Sad week for north Mayo

Started by rosnarun, October 19, 2007, 10:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

small white mayoman

read that during the week ros but the real reason she converted was because of her love of gaelic games, she wanted to join the mayo ladies team but after the darren greham affair she felt that the only way to avoid the verbals on the pitch was to convert, fair play to her i say ;)
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

guy crouchback

it seems they had to bring it down as it was becoming dangerous. a real pity because it was one of the most iconic images in north mayo. despite all the beautiful scenery it was this big concrete chimney that symbolised coming home to a lot of people. it also represented the only hope work wise for a lot of people in that area.

rosnarun

in its heyday

maybe the windmills will take the bare look off the place. Although im from very close to there i think after 40+ years of peat extraction it must be one of the uglyiest place in the country(though p and with a rapidly declining population. I really fear for the future. my old school has dropped in number from about 55 to 28 in the last ten years and very few under 5's in the area.
shows what happens to area without a TD for the last 15 years or so.
Maybe Dara callerey can do something his grandad Phelim opened the Station way back when
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mannix

Some say it was an inside job.I think it was just built on a bad foundation.
Sorry to see it go.

muppet

I loved seeing it as a kid, hated it as an insult to nature as an adult, but will definately miss it the next time I head to Belmullet.

Mixed felings.  ???
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Yes it with be funny to drive by and not see the tower however it was a really ugly building,however is was the only bit of hope we had in North Mayo during the lean years when there was no work to be had.On a side note does any one know the right story about the musical bridge in Bellacorrick and why the final stones were never layed on it?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

John Thomas OToole

Not surprised at all to see such indecisiveness about this tower. Mayo people must be the stupidest people in Ireland. Imagine reelecting Beverley Cooper Flynn.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: John Thomas OToole on October 20, 2007, 09:50:04 AM
Not surprised at all to see such indecisiveness about this tower. Mayo people must be the stupidest people in Ireland. Imagine reelecting Beverley Cooper Flynn.
its been a while since i have seen a real live troll . ugly creatures aren't they 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001