2019 Bord na Móna Walsh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, November 09, 2018, 08:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

I'd be inclined to general pessimism meself, but there's a terrible lot of negativity about.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on January 07, 2019, 10:06:14 AM
Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 06, 2019, 09:52:52 PM
we need critchley and cheddar to start back with underage and build a base of good young minors, that may be the long term solution.
Poor auld Cheddar. When things were going well, we couldn't wait to get rid of him and look to move on. Now he has to come back, when we're almost at a lower ebb than we were at the last time.

Stay away Cheddar, no man could save the ball of shite that hurling is in Laois sadly.

Best use all hurleys then for kindling,Good man yourself Don

Don Draper

Quote from: burdizzo on January 07, 2019, 10:52:35 AM
I'd be inclined to general pessimism meself, but there's a terrible lot of negativity about.
Its as bad as I can recall. We can't keep asking Cheddar and Zoom to come put out the fires, we should look at the deadwood and timber merchants that are causing the fires.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on January 07, 2019, 10:55:15 AM
we need critchley and cheddar to start back with underage and build a base of good young minors, that may be the long term solution.
Poor auld Cheddar. When things were going well, we couldn't wait to get rid of him and look to move on. Now he has to come back, when we're almost at a lower ebb than we were at the last time.

Stay away Cheddar, no man could save the ball of shite that hurling is in Laois sadly.

Keep selling them to Limerick men, they seem to know what to do with them at least. And its not firing them through faceguards.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on January 07, 2019, 10:56:03 AM

Keep selling them to Limerick men, they seem to know what to do with them at least. And its not firing them through faceguards.

They might show us how to set up and run a proper underage academy too

Awaiting On Cue

your comment about JP and his millions

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on January 07, 2019, 11:15:52 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on January 07, 2019, 10:56:03 AM

They might show us how to set up and run a proper underage academy too

Awaiting On Cue

your comment about JP and his millions
Shur if we had the likes of Joe McKenna up here, we'd blackguard him the way we did Cheddar.

LOVEGAA

Quote from: burdizzo on January 07, 2019, 10:52:35 AM

Hard to be positive to be fair. Leigh Bergin gone. Dwayne Palmer gone. Ross King gone.
It's not a great sign to be losing this many lads .
Can understand King going but whats the story with the other 2 ?

I thought yesterday that some of the younger lads stood up well but 1 or 2 of the "bigger names" were so disappointing . Their work rate was shocking.

Don Draper

Bergin baffles me, and concerns me greatly. A stellar servant, vice captain, gave up his time on Christmas Day to visit Portlaoise Hospital.

Something stinks. We've lost a captain and vice captain now.

welcomehome

Nothing stinks..its just typical in laois..U get a ood manager and selectors..,and this happens..To be honest there should be no more running around after players.Let eddie deals with what he has,,,There are like spoilt childrens,let them on...

Don Draper

Quote from: welcomehome on January 07, 2019, 12:14:37 PM
Nothing stinks..its just typical in laois..U get a ood manager and selectors..,and this happens..To be honest there should be no more running around after players.Let eddie deals with what he has,,,There are like spoilt childrens,let them on...
Ah thats grand so. Nothing to see here. Bate on lads.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on January 07, 2019, 12:31:32 PM

Cody himself wouldn't manage Laois and that's the reality

Brennan is coming from a place where lads would shoot their granny to get even within touching distance of a black and amber jersey

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on January 07, 2019, 12:36:19 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on January 07, 2019, 12:31:32 PM

Cody himself wouldn't manage Laois and that's the reality

Brennan is coming from a place where lads would shoot their granny to get even within touching distance of a black and amber jersey
We have plenty of lads who'd maim someone for a black and amber jersey to be fair.

blueandwhite1

There is plenty of gloom but it isn't all bad.

Dublin yesterday are not very far from what they will be this year. They brought on some of their big names (Chris Crummy for example) and still didn't look that much better than us. We could have won that game. There were some real highlights for me:

- Ryan Mullaney at centre back played really well and Matthew I thought looked quite natural at full back.
- Jack Kelly won plenty of ball at wing back
- Both corner backs were tenacious and crowded their men out preventing plenty of scores or forcing bad decisions. The backs in general played in the faces of the Dublin lads which made us very competitive.
- Aaron Dunphy is a huge addition. He wins balls and is very efficient with it. Him and Mark Kavanagh were our go-to men.
- Mark Kavanagh was excellent and was dangerous throughout. Made the goal.
- Donnacha Hartnett has plenty of hurling and mopped up loads of ball.
- PJ Scully was a changed man when they brought him out the field. Won the ball and scored one super point.

I highlighted the above because almost none of the above was a feature last year. The crying shame was that this team would benefit massively from having players like Leigh and Ross around them in particular. I don't know what the story with Ciaran Collier is but his hand on the half forward line would make a massive difference too. I hate to go back to the desperation of the 'if only' but the following team have a McDonagh cup in them:

Rowland
J Phelan
Whelan
Cleere
Bergin
Mullaney
Kelly
Purcell
King
Picky
Cha
Collier
Kavanagh
Foyle
Dunphy

Subs: Fleming, Scully, Downey, Bergin, Hartnett, Taylor and all others from yesterday etc.

I still hold out hope (maybe naively) that Ross and Leigh at a minimum can come back in.

DUBLIN:  A Nolan; D Gray, E O'Donnell, J Madden; S Barrett, S Moran, T Connolly; R McBride, J Malone; F McGibb, J Hetherton, F McGibb; E Dillon, L Rushe, D Burke. Subs: L Gannon for Barrett (16 inj), F Whitely for Boland (30 inj), C Crummey for Connolly (h-t), O O'Rorke for Burke (43), D Keogh for O'Donnell (48), G Whelan for McBride (50), C Conway for Rushe (53), C Burke for Dillon (62)

LAOIS: E Rowland; P Delaney, M Whelan, J Phelan; J Kelly, R Mullaney, E Killeen; D Hartnett, P Purcell; A Dunphy, E Lyons, S Maher; M Kavanagh, PJ Scully, E Gaughan. Subs: S Downey for Gaughan (51), C Phelan for Kavanagh (58), J Cranney for Killeen (69), N Foyle for Lyons (70)

blueandwhite1

Maybe I should temper my earlier optimism.

I see Podge Lalor is also not involved. I thought he had come on well last year.

That's a lot of young lads that aren't involved that should be - Ross, Leigh, Dwayne, Podge and Collier. Eddies noises on Cha wouldn't fill you with confidence either.

HURLING1

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on January 07, 2019, 05:40:18 PM
Maybe I should temper my earlier optimism.

I see Podge Lalor is also not involved. I thought he had come on well last year.

That's a lot of young lads that aren't involved that should be - Ross, Leigh, Dwayne, Podge and Collier. Eddies noises on Cha wouldn't fill you with confidence either.
And Joe Campion by far the best of the BK contingent.