Jinxy

Why rip it up at the height of summer?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Jinxy on June 13, 2018, 01:38:28 PM

Being Cavan, it is probably cheaper.

joemamas

I have another Q, why did the football schedulers not have qualifiers this weekend and have a break next weekend as if a team qualifies from the qualifiers to super 8, will end up playing weekend of June 23, July 30, July 7, July 14.

Four games in a row is difficult, six out of seven weekends is crazy.

I am certain the media will have a field day with it as super 8 progress.
You would be inclined to feel the provincial winners will be in a very strong position to make semi-finals.

westbound

Quote from: joemamas on June 13, 2018, 02:17:55 PM
I have another Q, why did the football schedulers not have qualifiers this weekend and have a break next weekend as if a team qualifies from the qualifiers to super 8, will end up playing weekend of June 23, July 30, July 7, July 14.

You would be inclined to feel the provincial winners will be in a very strong position to make semi-finals.

To avoid 6 day turnaround for Down, Laois and Carlow.

tippabu

Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2018, 02:59:26 PM

Munster ccc could learn a thing or two.....

Itchy

Itchy

Might have something to do with when the grass grows, i.e. not in winter?

Syferus

Maybe Cavan just didn't expect to get this far in the championship.

joemamas

Didn't  all the potential opponents for Down Laois and Carlow, also have a six day turnaround as they all played last weekend ?

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on June 13, 2018, 04:42:27 PM

Didn't  all the potential opponents for Down Laois and Carlow, also have a six day turnaround as they all played last weekend ?

Uhhhh.. bit of a difference between coming off a win in six days and coming off a loss. Kind of mad that you'd try to defend the six day turnaround honestly.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Itchy on June 13, 2018, 03:45:46 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 13, 2018, 01:57:17 PM

Being Cavan, it is probably cheaper.

Best joke ever.

Thanks. ;)

Quote from: Itchy on June 13, 2018, 03:46:42 PM

Might have something to do with when the grass grows, i.e. not in winter?

Actually the best times for re-seeding for grass is in spring or autumn.  On both occasions there is little in the way of weed seed to affect the quality of the new sward.  Spring is ruled out because of our poor weather, so re-seed in autumn for best results and have a healthy sward going into winter.

BTW it is cheaper in summer for some if they don't need to use as much fertiliser.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Itchy

Quote from: Jinxy on June 13, 2018, 06:05:17 PM
Now.
Back in your bosca, Itchy.

Ye are the experts with all that grass on your banks. By time it's seeded it will be coming into autumn I'm sure. League was on in spring hence not option then.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Itchy on June 13, 2018, 06:32:54 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 13, 2018, 06:05:17 PM
Now.
Back in your bosca, Itchy.

Ye are the experts with all that grass on your banks. By time it's seeded it will be coming into autumn I'm sure. League was on in spring hence not option then.

Actually the best method of re-seeding is to direct drill the grass seed into the existing turf is to have a quick spray of paraquat to kill off the grass on the surface but to leave the roots to continue to bind the top soil until the new sward takes over. This keeps a harder surface which would otherwise become soft through traditional ploughing and cultivation to produce a fine till into which the seed is sown. Direct seeding a bit more expensive.

So, Breffini will probably be re-seeded by traditional methods using some boy with a wee red Massey and a two score plough.

Stall the Bailer

I'm guessing with club championships in the autumn time the summer is the least disruptive to games for this work.

Not sure what they are doing, but if there is any drainage or leveling work, direct seeding wouldn't be suitable.