Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

I forgot to mention that one T O'Hare was back in the Bridge's starting 15 last night!  Scored a point too!
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

guevara

Burren beat the Point by goal at Moygannon but referee was an absolute disgrace.
Burren should had two men off McGovern (5) & McCartan (6) both struck out & lot of there other players seem to enter as third man in niggles.
Penalty decision decided it which is fair enough but we had a stonewall one at other end turned down minutes later.
We have some serious injuries/ boys unavailable at the minute (7 or 8 last night I think)
but boys just need to keep plugging away & it will come!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

5 Sams

Quote from: amallon on July 10, 2009, 11:57:31 AM
I forgot to mention that one T O'Hare was back in the Bridge's starting 15 last night!  Scored a point too!

Which one ;)
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

Islandboy - Gary Gordon was wearing 11.  Fair play to Loughinisland who despite having to make changes to their team their players still had the correct numbers on their back.  Unfortunatley our program only went as far as 24 so I don't know who 25 was.

5Sams - The famous one with big shoes to fill!  ;)

D4S

Disappointing result in Kilcoo last night after recent good form! The Stone raced into a 6-0 lead after 10 minutes, and then trailed 7-6 soon after, it was a draw at halftime. Stevie Doran sent off in the 1st half straight red but should be back in 4 weeks for championship.  Ryan Kelly + Conor Poland both went off injured for us in 2nd half, hope nothing serious for either as they would be huge misses!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

D4S

1st round Predictions 2009

Senior football

Liatriom v Longstone      
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Clann na Banna v An Riocht
Loughinisland v Warrenpoint
Castlewellan v Saval
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate football
Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness
Shamrocks v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Drumgath
Dundrum v Saul
Bredagh v Atticall
Downpatrick v Tullylish
Darragh Cross v St Johns

Junior Football Championship
Dromara v Aughlisnafin
St Michaels v Glenn
Mitchels v Teconnaught
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Leo

Quote from: guevara on July 10, 2009, 12:22:50 PM
Burren beat the Point by goal at Moygannon but referee was an absolute disgrace.
Burren should had two men off McGovern (5) & McCartan (6) both struck out & lot of there other players seem to enter as third man in niggles.
Penalty decision decided it which is fair enough but we had a stonewall one at other end turned down minutes later.
We have some serious injuries/ boys unavailable at the minute (7 or 8 last night I think)
but boys just need to keep plugging away & it will come!!

I was a neutral at the same game so maybe can bring some balance to this.
I agree that both Chris McGovern and Dan McCartan should have been lined. Burren had the sense to take McGovern off as he had just escaped a deserved second yellow while McCartann struck to the face right in front of me. However there was quite a melee of players in the area and I don't think the referee saw the punch. Warrenppoint no. 3 should have been double yellow as well, second bad foul and the referee let him off with a caution before the McGovern & McCartan incidents.
Warrenpoint have themselves to blame for defeat in a game that they were well in contention with throughout, because their constant fouling in defence, coupled with incessant yapping,howling, and theatrical falling over at the slightest tackle did them no favours at all.
I was actually impressed with some of their football (when they played, mainly their winghalf backs) but pity their poor manager who has to try and get it out of the players who are more intent in spolied-child antics that deflect from the game.
The number of times they surrounded and jostled the referee was unacceptable and counter-productive.
I actually thought the referee did quite well despite the wrong calls above. He clearly didn't want to send players off but in most cases he was decisive and explained his decisions albeit against a background of foul-mouthing mainly from Wpoint.
The other disappointing element was the bad language from the Burren sideline and the constant encroaching of their mentors onto the field to give team instructions. By the way, what does "front off" and "circle him left" mean? Such obscure instructions from the Burren manager not only left me bemused but didn't seem to mean anything to his players either.
From what I've seen Burren, who looked like they were making progreess a couple of years ago, have regressed intoa team of also-rans, while if the Point grew up they could maybe survive in the league.
Poor fare for Div 1 football on a perfect football evening and from langauge and behaviour poor example for the young kids at the game.
Finall fair effort to the Point in producing a match programme even if the team selctions had a touch of the "Ross Carr Mysteries" about them.
Fierce tame altogether

thewobbler

Senior football
Liatriom v Longstone     
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Castlewellan v Saval
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate football
Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness
Shamrocks v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Drumgath
Dundrum v Saul
Bredagh v Atticall
Downpatrick v Tullylish
Darragh Cross v St Johns

Dromara v Aughlisnafin
St Michaels v Glenn
Mitchels v Teconnaught

off the laces

Senior football
Liatriom v Longstone     
Bryansford v Kilcoo went for this if kilcoo have full panel available if not the ford by 2pts
Castlewellan v SavalMayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren
Intermediate football
Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness
Shamrocks v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Drumgath
Dundrum v SaulBredagh v Atticall
Downpatrick v Tullylish
Darragh Cross v St Johns

Dromara v Aughlisnafin
St Michaels v GlennMitchels v Teconnaught
Keeps 'er' straight

DownFanatic

Wobbler, its McComiskey not McCumiskey. Im 100% on that.

Now, let the oracle speak. I know everyone has been waiting for the 2008 prediction champion to reveal his selections and here they are:

Senior football

Liatriom v Longstone      
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Castlewellan v Saval
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate football

Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness
Shamrocks v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Drumgath
Dundrum v Saul
Bredagh v Atticall
Downpatrick v Tullylish
Darragh Cross v St Johns

Dromara v Aughlisnafin
St Michaels v Glenn
Mitchels v Teconnaught

guevara

Leo,

Although I respect with a lot you put on this forum Im gonna strongly disagree with you on this one.
If McGovern & McCartan shouldve walked why didnt they? I gaurantee if the roles had been reversed the outcome wouldve been different.
If you had been observant you wouldve noticed that these rows that started were the result of Burren players charging in as third man & causing the shoving/ pushing. Im not claiming our boys were angels but you make it sound like we were instigating the whole thing.

From what Ive seen of the games Ive been at this year ( most of Warrenpoints & quite few others) refs tend to want to be best friends with our county players. They are definitely leaning with the bigger name teams & are as inconsistent a bunch Ive ever seen.
I rate Neil Cousins & maybe 1 or 2 others but outside that they are brutal.

We are fighting for our lives & performances from referees like last weeks & last night are costing us valuable points!!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

supersub

div 1 league table anyone? website not up to date and dont have time to do it myself!

islandboy

a mallon - it may have been stephen molloy who was playing midfield.did he start the game or come on as a sub? may have been aiden nixon - he came on at half time

we were missing dan, magic and jamie(county), ben o reilly, mat doran, conor o toole, ryan carville, john turley(all injured),joe doran(lasted 30 mins injured) mark valentine(suspended) patrick mc kinney and conor killen( hols)
we cant cope without so many players but happy we gave the bridge a game

amallon

No he started in round the full forward line.

thewobbler

Was it Willie Russell? He's filled out into a big fella.