Tadhg Kennelly

Started by SS_17, May 20, 2007, 03:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SS_17

Big Swans fan in Oz here. Kennelly played a great game today in his return from injury after dislocating his kneecap 4 weeks ago or so. Such a shame he is returning to Ireland in 2-3 years time to play Gaelic Football. (No disrespect intended) He has been immense for the Swans since he cracked the starting line up and has been one of, if not, the best rebounding defender in the AFL. Do you Irish folk get a chance to see him in action? Wonderful player to watch and i think a lot of other AFL clubs are envious about the way we picked him up. A few other clubs have done the same recently though, in particular Carlton with the O'hAilpin brothers. Havent;t seen much Aisiake, but Setanta is getting a decent run in the team now. Looks awkward at times, but he is steadily proving himself.

hitzelsperger

Kennelly a "genuine star": Roos

By Ben Broad, for sydneyswans.com.au
News

SYDNEY Swans coach Paul Roos lavished praise on his dashing defender Tadhg Kennelly after the Irishman helped orchestrate the Swans' 31-point win over Port Adelaide at the SCG on Sunday.

Teaming with fellow half-backman Nick Malceski, Kennelly's run out of defence was a highlight for the Swans as they downed the ladder leaders 17.16 (118) to 13.9 (87).

Making Kennelly's 25-possession performance all the more remarkable was the fact it was his first match back since dislocating his left knee against Melbourne in round five, an injury which looked set to leave him sidelined for up to six weeks.

But he capped his quickfire recovery with a magnificent return, proving his worth to the Swans and showing just what a lethal combination he and Malceski might prove as the season rolls on.

Roos said Kennelly lifted the Swans with his ability to run and carry the ball from the back half.

"It was outstanding," Roos said.

"He's probably a fair bit sorer than what he even let on to the medical staff and certainly the coaching staff.

"But he's just so mentally tough. He loves to play, he loves the contest and he's become a genuine star of the competition now. To do what he did today, not many guys can do that."

Roos said Sunday's win would restore some pride in the Harbour City after some had questioned his team's hunger following successive losses.

"It was impressive from the guys. It was good to get back to the way we want to play and against a good team too, that's been playing some really good football."

"Hopefully it'll give the guys a lot of confidence but it's only one win and we need to get a bit of consistency."

The Swans beat the competition's top side to improve to a 4-4 win-loss record but must maintain a similar level of intensity next week when they face the young legs of the Western Bulldogs at Manuka Oval.

Drop that game and the doubters - who had labeled Roos' team 'old' in the lead-up to their clash with Port - might start raising their eyebrows again.

The Swans coach said the question with his men is not one of age but of desire.

"I've never ever thought we're an old team," Roos said.

"I think it's more about hunger. When you're up for so long it's just about maintaining that competitive edge.

"We saw today that when they're hungry and they're hard and they're tough and they're playing their roles that they're a very good side."

Kennelly is a bloody quality player, just wants to play footbal no bumping and shit like thatl...has adapted to the oval ball brilliantly and as you said is one of the best rebound defenders in the game...theres plenty of other players ere in ireland could star in the AFL

magickingdom

Kennelly is a super athlete and a joy to watch either at gaa or afl. delighted to see a few irish guys down there now as they will all improve and learn from the experience. saw a bit of programme on martin clarke from down (i think) a while back and hes loving it

Hardy

What's a rebounding defender?

SS_17

Quote from: Hardy on May 21, 2007, 10:58:43 AM
What's a rebounding defender?

In AFL it's known as a defender thats able to set up attack from defense, being able to carry the ball from the backline and send a kick into the attacking half to set up scoring opportunities, as opposed to just normal full backs who's job is to shut down the strongest opposition forward. Kennelly, is one of the best at what he does in the AFL. (rebounding defender)  ;)

Hardy

Thanks. I thought it was one that bounced when you poleaxed him.  ;)

brokencrossbar1

QuoteThanks. I thought it was one that bounced when you poleaxed him.

Hardy, that would be a Tyrone defender :P

Kerry Mike

Kennelly is turning into a Horse of a footballer like his late great father Tim.

Will be interesting if he comes home to try and win that elusive AI senior medal he craves. Could be the man to replace Darragh OSe in the engine room but will have to prove himself again with the O'Neills number 5.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

hitzelsperger

mike i'd say tadgh will come back and it will be like he never left, id say his kicking etc will be first class, just gettin back to the lack of physical stuff and only having 4 steps will be his biggest problem...cant wait to see him back, he'll be hard to work with!