Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

He can't really win with you can he ;D

bannside

I'd say that's fair comment RM, nothing in that that anyone should take exception to. Lenny came in looking at a five year plan and part of that was to go with the guys who put their hands up. Nothing wrong with that. However.....in Lennys defence, I know for a fact that behind the scenes strong overtures were put out to four or five experienced players, all who found a reason to decline. That's not something everyone is aware of.

Now in year three there is a serious push for promotion. The five year plan is on standby until the first target has been reached, the bottom line target of promotion to div 3. That's the only show in town right now, and Lenny is rightly throwing the kitchen sink at achieving this. The Tomas Paddy and Micks will see a good set up, much improved since the days when a manager was given a bag of balls and told to get on with it. (Ok ok I know that's a bit harsh). Problem is....all other counties have moved on too, and this hasn't made our prospects any easier just because we are getting our act together.

I can vouch for the fact that Lenny has put in serious work, good quality work too, all modern sports science, analysis, systems, etc. But the fact remains that we need all our best players out for any management team to succeed.

Paddy Mick and Tomas are welcomed back by all and sundry. They are proven and still capable of offering something meaningful, and at the end of the day if that helps get us out of the basement division then it will be seen as a good call all round. They mightnt all get ( or shouldn't expect) 70 minutes game time, but if these three collectively light the spark that gets us over the line then fair play to all concerned.

I know its early days, very early but IF we can get out this year, hopefully we can get the two Paddy Mcs back ( Mc Aleer and Mc Cormack) the two Fitzys (Pearse and Matt) and the two Murrays (Conor for another term and proven brother Ryan) then I've no doubt whatsoever we can be most competitive in Div 3.

It's all about Carlow and Limerick though. In two and a half weeks we will know if we are still on course, and as I say I think we will be.

Rodger Mona

To be honest men i agree with what alot of whats said on here, i just offer a perspective from the other side of the coin, stuff that i dont feel is right. Like all managers no one should be outside of scrutiny. Thats part and parcel what they have signed up for. and to be honest what harm are we doing stating perspectives on this forum. Its not as if we are lambasting him at matches and trying to create unrest. Lennys 5 year plan hasnt went to plan for a number of reasons. i never once criticised his set up or his methods, i would say its more so to do with him placing all his chips on men within the panel who were just happy to be there or havnt had the quality he needed. As iv said in previous comments he needed pedigree and experience and he now he has went and got it. Which to be honest has contradicted what he had set out to do originally. The lads he was backing on to come through either havnt or have had other commitments. But if he turns the corner, gets promotion and actually BRINGS THROUGH 5 or 6 lads who he developed then il be the first to congratulate him.

BS are you referring to P.Fitzsimmons, as in midfield for Lamh Dearg? i dont recall him playing county or have i missed something. Have u seen much of him?

imtommygunn

Carlow and Limerick was on TG4 (well highlights). Limerick were probably lucky enough but Carlow sometimes don't help themselves with discipline. The two Murphys are particularly indisciplined. One punched someone on the face as he was running with the ball then kicked off a stink when he got sent off. Limerick had a full forward on view who looks like he will take some watching.

bannside

Definitely ITG Daniel someone ran riot against Cork in the Mc Grath cup final a month ago. Re Pearse Fitz, son of Frank, midfield for LD, has turned into a really good player in my book and picked up a nasty knee injury against us in the replayed match at the Dub. I'd be surprised if he wasn't on Lennys radar before the accident. As I say it's just in my book (and that's not the one that really matters lol) but I believe he would definitely be a positive addition. Obviously I'm taking the optimistic view that Matt Fitz can be enticed back again at some stage and that's not a given.

Rodger Mona

yea i know him ws just wondering if he had been called up before as i hadnt heard. But yeah big lad, wonder if lennys thinking he needs a big lad like that round the middle as i think we will get penned in against a team that pushes up on our kick out. Then again thats maybe why Michaels back. Though i cant recall him in midfield as last couple of years. Be interesting to see what shape this team will take when every ones fit and who will lose out in a starting place.

Belfast GAA man

Have Cargin not got any top players in their mid 20's ? I know they won minor but for county senior it only seems to be the 30+s that get a mention.....

Ernesto

With reference to M Fitz, we'd need a Keystone in Antrim ;)

Rodger Mona

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on February 13, 2020, 03:30:37 PM
Have Cargin not got any top players in their mid 20's ? I know they won minor but for county senior it only seems to be the 30+s that get a mention.....

None than i could say thats better than whats up already

Sportacus

Anything I've heard Lenny say, his strategy is pretty simple.  Get promoted, player at a higher level which will improve the players decision making, and that will make us more competitive in the Championship.
Bringing Michael and Paddy C boosts our promotion chances.  They helped us get to Div 2 not too long ago.  Makes sense and they young lads can learn from them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on February 13, 2020, 09:29:36 AM
Jesus MR2 scrutinising management isnt something that you should be taking so personal. It wasnt a personal attack, i think what iv outlined is something which the antrim board will obviously be thinking when they review the teams performance. I dare not say anything regarding refs or management if i think there is patches in their performance which could be scrutinised. Obviously i think he is doing right, bringin back paddy and the two cargin lads (as u seen i had mentioned it in previous posts), they will definitely bring us closer to a shot at promotion, but why sell the pitch that the job he took on was focused on bringing through youth and building antrim for the future regardless of results? I dont think Paddy, Mick or Tomas are there just for the ride or to sit on the bench. So obviously going back to the old guard will be at the expense of some of the other lads who are new to the panel or are young still.

My analyses is just that, like in this forum, its alright being optimistic but at some point you realise that youth requires experienced players/ leaders on the field to bring them on. Lennys first couple of years seriously lacked that. Now he has went back on his original stance and brought in men who he may of asked but hadnt really chased (as he has done this time from November) all for the greater good of the county promotion chase. Though to some of the younger lads on the panels expense.

It's not personal tbf, BS is probably over the top positive and you can be sometimes over the top negative, it's a forum and debating is good, can be very constructive can be a bitta banter and for some having digs while sitting behind a screen is easy.

I've been very critical in the past about plenty things county and county committee level wise, my roles were different being a club senior manager, so from a selfish point I've said things (I've said it face to face also) that on reflection I should have bit my tongue.

Lenny is a clubman so maybe I'm slightly defensive there but we've underperformed as a full team, players managers for a long time. Until we develop consistently from juveniles through our schools and at club level we'll be yo-yo'ing.

Took a walk down to the college tonight, good squad down training away, hopefully win our next two games, no reasons left now that we can't
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

RM one thing on your opinions though... You seemed to be saying that Cunningham and the McCann brothers weren't invited back and that was LH's strategy. Everyone else says that they weren't available / wouldn't play. 

Where did you get that from? If you are wrong there then you are forming an opinion on him going for youth then back tracking when he actually had no choice but now does... Whatever has caused the turnaround in players like this committing I don't know but long may it continue.

bannside

On all known club form despite turning 35 in a few months Mick is still up there as one of the best in the county and on that basis it's good to have him. Hopefully he can still work his magic at inter county level, I don't think he got proper closure during his last sojourn and 2020 or 2021 might provide that. Michael has now got a great chance to use his influence to make a positive contribution in whatever way he can. It's not about him....its never about any individual....it's about what he can do to help us achieve our target this year in whatever capacity he is needed.

paddyjohn

Lenny knows best lads and Mick McCann wouldn't of put himself in this position if he thought that he couldn't bring something positive to the set up. Let's enjoy the rest of the season and it's ups and downs.

Saffs Abu.

BrendanAntrim