The Patronising Dublin Fan Thread

Started by Sidney, August 09, 2014, 11:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 09:26:22 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on December 05, 2020, 09:20:33 PM
Very true, if only the Leitrim footballers got off their fat asses and got down to the gym in Carrick , football could be saved.
Oh, and gobbled up their Protein shakes and got their  volunteers out of their beds.
You'd miss the old days when Leitrim were beating Dublin in the championship and winning All-Irelands

You're miss the old days when Dublin struggled like everyone else to put together a decent team

https://youtu.be/O3G1bwD0ao0

Before the championship.was turned into a procession for one team

thejuice

There was a Dublin lad on Facebook telling me that the Dubs are just hungrier and train harder than everyone else because he knows a lad who would know. I asked him to name one thing he knew that other counties weren't currently doing that could close the gap. He said he didn't know but that evidence from what was on the pitch was that they weren't trying hard enough.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: sid waddell on December 06, 2020, 12:35:05 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on December 06, 2020, 12:06:43 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 11:49:13 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 05, 2020, 11:39:45 PM
The AI final ain't the problem Sid.

The problem is that every other game is such a pronounced mismatch; an anti-spectacle.

There is always cannon fodder in every representative sport. But when every other team is cannon fodder to just one , then it's no longer sport.

That's where we are at now.
You contradicted yourself there

You said the All-Ireland final is not the problem, then claimed every other team is cannon fodder

But they aren't - as you admitted, before denying it

I'm not the person that's defending the indefensible - I'm not the person that's whinging, and calling for the end of inter-county football because they don't like the results over the last few years

That seems pretty indefensible to me
😂😂Keep it up long enough and you might even convince yourself. Remind me, do we always play Gibraltar at home?
Do the West Coast Eagles ever get an AFL Grand Final against a Victorian team in Perth, rather than the MCG?

Do the Brisbane Broncos ever get an NRL Grand Final against a New South Wales team in Brisbane, rather than Stadium Australia?

The anti-Dublin crowd are big in internet cliches like "keep it up", but short on arguments other than them not liking the results of matches

But they don't get to play every game on the way to the final in their own ground
And Croke park is their own ground since they started playing league games there

sid waddell

Quote from: thejuice on December 06, 2020, 08:19:51 AM
There was a Dublin lad on Facebook telling me that the Dubs are just hungrier and train harder than everyone else because he knows a lad who would know. I asked him to name one thing he knew that other counties weren't currently doing that could close the gap. He said he didn't know but that evidence from what was on the pitch was that they weren't trying hard enough.
In Meath's case I would suggest getting a manager who knows what he's doing

Meath's record at club level is abysmal, their record at underage level in this century is very poor

I'd have a look at why that is

How many Leinster titles have Meath teams won? How many Leinster finals have Meath teams even reached?

Meath have big suburban population centres - Ashbourne, Dunboyne, Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Trim and Navan obviously - young populations

It's a wealthy county with a massive football tradition

If I was Kildare, I'd approach Jim Gavin, he's only up the road in Clondalkin, probably quicker for him to get to Newbridge than to get to Parnell Park

From the Bunker

Quote from: sid waddell on December 06, 2020, 10:30:59 AM

Meath's record at club level is abysmal, their record at underage level in this century is very poor

How many Leinster titles have Meath teams won? How many Leinster finals have Meath teams even reached?

Meath have big suburban population centres - Ashbourne, Dunboyne, Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Trim and Navan obviously - young populations

If I was Kildare, I'd approach Jim Gavin, he's only up the road in Clondalkin, probably quicker for him to get to Newbridge than to get to Parnell Park

Do you think Jim Gavin would be able to do all the things you have mentioned above?

sid waddell

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 06, 2020, 11:13:09 AM

Do you think Jim Gavin would be able to do all the things you have mentioned above?
Jim Gavin can coach a team to a much higher standard than the incumbent

Same as Mick O'Dwyer did compared to Pat Fitzgerald and Dermot Earley and Colm Browne

Same as James Horan did compared to John O'Mahony

Same as Jim McGuinness did compared to John Joe Doherty

If Jim Gavin took over the Kildare team, the county would be electrified, every player in the county would be desperate to play

From the Bunker

Quote from: sid waddell on December 06, 2020, 11:19:08 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 06, 2020, 11:13:09 AM

Jim Gavin can coach a team to a much higher standard than the incumbent

Same as Mick O'Dwyer did compared to Pat Fitzgerald and Dermot Earley and Colm Browne

Same as James Horan did compared to John O'Mahony

Same as Jim McGuinness did compared to John Joe Doherty

If Jim Gavin took over the Kildare team, the county would be electrified, every player in the county would be desperate to play

But you are talking in your post about the Club and underage system - what would Jim Gavin do there?

thewobbler

How these sporting monopolies usually end: the influence of the key individuals involved in creating the dominance begin to wane.

