NFL Division 1 2011

Started by Maguire01, January 30, 2011, 11:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

A week to go, so it's about time to get this up and running!

Odds to win (from PPower):
Kerry  9/4 
Cork  5/2 
Dublin  4/1 
Mayo  7/1 
Galway  10/1 
Down  11/1 
Armagh  14/1 
Monaghan  25/1 

Boylesports is similar to Paddy Power. Interestingly Ladbrokes bucks the trend:
Cork  11/4   
Kerry  7/2   
Dublin  9/2   
Down  15/2
Monaghan  10/1   
Mayo  15/2
Armagh  10/1   
Galway  10/1 

Odds to drop (from PPower):
Monaghan 4/7 
Armagh  11/10 
Down  13/8 
Galway  15/8 
Mayo  5/2 
Dublin  5/1 
Kerry  8/1 
Cork  10/1 

I'm not sure of the basis on which Mayo and Galway in particular are deemed relatively safe with Paddy Power. And i'd expect Down to have had shorter odds to win as well. I don't see much difference at this stage between Armagh, Monaghan, Mayo and Galway.

Once again, Monaghan are aiming for survival and like last year, are one of the favourites to drop. Although it's difficult to call at the minute, not knowing the panel. The McKenna Cup matches don't really give any indication of what is to come.

On paper, this year is an easier draw for Monaghan than 2010. We have 4 home games against Galway, Mayo, Dublin and Kerry and two of the away games (Down and Armagh) are local enough; Cork is the only roadtrip (last year we had 4 away games: Galway, Mayo, Dublin and Kerry - all losses). Three of the home games in Inniskeen should also make for a good atmosphere and make the most of the home advantage.

6 points is the aim (although as with last year, 4 can work) and I feel there are definitely 6 points there for Monaghan to take. Galway next weekend should be a target.

Farrandeelin

I would have thought Mayo would be favourites to go down.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

laoisgaa

Lump your money on Down or Armagh

Maguire01

Cosmo Kramer

Division 1 will be a journey of discovery for Mayo this year. Survival is less important than team building. FBD games have been encouraging in terms of new faces getting a run, but getting from a panel of more than 40 to a starting 15 in time for the Connacht Championship will be the challenge.

I presume Mayo are seen by the bookies as a safer bet to stay up as we are the team with the longest consecutive spell in the top flight and we have a habit of getting to the semi finals (when they existed) and final.

Four home games might be enough to keep us up, but i would like to see a bit of squad rotation in the first few matches even if that comes at the expense of points on the board. Hopefully a settled team will start to emerge towards the end of the campaign.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

GalwayBayBoy

I'd say we will be hard pressed to stay up. Don't think Meehan or PJ are going to play any part in the league. Definitely Meehan anyway. We have 4 games away from home and we're away to all the teams you'd expect to be battling to stay up like Monaghan, Armagh and possibly Down.

mannix

Mayo will not be dropping down.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: mannix on January 30, 2011, 05:28:02 PM
Mayo will not be dropping down.

With two teams dropping out of eight anyone could potentially go down, especially an unsettled side going through a significant rebuilding period who have played almost 40 players in three warm up matches. So far we have done OK but we've only beaten two below strength Division 4 teams and a bad college side. The next few weeks will tell us a lot more about which of the new lads can make the step up. Next week will be the first where we will have a full hand to choose from so should be very interesting.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Maguire01

When do squads have to be announced for the league?

whitegoodman

Id say there will be a real dog fight to stay up outside of Kerrry, Cork and Dublin.  It should be a very tight and interesting division relegation wise anyway.

I no everybody has injuries but downs have real injuries at the back with the possibility of only 2 of last years defence being available for next wk.  Given that downs defence isnt that well regarded anyway u can imagine the back up isnt that much to right home about so put a monkey on a mayo win next wk!!!!

Do the irish news not do a national league preview with all squads the wk before the league?

ck

Interesting odds. Dublin and Cork to top, Monaghan and Mayo to drop.

Shortso79

Division 1 NFL openers to be televised

29 January 2011

Armchair GAA fans are in for a treat next weekend when all four Division 1 National Football League first round games will be televised.

On Saturday the clash of Armagh and Dublin will be shown on Setanta Ireland, while Mayo's meeting with Down will be on Setanta Sports 1. Both games throw in at 7.30pm.

On Sunday, TG4 will broadcast the clash of All-Ireland champions Cork and Kerry (2.30pm), with Monaghan's fixture against Galway shown on a deferred basis.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=141341

donelli

Anyone able to tell me when the league final is fixed for??
cant find it on the offical pages

Maguire01

Quote from: donelli on January 31, 2011, 12:44:57 PM
Anyone able to tell me when the league final is fixed for??
cant find it on the offical pages
I really don't think we'll need to keep that date free.
:D

haranguerer

You're right - yis are fucked.

PP odds look about right - wouldnt think Down will be close either.