Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Let's just simplify this .
We all agree that Dublin have advantages.
Their biggest advantage is their population, but currently splitting Dublin and breaking away from the County system is very controversial and not likely to happen any time soon, so let's park that.
All the other advantages I have listed can be changed however and are not controversial in any way because they are so ridiculously biased and unfair.
Get rid of those unfair advantages and I suspect the clamour for the nuclear option of splitting Dublin will die down, and Dublin's exceptional role models will get the universal recognition they deserve.

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on December 29, 2020, 02:29:53 PM

For Christmas I got garden gnomes in Dublin Jersies for the garden for example and plaques to commemorate the 5 and 6 in a row.

I hope you have a big garden, there will be a lot of Gnomes that will be needed in the coming years.

6th sam

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 29, 2020, 06:24:07 PM

For Christmas I got garden gnomes in Dublin Jersies for the garden for example and plaques to commemorate the 5 and 6 in a row.

I hope you have a big garden, there will be a lot of Gnomes that will be needed in the coming years.

Not a smart move, sure we all know that gnomes
Look dreadful when they're tarnished

Milltown Row2

Would need to have Dublin b gnomes once it's split
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 29, 2020, 03:38:52 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 27, 2020, 06:31:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 06:27:44 PM
What I do see is that Mayo people know more about football than anyone else.

They don't care about improving the football championship. They're only interested in trying to weaken Dublin so they have a better chance to win the All Ireland. What every other county does is irrelevant

That, my friend, is a complete load of bullocks!
You never heard anyone else connected with the Mayo team say that.
Andy Moran is on record as saying that the Mayo team are ready to take Dublin on at any time and I don't think anything has changed since he said it.

The Mayo team are one of the few teams in the country not afraid to take on Dublin. Its the whinging Mayo posters on this MB who are only interested in weakening Dublin

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 29, 2020, 08:50:01 PM
Would need to have Dublin b gnomes once it's split

No more than ourselves, you don't need a garden!

dublin7

That's a fair point. I have a signed and framed piece of memrobelia of Cluxton lifting the trophy each year for the 5 in a row. Do I buy another picture and frame for the 6 in a row?

These are the issues with following such a successful county. It can be expensive as well. Going out celebrating all these brilliant achievements isn't cheap. Having said that not getting to any championship games this year was a killer so hopefully next year my friends and I can will be able to get to attend games again and enjoy all the fun that goes with following this amazing football team

Owenmoresider

Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 10:00:57 PMI have to laugh at the idea Dublin should be split and everything in the football championship will be great again. It devalues the Dublin jersey, will be of no interest to Dublin fans and more importantly who is going to pay for the new stadiums for both sides?
It's almost like Parnell Park doesn't exist.

Although given how often Dublin play there I guess it might as well not.

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on December 29, 2020, 09:20:58 PM

That's a fair point. I have a signed and framed piece of memrobelia of Cluxton lifting the trophy each year for the 5 in a row. Do I buy another picture and frame for the 6 in a row?

These are the issues with following such a successful county. It can be expensive as well. Going out celebrating all these brilliant achievements isn't cheap. Having said that not getting to any championship games this year was a killer so hopefully next year my friends and I can will be able to get to attend games again and enjoy all the fun that goes with following this amazing football team

I suppose you can spend all that money you save on not travelling to matches every year.  Not to mention all the time you have on your hands on match day.  I suppose the lockdown probably made little or more difference to you?

dublin7

Quote from: Owenmoresider on December 29, 2020, 09:25:06 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 10:00:57 PMI have to laugh at the idea Dublin should be split and everything in the football championship will be great again. It devalues the Dublin jersey, will be of no interest to Dublin fans and more importantly who is going to pay for the new stadiums for both sides?
It's almost like Parnell Park doesn't exist.

Although given how often Dublin play there I guess it might as well not.
[/quote
That's health and safety these days. What can you do? Just ask Kildare fans about Newbridge or nowhere.

Good to see there are some people who can look at Dublin and see they have their own issues to deal with. Thanks for that

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 29, 2020, 09:27:48 PM

I suppose you can spend all that money you save on not travelling to matches every year.  Not to mention all the time you have on your hands on match day.  I suppose the lockdown probably made little or more difference to you?

It's sad that you can be so flippant about lockdown and businesses/people losing their jobs/livelihood. I almost feel sorry for you if that's your mentality.

Although our company signed up for the wage subsidy scheme we have remained open throughout this pandemic. It's been a tough year for most people (not you obviously) and looking forward in my opinion is important. Hopefully the Pfizer/Modena vaccines will work and going to games again will be something everyone can do

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on December 29, 2020, 09:35:54 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 29, 2020, 09:27:48 PM

It's sad that you can be so flippant about lockdown and businesses/people losing their jobs/livelihood. I almost feel sorry for you if that's your mentality.

Although our company signed up for the wage subsidy scheme we have remained open throughout this pandemic. It's been a tough year for most people (not you obviously) and looking forward in my opinion is important. Hopefully the Pfizer/Modena vaccines will work and going to games again will be something everyone can do

I am sorry to hear that! Can't be easy!

armaghniac

Leitrim could play Mayo in a ploughed field and it wouldn't make a difference. Mayo have advantages that Leitrim can't compete with. That's just the way it is. Most people don't care about that though. They're just obsessed with Dublin and hate to see them so successful.

More whataboutery. Never mind Leitrim, what are you going to do about the elephant in the room, Dublin?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Mayowestros has 3.3 times the population of Leitrim.
Dublin has TWELVE times the population of Mayowestros.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: armaghniac on December 29, 2020, 11:41:36 PM
Leitrim could play Mayo in a ploughed field and it wouldn't make a difference. Mayo have advantages that Leitrim can't compete with. That's just the way it is. Most people don't care about that though. They're just obsessed with Dublin and hate to see them so successful.

More whataboutery. Never mind Leitrim, what are you going to do about the elephant in the room, Dublin?

Nothing. I don't work for the GAA. What exactly am I expected to do? Also you've got your priorities all screwed up. What you should be focusing on is what are Dublin doing that we're not

One simple fix is the Leinster championship. If people want Dublin to play less games in Croke Park in Leinster then have their county board delegate bring it up with the Leinster council. All the other Leinster counties are the one's voting to keep dubs games in Croker. It's ironic that fans of Leinster counties complain about the dubs playing in Croker when their own county voted for it

What about the Munster championship? Does one win in 85 years for Tipp prove that's not a joke of a competition?

Kerry must be laughing at the rest of Ireland's obsession with Dublin given their easy stroll through Munster every year.(This year was a freak result as proved by Cork's efforts against Tipp in the Munster final)

It's gas that Leitrim are irrelevant to you, but then they're not stopping anyone winning the All Ireland, so who gives a f**k about them.