It's usually down to advancing years catching up on the players, and then one of the teams who've patiently waited for things to unravel a little, puts in a tremendous shift to the tilt the balance.

The other major factor is a tilt in hunger, desire, ambition. So younger players coming in will initially enjoy the benefits of learning just what it takes, from masters of the trade, and thrive in the environment provided to them. The benefits are instantaneous, meaning all their career ambitions tend to be achieved at an early age. It then requires a genuinely innate personal greed to sustain a complete focus in athletic pursuit, once those goals have been achieved. Moreso again in a team environment, where the vast majority of players would have to share the same greed. Which is why a 5-in-a-row doesn't happen very often, even if the age profile suggests it can.

As such the retirements of Flynn, Brogan, Connolly, McCaffrey, McAuley and O'Sullivan, plus the advancing years of Cooper, McMahon, Fitzsimmons and Andrews, along with Gavin stepping down, should at least have opened up a transition period - if not quite the end.

But all these changes have only made Dublin stronger. They are not  just sustaining performance levels, they are advancing them.

So trying to understand how this is possible, should really focus on why it's even physiologically possible, in an amateur sport.

And for me, the "why?" is directly related to a Dublin infrastructure - some of it official, but most of it associated trappings - that has been created, which provides players with sufficient enough commercial rewards, that a fear of losing those rewards vastly trumps the usually mitigating emotions of boredom and fulfilled ambition.

Put simply, the life afforded to Dublin county players must be a substantially more attractive and financially rewarding life, than the lives these players otherwise would lead.

The result is that Dublin play absolutely breathtaking, almost flawless football.

Sport without flaws is a wonderful thing to experience occasionally. You can define moments in your life around seeing sporting perfection being achieved.

But when experienced regularly, sporting perfection is dull. There's no other word for it. Dull.

—-

The good news is that eventually Dublin will end up eating itself; their dominance will become so utterly frustrating and predictable, that media exposure will dry up, and sponsors will be less proactive about coughing up the rewards. And when most of the starting team have to keep an eye not just on their real job, but their long term careers too, then some semblance of normality will return.

The bad news is this process is unlikely to happen before 10 in a row.

Enjoy your success Dubs. I marvel at how simply you make the game look. But it's impossible to look forward to a championship game involving your county.

Milltown Row2

So the financial trappings (would like a link to all that) is what's making Dublin so much better?

To use Man City as an example, they should never lose a title or a match, given their financial clout
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lar Naparka

Glad to be of service, sid.
To put your mind at rest, Meath has won 21 Leinsters, second to Dublin with 58.

https://leinstergaa.ie/leinster-gaa/archive/leinster-gaa-roll-honour/football-champions-roll-honour/leinster-g-s-f-c/
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 12:24:18 PM
So the financial trappings (would like a link to all that) is what's making Dublin so much better?

To use Man City as an example, they should never lose a title or a match, given their financial clout

It's not the same thing MR2. Every person who features in 20 games for City will retire a multimillionaire, regardless of what happens past the current season. After a couple of seasons, their alternative life away from football is one where they never have to lift a hand again, if that way inclined, or one in which they can afford to invest heavily in anything that takes their fancy. So if they land a few major trophies, and every trapping imaginable to fall back upon, it takes a great man manager, to keep everyone focused and motivated or to make quick changes when he cannot  (which is why there are so few great football managers).

Dublin players are enjoying the lifestyle of a professional athlete. They'll never get rich from it, like they could in other sports, but the current mechanisms provide the opportunity to live very comfortably while concentrating on sport. But there is no continuity available. if they stop playing, or lose their place on the panel, they will need to do something else, and probably work bloody hard, to achieve a similar lifestyle.

From the Bunker

How far ahead do you think Man City are of the chasing bunch in the Premiership, money wise? % wise?

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 06, 2020, 01:25:19 PM

How far ahead do you think Man City are of the chasing bunch in the Premiership, money wise? % wise?
The EPL is professional.  6 in a row would kill TV revenue.
They spread the money around.

sid waddell

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 06, 2020, 01:00:59 PM

Glad to be of service, sid.
To put your mind at rest, Meath has won 21 Leinsters, second to Dublin with 58.

https://leinstergaa.ie/leinster-gaa/archive/leinster-gaa-roll-honour/football-champions-roll-honour/leinster-g-s-f-c/
Now, now, you're just being sarky

How many Leinster titles have Meath won at club level?

Dunshaughlin won one around 2002, I think Graham Reilly's team got through to a junior or intermediate All-Ireland final the other year, apart from that I can't remember anything

Meath teams routinely go out in the first round in the Leinster SFC

The standard of club football there seems low and the interest seems very low, I think about 1k attended a recent final, one of the ones Navan O'Mahony's won

seafoid

Yiz are all jealous
Sore losers
Kildare should get a decent manager
Colm O'Rourke was basically pushing the Homer Simpson line - if something is too difficult, quit
Meath should concentrate