Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 18, 2018, 09:11:07 AM
Round robin format should always be at the start of a competition

They messed about with the one part of the competition that actually worked very well (1/4 final knockouts). Everyone knows the real issues are the competition before that, i.e. the inequity across provinces and the lack of competition within provinces.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: larryin89 on July 18, 2018, 11:02:42 AM
Can they tweak the super 8 or even scrap them for next year or is it set in stone for a set trial period?

3 years minimum.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Solo_run

If the GAA wanted to generate more revenue they should have introduced a league system at the start of the championship, perhaps even create conferences so fans can actually afford to go to games. This would mean that weaker county teams can develop their squads, everyone plays an equal amount of games

Instead we have a system that to me only benefits the top 4 teams in Ireland. Qualifier teams can play every weekend form round 1 all the way through to the super 8s without having a rest while the top teams have a few weeks in between games. Not only is it unfair on teams but the supporters to.

straightred

Quote from: Solo_run on July 18, 2018, 11:38:09 AM
If the GAA wanted to generate more revenue they should have introduced a league system at the start of the championship, perhaps even create conferences so fans can actually afford to go to games. This would mean that weaker county teams can develop their squads, everyone plays an equal amount of games

Instead we have a system that to me only benefits the top 4 teams in Ireland. Qualifier teams can play every weekend form round 1 all the way through to the super 8s without having a rest while the top teams have a few weeks in between games. Not only is it unfair on teams but the supporters to.

The dice is totally loaded.

Tyrone, monaghan and kildare are facing into their 5 weekend in a row. Their respective opposition are on their 2nd. Roscommon isn't quote as bad (3rd in a row)

Rossfan

That's the punishment you get for you losing in  your Provincial.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Solo_run

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2018, 11:54:28 AM

The likes of Antrim, Leitrim, Wicklow etc shouldn't be punished for being beaten by teams that are much stronger than them. They should be given more of an opportunity to develop rather than being given 2 games a season. If they are given the chance to develop, who knows, in a few years they could challenge and bring in bigger crowds

Rossfan

We were talking about Tyrone, Kildare etc.
So what's your plan for Antrim and Leitrim?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Solo_run

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2018, 01:00:06 PM
We were talking about Tyrone, Kildare etc.
So what's your plan for Antrim and Leitrim?

The likes of Tyrone, Kildare, Roscommon etc shouldn't be punished for losing their provincial games.

As for the likes of Antrim and Leitirm, it is simple, give them more games to develop.

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2018, 06:03:58 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 17, 2018, 06:01:11 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2018, 05:11:57 PM
If there are dead rubbers I wonder will there be an appetite for the fans to go? Or just the hardcore supporters.
Those at head office will probably still think things are wonderful regardless and may even bring in a Super 4 for the last 4 with the top two in the group reaching the All Ireland final imagine that..
I hate peeing on anybody's parade and I'd love to see see some merit in the present series of matches but round robin games don't fit easily into a championship structure and the Super 8s are no exception.
This weekend Kerry will play Monaghan in Clones. How many Kerry fans will make the long trek northwards? I can't see hordes of Donegal fans converging on the Hyde either and I feel that most Roscommon supporters will be afraid to turn up and pay good money to see their hopes annihilated. No insult intended to the Rossies here but it will be the shock of the century if they manage to beat a team that has to win to stay in the race for Sam.
Kildare and Galway may get a fair crowd but that's relative since the ground isn't up to intercounty standard and a sell out crowd will mean less than 10,000.
I know I'm  nitpicking here but the issues I am talking about should have been obvious to all before a ball was thrown in in any game.

Go back to your armchair psychoanalysis of posters and leave the football talk to the counties still in the championship.

Do you think roscommon are actually still in the championship???

Syferus

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 18, 2018, 01:40:34 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2018, 06:03:58 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 17, 2018, 06:01:11 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2018, 05:11:57 PM
If there are dead rubbers I wonder will there be an appetite for the fans to go? Or just the hardcore supporters.
Those at head office will probably still think things are wonderful regardless and may even bring in a Super 4 for the last 4 with the top two in the group reaching the All Ireland final imagine that..
I hate peeing on anybody's parade and I'd love to see see some merit in the present series of matches but round robin games don't fit easily into a championship structure and the Super 8s are no exception.
This weekend Kerry will play Monaghan in Clones. How many Kerry fans will make the long trek northwards? I can't see hordes of Donegal fans converging on the Hyde either and I feel that most Roscommon supporters will be afraid to turn up and pay good money to see their hopes annihilated. No insult intended to the Rossies here but it will be the shock of the century if they manage to beat a team that has to win to stay in the race for Sam.
Kildare and Galway may get a fair crowd but that's relative since the ground isn't up to intercounty standard and a sell out crowd will mean less than 10,000.
I know I'm  nitpicking here but the issues I am talking about should have been obvious to all before a ball was thrown in in any game.

Go back to your armchair psychoanalysis of posters and leave the football talk to the counties still in the championship.

Do you think roscommon are actually still in the championship???

:o

This wasn't as much of a zinger as you clearly thought it was in your head.

trailer

Quote from: Solo_run on July 18, 2018, 12:04:44 PM

The likes of Antrim, Leitrim, Wicklow etc shouldn't be punished for being beaten by teams that are much stronger than them. They should be given more of an opportunity to develop rather than being given 2 games a season. If they are given the chance to develop, who knows, in a few years they could challenge and bring in bigger crowds

Antrim have had 100 years or more to develop. They've a huge population. Giving them more games is not the silver bullet you think it is. Perhaps if they put a bit of work in at youth level and had some sort of plan they might then develop. Giving them more games and them taking huge tankings won't solve underlying fundamental issues that they have.
Leitrim granted are suffocated due to it's size, but barring a huge population surge they will also struggle. Games won't help.

Solo_run

Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 02:04:40 PM

Antrim have had 100 years or more to develop. They've a huge population. Giving them more games is not the silver bullet you think it is. Perhaps if they put a bit of work in at youth level and had some sort of plan they might then develop. Giving them more games and them taking huge tankings won't solve underlying fundamental issues that they have.
Leitrim granted are suffocated due to it's size, but barring a huge population surge they will also struggle. Games won't help.

You are right it will no solve it. However, having more than 2 games will be of more benefit to them.

The whole structure needs to change from the league all the way through to the super 8's.

Syferus

Quote from: Solo_run on July 18, 2018, 02:20:07 PM

You are right it will no solve it. However, having more than 2 games will be of more benefit to them.

The whole structure needs to change from the league all the way through to the super 8's.

Deck chairs on the fĂșcking Titanic.

Captain Obvious

The league is fine the best format the GAA have but it needs to be promoted better and made more important.

Solo_run

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 18, 2018, 02:26:11 PM

The league is fine the best format the GAA have but it needs to be promoted better and made more important.

But instead of the league being based on performance it should be on regional location.