Maigh Eo v Ros Comáin 25-5-19

Started by Farrandeelin, May 12, 2019, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I'm expecting a Mayo win but then I would, wouldn't I?
However, I've a touch of Larryitis as I wouldn't put down €9,000 to win €2,000 on this particular outcome.
Roscommon are a limited side but Mayo are an unpredictable one so you take your pick here.
Mayo finished the league on a high note but thy started the same competition on a pretty low one.
I think the Rossies are an improving side; their key players are still relatively young but there is talent there, waiting to develop. (I'm no expert on my neighbours' affairs but that's what Liam McHale once told me and he should know better than I do.)
When I say this side is limited,I wouldn't dream of insulting them bustards, I never do, but I'm talking about maturity here, not talent.
Mayo have both in abundance but are about as predictable as a baby's bum so the outcome isn't a forgone conclusion.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 20, 2019, 08:50:07 AM
I’m expecting a Mayo win but then I would, wouldn’t I?
However, I’ve a touch of Larryitis as I wouldn’t put down €9,000 to win €2,000 on this particular outcome.
Roscommon are a limited side but Mayo are an unpredictable one so you take your pick here.
Mayo finished the league on a high note but thy started the same competition on a pretty low one.
I think the Rossies are an improving side; their key players are still relatively young but there is talent there, waiting to develop. (I’m no expert on my neighbours’ affairs but that’s what Liam McHale once told me and he should know better than I do.)
When I say this side is limited,I wouldn’t dream of insulting them bustards, I never do, but I’m talking about maturity here, not talent.
Mayo have both in abundance but are about as predictable as a baby’s bum so the outcome isn’t a forgone conclusion.

Mayo started the league with 3 wins in a row for the first time in years which included a win over Roscommon and a nine point margin v Tyrone in Omagh.  Who in your view (or told by McHale) are theses key players for Roscommon?

From the Bunker

Quote from: joemamas on May 19, 2019, 11:59:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 19, 2019, 10:40:39 PM

Ok Parsons is out for the year! Seamie, Barrett, Zippy, Boyler and Andy are well into their 30's now. Keegan, Vaughan, Cillian have had some serious operations the last year or so and the limbs have to be getting battle weary from all the wear and tear.  We lost heavily to Dublin in the League. They still have our number and put the heel to the throat once again.

You sure about that,
Why make a comment like that when the guy is busting his hole to get fit.

The AI Ireland final is on the 1st of September! Roughly 15 weeks to the last game of the Championship. Whether Mayo are there is another thing. Parsons has not kicked a ball yet. He'll need more than a few weeks to play for his club again never mind county!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 20, 2019, 02:45:30 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 20, 2019, 08:50:07 AM
I'm expecting a Mayo win but then I would, wouldn't I?
However, I've a touch of Larryitis as I wouldn't put down €9,000 to win €2,000 on this particular outcome.
I think the Rossies are an improving side; their key players are still relatively young but there is talent there, waiting to develop. (I'm no expert on my neighbours' affairs but that's what Liam McHale once told me and he should know better than I do.)
When I say this side is limited,I wouldn't dream of insulting them bustards, I never do, but I'm talking about maturity here, not talent.
Mayo have both in abundance but are about as predictable as a baby's bum so the outcome isn't a forgone conclusion.

Mayo started the league with 3 wins in a row for the first time in years which included a win over Roscommon and a nine point margin v Tyrone in Omagh.  Who in your view (or told by McHale) are theses key players for Roscommon?
I guess I didn't explain myself very well here.
They actually started off quite well with three straight wins but there was nothing there to suggest that they would finish in near the top never mind win it.
They could easily have lost to Roscommon who were just up from the second division and Tyrone were playing as poorly as I have ever seen them play. Kerry had walloped them the preceding week.
I was happy enough so far; Horan was obviously team building and I think most Mayo supporters would regard remaining in Division One to be as much as could be expected.
Then I felt we were brought back to reality when Dublin, in second gear, showed how far Mayo had yet to go to get back to where they were last time Horan was in charge.They should have beaten Galway in the next game but the old, old failing showed up again. They slackened off in the last twenty minutes and allowed Galway back into the game again when they seemed to be in serious trouble.
Then something unexpected happened and they hammered Kerry down in Tralee. I don't think many, if any saw that coming. Kerry were odds on to win and win well. Mayo had then well beaten in the final and showed they result in Tralee was no fluke but still could have lost the game at the end. Again, they lost the plot when the had the upper hand.
If it hadn't been for Hennelly's magnificent save, we might not even favourites for next Saturday never mind serious contenders for the AI.
So, I am not knocking the team, just feeling that the game next Saturday isn't there for the taking. If Roscommon are a team where the best is yet to come, Mayo can't afford to take anything for granted.

