iran-after-in-flight-fault/

The (737)jet took off from Dubai last night on a normal flight back to Norway, when the 2-month-old plane experience engine trouble. It had to perform an emergency descent from 32,000 feet to land at Shiraz International Airport, Iran.
They had to circle many times to burn/dump fuel and shut down one of their engines.

Fortunately, no. :)

Norwegian does a budget flight from Newburgh, about an hour north of NYC, to Dublin.

But it was definitely a 737 Max that day.

Main Street

Quote from: general_lee on March 11, 2019, 12:41:52 PM
When I heard about the Ethiopia Airlines disaster I was expecting it to be some 40 year old hen house. Who is at fault here? Normally it's pilot error and I'm no aviation expert but it doesn't look good for Boeing that this is the second air disaster involving these planes in under 6 months.

That's 2 disasters plus all the incidents that you don't hear about.
Looks like Boeing's findings into what caused the first disaster was either erroneous or there are more serious faults.

Boeing is said to be warning its 737 Max customers about erroneous cockpit readings that could make the passenger jet 'aggressively dive'
https://www.businessinsider.com/boeing-warning-737-max-customers-about-erroneous-cockpit-readings-2018-11?r=US&IR=T

TabClear

Early to speculate but there do seem to be similarities with the Lion Air crash. Issues with a new anti-stall piece of software were referenced in the first crash.  I think Boeing were due to or had already issued a software update. Radar/reports from yesterday appears to indicate similar trends.

Awful tragedy.

Boycey

There were two experts on the Sean O 'Rourke show on Rte Radio 1 who were worth a listen, I'm sure it's available online 

Edit: https://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/programmes/2019/0311/1035689-today-with-sean-orourke-monday-11-march-2019/?clipid=103062638#103062638

Main Street

Any chance the 737's computer is called Hal 9000?

Eamonnca1

Sounds like you need to update your impressions of Ethiopia.

"Ethiopia is Africa's fastest-growing economy

Ethiopia's rise has been largely driven by an increase in industrial activity, including investments in infrastructure and manufacturing.

A recent research paper suggests Ethiopia can be the new China, because it has been improving its road and rail connections, and has good air connections. In addition, the report's authors say that Ethiopia has a stable administration that sees manufacturing as a central part of its growth strategy."

Full story: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/05/ethiopia-africa-fastest-growing-economy/

general

I see Norweigan Air have grounded its fleet - they fly Dublin - New York

playwiththewind1st

More like the Irish Aviation Authority took the decision for them.

Main Street

Europe wide ban now for the 737s,  but declared safe in the USA,  lucky buggers those Americans.

J70

Quote from: Main Street on March 12, 2019, 06:30:21 PM
Europe wide ban now for the 737s,  but declared safe in the USA,  lucky buggers those Americans.

One wonders what the response would have been to an Airbus plane?