The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

I found it a bit cringe worthy watching it but more because of how nervous and uncomfortable she appeared. To be expected I suppose. No doubt she will improve.

Gmac

More highlights and less analysis most of the analysis is pure muck no matter who it is .

joemamas

Quote from: Gmac on June 11, 2019, 05:23:19 PM
More highlights and less analysis most of the analysis is pure muck no matter who it is .

+1,

I thought the show started off well, straight into the action, i was like, "well finally somebody at RTE is paying attention" , but then Tomas O Se "Bullshitter supreme", goes on about some barman in Caple street texting him, sweet Jesus, ,unfortunatley Ciaran Whelan who is generally excellent ended up ucking it up with him re appearences etc, Then Des starts piping in about his brother Mark,  Tomas O Se is becoming the Healy Rae of the Sunday game. 

If they had dispensed with this, they could have shown more than 10 seconds of Saturdays qualifiers. Then this followed by a discussion on Football in hurling counties, namely Wexford and Tipperary, and the bold Tomas informs up that Wexford are a proud footballing county, and won back to back to back All-Irelands,
yes Tomas they did in 1915, 1916, 1917, and 1918, all very relevant today mind you.

I did not watch the hurling highlights.

Rossfan

The coverage of the Saturday Qualifiers was appallingly brief.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 11, 2019, 06:26:05 PM
The coverage of the Saturday Qualifiers was appallingly brief.

They were given attention after the hurling on Sunday. Not much attention, but more than that night.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Quote from: joemamas on June 11, 2019, 06:17:41 PM
Quote from: Gmac on June 11, 2019, 05:23:19 PM

+1,

I thought the show started off well, straight into the action, i was like, "well finally somebody at RTE is paying attention" , but then Tomas O Se "Bullshitter supreme", goes on about some barman in Caple street texting him, sweet Jesus, ,unfortunatley Ciaran Whelan who is generally excellent ended up ucking it up with him re appearences etc, Then Des starts piping in about his brother Mark,  Tomas O Se is becoming the Healy Rae of the Sunday game. 

If they had dispensed with this, they could have shown more than 10 seconds of Saturdays qualifiers. Then this followed by a discussion on Football in hurling counties, namely Wexford and Tipperary, and the bold Tomas informs up that Wexford are a proud footballing county, and won back to back to back All-Irelands,
yes Tomas they did in 1915, 1916, 1917, and 1918, all very relevant today mind you.

I did not watch the hurling highlights.

Yeah Whelan and Tomas were acting the eejit with that shite, but at least they're not like Beavis & Butthead on Match of the Day. Christ they are two wankers.

omaghjoe

When they were blabbering on about Cluxton I thought they actually forgot about the Meath match but they went back to it later

priceyreilly

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 11, 2019, 06:34:50 PM
When they were blabbering on about Cluxton I thought they actually forgot about the Meath match but they went back to it later

They did, they forgot all about it. Des had to be reminded. They were too busy sucking Dublin's balls like the week before as well. Speaking of balls, why do none of the panellists have the balls to call out the Dublin doping offences?

mrdeeds

I liked Tomas O Se going on about how there were no sweepers in Cavan game and a minute later Whelan praising Moynagh for playing that role in front of full back line.

From the Bunker

Quote from: priceyreilly on June 11, 2019, 07:16:59 PM

They did, they forgot all about it. Des had to be reminded. They were too busy sucking Dublin's balls like the week before as well. Speaking of balls, why do none of the panellists have the balls to call out the Dublin doping offences?

The Panelists are in a crusty number. It's a well paying and high profile junket. It provides them with the profile to have National paper columns as well. 

I presume that The Sunday Game has sponsors of the program and these sponsors are to be kept happy by not rocking the boat?

Tomas O'Se would see it as below him to use the money excuse. Whelan would never betray his own. Brolly is a strange one. He's usually not one to ignore the obvious, but the blinkers are firmly on here. Maybe they all genuinely don't know the figures and have never heard of Ewan McKenna.

One thing is for sure there is a media blackout on the topic.

marty34

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 11, 2019, 10:04:20 PM

The Panelists are in a crusty number. It's a well paying and high profile junket. It provides them with the profile to have National paper columns as well. 

I presume that The Sunday Game has sponsors of the program and these sponsors are to be kept happy by not rocking the boat?

Tomas O'Se would see it as below him to use the money excuse. Whelan would never betray his own. Brolly is a strange one. He's usually not one to ignore the obvious, but the blinkers are firmly on here. Maybe they all genuinely don't know the figures and have never heard of Ewan McKenna.

How much wouls a panellist on the Sundsy Game be on?

Is it per programme or per season? Are the 'lesser' ones given provincial games while the top gig would be the All Ireland series?

manfromdelmonte

when did this happen?

omaghjoe

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 11, 2019, 10:14:23 PM

when did this happen?

They showed the Meath and Dublin matches highlights back to back... then they went to reviewing the games...Des said "we'll come to Meath in a minute"  but then proceeded to only review the Dubs match and they started rambling on about Cluxtons 100th match and comparing his total to O'Se they had a wee highlight reel of Cluxtons matches, Whelean was telling a story about driving him to training, all pointless stuff. But then they went to the break...... and no mention of Meath until after they came back and had showed another wean of match highlights.

Pretty sure Des forgot

magpie seanie

Pretty embarrasing comments about Valerie Mulcahy and women in general on this thread. I suppose we should be looking to change the name of our county ground in Sligo - that's probably pointless tokenism as well ya? Some of ye should be ashamed of yourselves.

From the Bunker

Quote from: marty34 on June 11, 2019, 10:08:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 11, 2019, 10:04:20 PM

How much wouls a panellist on the Sundsy Game be on?

Is it per programme or per season? Are the 'lesser' ones given provincial games while the top gig would be the All Ireland series?

From what i heard the pundits are all paid per appearances. They all have full time other jobs, so none of them are on permanent contracts. I've seen amounts as low as 1000-1500 euros per show, being mentioned. Getting that kind of money for a days work, may seem like a lot to the likes of you and me. But when you factor in tax and whatnot, its not really a tremendous amount of money, considering that TSG rakes in truckloads of money in advertising revenue. I'd imagine that their big "name" pundits like Tomas O'Se and Henry Sheflin are on a bit more, but I've never seen any official numbers released.