When I spoke to Liam Mac, we didn't spend much time discussing Roscommon. He felt the team had plenty of potential but the average age was very young and it would take another year or two to get the best out of them. He singled out Ultan Harney as one to watch. Harney wasn't  twenty three yet but he would develop into a top class player if he could stay clear of injury.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Cunny Funt

I don't think I'd regard 1-10 to 0-11 victory as a hammering v Kerry and the games crucial score (the goal) came in the 67th minute. With Mayo's record down in Kerry in recent years that result wasn't that much of a shock and with no Dublin in the final the opportunity was there for Mayo to finally grab a national title.

Mayo under Horan are fairly predictable in his own words consistently competitive, a hard working physically strong and well conditioned outfit whereby one of the main strengths of any Horan team is a good defence and I'll be surprised if Mayo conceded more that 12 to 15 points on Saturday night

For Roscommon to stand a chance in this game they will have to try and copy what Galway have done the last 3 years v Mayo, e.g well organised and make themselves difficult to score against. Plenty are saying Roscommon are improved defensively this year but I'm not too sure about, showed signs in January and February alright however since then its back to conceding big scores again v Cavan,Dublin,Kerry,Galway and all the recent challenge games.

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Still feckin up stolensheep >:(
He must have been banned from here thankfully.

Yes Cunny- our last 4 NFL games certainly makes us fearful the defensive disasters haven't been or aren't capable of being overcome.
Hopefully the NFL campaigns of both teams will have no bearing on this game.
If they are an indication then we'll be bet out the feckin gate and back in again. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

It's so long since we last won in McHale Park (1986), it's hard to be confident. Add to that the reality that new manager Cunningham has hardly been in the job a wet week. And then you lose one of our best forwards Ciaran Murtagh to travel, and our best back Niall McInerney to this studies. Then there's the awful memory of the last time we played Mayo in championship and we got an awful hammering. Also not forgetting we got demoted and continued to concede some big scores in NFL, in fact the second highest I think of all divisions. So it's hard to be confident. And yet, and yet... one of these days Ultan and Diarmuid and the Smiths, and some of the new lads will be on song against Mayo and all will be right with the world again. It's the hope that keeps you going.

whitey

As long as there's no eye gouging or feigning injury I'll be happy

oliverkelly

Hopefully we dont see a dog run on pitch like in Cavan Monaghan game or else the poor auld thing could be mounted and sexually abused by Lee keegan given his past history with them ;)

Crete Boom

Quote from: oliverkelly on May 22, 2019, 09:27:42 AM
Hopefully we dont see a dog run on pitch like in Cavan Monaghan game or else the poor auld thing could be mounted and sexually abused by Lee keegan given his past history with them ;)

Amazing you have such compassion for four legged creatures like dogs and sheep in Rosscommon but when a few people with different coloured skin seek some shelter in an empty hotel you burn the place down! Peter Casey is sure to top the polls in Sheep Stealer land anyway being a true white gael I suppose!!

Tubberman

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 22, 2019, 10:41:28 AM

Amazing you have such compassion for four legged creatures like dogs and sheep in Rosscommon but when a few people with different coloured skin seek some shelter in an empty hotel you burn the place down! Peter Casey is sure to top the polls in Sheep Stealer land anyway being a true white gael I suppose!!

Jesus Christ lads, will ye calm down.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

That hotel is in Laythrum.
Check out how we treated the Syrians in Ballaghadereen, Co Roscommon.
Also that goal that bet the Galway minors last Friday.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Also how the Roscommon season ticket holders have to pay €25 extra for this game than us Mayo ST holders. ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 22, 2019, 10:41:28 AM

could somebody get a ban for this