Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 19, 2020, 09:57:53 PM
Quote from: Calm Down on October 19, 2020, 09:38:08 PM
I would like to see the likes of an upcoming manager like Conleth Gilligan in with say the like of Paddy Bradley, young fresh management team

Would be sore on the wallet that one

Absolutely
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Calm Down

Peter John, read the posts above about an outside voice getting the best men out in all codes

Not an attack on Antrim men, however thinking outside of the box

Oh and I did not say get shot of Lenny, read my posts and tell me where I did

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Calm Down on October 19, 2020, 10:31:07 PM
Peter John, read the posts above about an outside voice getting the best men out in all codes

Not an attack on Antrim men, however thinking outside of the box

Oh and I did not say get shot of Lenny, read my posts and tell me where I did

Why don't those 2 men put their efforts into taking their clubs back to their glory days  ( or day in PBs case) ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

paddyjohn

We need an Antrim man in the job. Don't care who he is aslong as he doesn't want paid.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Paddy worked with our lads for a few seasons and was a great coach. Good breathe of fresh air into the panel and the lads loved him.

His approach, the drills, how he handled everything plus he was really good to get along with and the players all respected him. Still keeps in regular contact with how our footballers are doing so despite not being there for a few years he's got a vested interest in the players and how they do.
hurl like f**k boi!

Dunsilly King

If we want to go with outsiders at least get someone who has managed teams at a high l;evel with success. We cannot afford to be taking risks. Gilligan has managed nobody of note. Bradley has managed a few senior club teams and has won nothing or even got to finals. DR no disrespect but someone fresh off county football like Bradley and going in to take sessions in Dunloy who aren't leaders in innovation at football would certainly be fresh to your players. It would be the same if it was reversed and your recent retired county men going to take hurling sessions in Glenullin.

We need a person with proven managerial experience. Gilligan as coach or Ronan Devlin who by all accounts from Cargin and our young players in Creggan who went through the Convent in Magherafelt at Mac Rory is highly respected. Probably need both coaches if we wanted a genuinely progressive management. Kevin Madden is our best placed inside man who has club and intercounty management experience.

Calm Down

DK can you honestly tell us that Madden is the best man for the job after watching the county final of a couple of years ago, Creggan didn't loose that game on the pitch they lost it on the line, no tactical noose at all to change a game

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Calm Down on October 20, 2020, 11:04:28 AM
DK can you honestly tell us that Madden is the best man for the job after watching the county final of a couple of years ago, Creggan didn't loose that game on the pitch they lost it on the line, no tactical noose at all to change a game

Don't agree, our players were afraid to go for it, Cargin likewise. We had enough chances to overturn a one pt defeat. I can still see 3 frees that were sitters missed. Tomas Mc Cann wouldn't have missed them if Cargin had them. Inexperience cost us.

Calm Down

There must have been clear instruction from the line to 'keep the ball', I have never seen a team a point down with a few minutes to go kicking a free from 40 yards another 20 yards backwards...................

paddyjohn

The man we need is John McKeever. Professional as they come and had plenty of contacts and help at hand if ever required. Well thought of around Tyrone.

bannside

Lads its a bit disrespectful talking about potential managers when we have a manager in place. Should we get the two results we require on Saturday, then the main objective of the season will have been attained. If not, we have an Ulster championship match within a couple of weeks. Can't we at least show some restraint until this has passed and see how the rest of the season pans out. Plenty of time for post mortems and ideas then, but atm it is disruptive in a week where the management and players need to reboot asap for a big game in a few days.

Calm Down

I think whilst Cassidy has a 'way' with him when he is managing Cargin I feel that he would be too divisive a character now to unite the County, his attitude to other teams, managers and officials within the county I feel would rule him out

EOC1923

"his attitude towards other teams managers and officials within the county" - what on earth are you talking about. What manager doesnt question officials? The part about the other teams managers please explain?

Dunsilly King

CD, what are u watching. Been to many games involving Creggan V Cargin and most semifinal and finals the past few years. Can't say Cassidy is any different to any other manager. Really puzzling comment. Haven't heard a Creggan player say a word about him. He has a go at refs, but who unfortunately doesn't.  But would agree he is the stand out name by a distance. The family connection tells me he is in Cargin next season.

Calm Down

I have also been to many games involving Cargin and many other teams, we have obviously been talking to different people as well as so many players and managers a like have told me he is nothing more than hateful, as for him and referees I would say the CCCC are kept busy with him, but DK as you point out Refs are fair game by the look of it and yes I know I have been guilty in the past of giving refs a hard time