USFC SF: Monaghan v Fermanagh - Sunday 3rd June at 2pm - Healy Park Omagh

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 29, 2018, 02:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Absolutely fantastic performance from Fermanagh.
The full back line were immense.  McManus didn't score from play, McCarron was subbed as was K Hughes. McCarthy was very easily contained when he came on as well.
Our half back line played very well.  James McMahon looked very comfortable in the sweeper role and made good use of the ball. 
Midfield was immense.  Won the majority of ball around the middle and we also won alot of breaking ball.
Upfront Sean did well as did Aidan Breen.  Corrigan did well from frees when he came on.
Seamie have only himself to blame for not starting. Would have been a very easy decision to throw Seamie on with 10 minutes to go but it was good to see Rory and co taking a strong stand.
Colm Walsh made a noticeable difference when he came on for Monaghan.  Glad he didn't start.
Fermanagh also left Monaghan with no choice but to go short with their kickouts. They stopped Began kicking it long and this snuffed out the direct goal threat.
We are horrible to play against but extremely well organised.
After today I have no fear of Donegal or Down.
We can beat either because we will make it a dogfight.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Emmett

Well that was pleasantly surprising! The match panned out how everyone expected, apart from the result of course. I was convinced Fermanagh would be in the game with 15 minutes to go but Monaghan would empty the bench and run out 3-4 point winners. Fair play to the team in refusing to let that happen when it so easily could have done so when 2 points down.

There seems to be a lot of negativity about this Fermanagh team from "neutrals" but what do they actually expect from us? Lie down and take a spanking like we used to? Play man on man and get battered? Rory is developing a system which is without doubt not pretty but at the moment it is effective and keeps us competitive in most games which is all we can ask for. Perhaps the quality of football will improve if he sticks around a bit and the young team grow more confident. If we win our first Ulster this year there will not be one man, woman or child that will give a damn about how it was done. Feck the begrudgers!

There are a few obvious deficiencies with the Fermanagh team/squad but heart, effort and commitment are not any of them!

Back to the match I felt the midfield was superb but could make better decisions when on the ball at times (nit picking). Aidan Breen was excellent until he ran out of steam. Barry Mulrone was disciplined and defended excellently. Che and Lee Cullen had their best performances in the green jersey in my opinion. However, MOTM for me was James McMahon who defended brilliantly, read the game well, won breaking ball and also kept possession when on the ball.

Not one player can be faulted, bar Seamie for his behaviour who I hope has received a serious wake up call. The only negative from an otherwise good performance and brilliant result.

Targetman

Fair play to Fermanagh, they did what they had to, was big Seamie on the beer during the week?

tonto1888

What's the story with seamus Quigley? I'm assuming he wasn't injured as bbc said

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Emmett on June 03, 2018, 08:46:32 PM
.... If we win our first Ulster this year there will not be one man, woman or child that will give a damn about how it was done. Feck the begrudgers!

Amen brother, keep 'er lit! :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

macdanger2

Quote from: FermGael on June 03, 2018, 06:14:25 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on June 03, 2018, 05:56:26 PM
To some degree I understand why teams play blanket defence and is up to better footballers to find ways to beat it. It is so prevalent now that rule changes may well be needed to promote a more expensive game. In the case of Fermanagh it is not the blanket defence I hate as much as the niggle, verbals, diving, gamesmanship and activities of their runners, water boys etc. that grinds me. All teams have their narky players it just seems Fermanagh have found more than their fair share at minute. Still their supporters won't worry if they win Ulster.

Seems to me that those same things happened when we were getting beat but for some reason that didn't seem to annoy as much then.
Amazing what happens when you win a game or two.
Fermanagh always had too many nice footballers.
Good to see lads doing what ever other winning team does. Whatever it takes

Fair play Fermgael, delighted for yourself and the other Fermanagh lads on here, f*ck the begrudgers

redzone

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 03, 2018, 08:51:52 PM
What's the story with seamus Quigley? I'm assuming he wasn't injured as bbc said
Drank for several days after Armagh game with ricey taking him out of the pub a few times only for the big man to keep coming back.

seafoid

Quote from: FermGael on June 03, 2018, 08:29:44 PM
Absolutely fantastic performance from Fermanagh.
The full back line were immense.  McManus didn't score from play, McCarron was subbed as was K Hughes. McCarthy was very easily contained when he came on as well.
Our half back line played very well.  James McMahon looked very comfortable in the sweeper role and made good use of the ball. 
Midfield was immense.  Won the majority of ball around the middle and we also won alot of breaking ball.
Upfront Sean did well as did Aidan Breen.  Corrigan did well from frees when he came on.
Seamie have only himself to blame for not starting. Would have been a very easy decision to throw Seamie on with 10 minutes to go but it was good to see Rory and co taking a strong stand.
Colm Walsh made a noticeable difference when he came on for Monaghan.  Glad he didn't start.
Fermanagh also left Monaghan with no choice but to go short with their kickouts. They stopped Began kicking it long and this snuffed out the direct goal threat.
We are horrible to play against but extremely well organised.
After today I have no fear of Donegal or Down.
We can beat either because we will make it a dogfight.
Both Donegal and Down were relegated in the League this year. Neither would be classed as great teams. Both are in transition.
It really is a super chance for Fermanagh
Today they did a great job neutralising the 2 factors that did for Tyrone- Beggan's influence and McManus scoring from play.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

trileacman

Just so there's no untoward rumours flying around about an amateur player, Quigley went on the rip during a couple of them good days last week. Harmless enough really, was the done thing for ~60 years of the associations history. It's a real f**king shame though because if he and Sean lost a few pounds and the 2 corrigans stayed injury free they'd have a serious squad of players and a wonderful balanced team with quality across the pitch. Well organised and fit, they'd be a challenge to any team bar Dublin and Kerry.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Blowitupref

I didn't see that result coming today, TBH i thought Monaghan would go on to win Ulster after their very impressive win against Tyrone. Well done to Fermanagh though a system of play that isn't pretty to watch but the two great wins against the odds proves its a pretty effective system and a system that gives them a real fighting chance to win their first ever provincial title which would be the story of the summer if they can pull it off.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid
Both Donegal and Down were relegated in the League this year. Neither would be classed as great teams. Both are in transition.
It really is a super chance for Fermanagh
Today they did a great job neutralising the 2 factors that did for Tyrone- Beggan's influence and McManus scoring from play.

Quit the shite-talk -   Beggan failed wih dead balls, Mc Manus missed more than he did against ourselves. All credit to Fermanagh, but stop smoking that shit.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2018, 09:23:04 PM
Just so there's no untoward rumours flying around about an amateur player, Quigley went on the rip during a couple of them good days last week. Harmless enough really, was the done thing for ~60 years of the associations history. It's a real f**king shame though because if he and Sean lost a few pounds and the 2 corrigans stayed injury free they'd have a serious squad of players and a wonderful balanced team with quality across the pitch. Well organised and fit, they'd be a challenge to any team bar Dublin and Kerry.

It is surely. Unfortunately this is how it is these days and he should have known better.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 03, 2018, 08:00:03 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2018, 07:52:35 PM
Ulster fuball isn't designed for forwards.it''s hard to name many top class forwards in the province.

Yeah, and Connacht's fecking blessed!
That''s Mayo
Ros and Galway do more counterattacking. Ulster is more trench warfare .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

redzone

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 03, 2018, 09:30:59 PM
Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2018, 09:23:04 PM

It is surely. Unfortunately this is how it is these days and he should have known better.
Ud have thought he'd go somewhere were he wouldn't be seen, naw he's heads to dromore were one of the managers are from. How dumb can he be