Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: Kingscourt Stars on August 17, 2010, 07:35:26 PM
Lads,

Great to see ye flying the flag for Ulster in the last four.  Thought ye might be interested in this.

ALL IRELAND SENIOR FOOTBALL FINAL TICKETS

Down to the last four of the championship, and we going to have new winners for the first time in at least 15 years. Therefore, tickets for this year's final are going to be harder got than obtaining a loan from your local Bank....

However, do not fear, as Kingscourt Stars GAA are running their juvenile club's annual fundraising draw and it takes place on Friday 10th September and for the first time ever, tickets are available online via their website - www.kingscourtstars.ie . This is the only fundraising event the club has in this regard and is of vital importance to the running of the many underage teams that the club fields in both boys & girls from U-6 upwards.

First prize is Two Tickets to the All-Ireland Senior Football Final along with overnight accommodation in the Skylon Hotel and €200 spending money. There are further cash prizes all the way down to 8th place.

All told, a prize well worth winning so why not try your luck and simultaneously help support all the good work that the many volunteers at underage level put in, not to mention the dedication of the young players as well.

So whether you want to be in with a chance to support your county in whatever unique final pairing comes through, or maybe you would just like to sample the experience on an All-Ireland Final as a neutral, just click on www.kingscourtstars.ie and try your luck....

Shameless plug... ;)

Kingscourt Stars

Naomh Pol

Shameless Plug?  Too bloody right  ;)

But hey you can't blame a lad for trying!!  I'd much rather we were playing and not have to reduce ourselves to this, but hey, such is the existence of a Cavan fan.....

Best of Luck against Kildare, and I will expect to see some Naomh Pol entrants on Monday week, or before depending how confident ye are!!!!

buglebhoy

I hear they are re-releasing the boys in red and black are back and doing a cover of 'Ireland's Call' in the form of 'Down's Call'.

Bit of a buzz gathering now for this big game!!

C'mon Down!!!!!   

dodgy umpire

Quote from: buglebhoy on August 18, 2010, 01:14:57 PM
I hear they are re-releasing the boys in red and black are back and doing a cover of 'Ireland's Call' in the form of 'Down's Call'.

Bit of a buzz gathering now for this big game!!

C'mon Down!!!!!   
Heard its being sold on CD and performed at The Cove on friday. I think thats in Mayobridge?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

5 Sams

If any of you are around you could do worse than go to this on Saturday in Ballyholland lads. A bit of crack and all money going to a good cause. There will be a big turnout from both squads....see you in the club afterwards for a few pints.

Down AI Champions 1994 V Armagh AI Champions 2002 – There's a lot of talk about this game which is being organised as a fundraiser for the Hospice by Paul Coulter.....it may be a friendly but....when have you ever seen a Down/Armagh friendly!!

Throw in is at 6pm on Saturday 21st and there is entertainment in the club afterwards....

This is a great opportunity to get a few autographs and photos with the stars of the past and at the same time support a great cause...there will also be one or two surprise guests! All for the princely sum of £7 (£2 for Children)
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

Its all happening this weekend lads!

Two neighbouring clubs from different codes Mayobridge GAC and Newry RFC have come together for the first time to organise a joint fundraising night.  Both clubs have partnered to run 'A Question of Sport' in Belini's Newry on Saturday 21st of August.  Guests for the night include Ireland International Andrew Trimble, former Ulster and Ireland player Simon Best, ex Springbok Rhys Botha,  RTE GAA pundit and former Derry player Joe Brolly, former Armagh Captain and BBC pundit Jarlath Burns and former European Heavy weight boxing champion Martin Rogan.  MC for the night is BBC Sports Austin O'Callaghan.  A finger food buffet will be served and the 'A Question of Sport' will be followed by a disco.  Tickets are on sale priced £20 and can be purchased from Newry RFC or Mayobridge GAC. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

5 Sams

If we get 3 or 4 hundred in through the gate at the match we won't mind if most of them end up at your do Aidan. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

umpire

10 more sleeps to Croker!!

Down teams have given me great moments in the past.

In my experience following the Down teams from 1960 era , these are my selection of best players who play for Down Senior Football team.

1. Neil Collins, Carryduff
2. Tommy McGovern, Burren
3. Leo Murphy, Lisnarcree
4. Tom O'Hare, Mayobridge
5. Cathal Digney, Saval
6. Dan McCartan, Glenn
7. Joe Lennon, Aghderg
8. Colm McAlarney, Liatriom
9. Jarlath Carey, Dundrum
10. Greg Blaney, Carryduff
11. James McCartan (sen), Glenn
12. Paddy Doherty, Ballykinlar
13. Mickey Linden, Mayobridge
14. Sean O'Neill, Newry Mitchels
15. Ambrose Rodgers (sen) Longstone

My second selection

1.Micheal McVeigh
2.Brendan Sloan, Attical
3.Conor Deegan, Downpatrick
4. Mark Turley, Glenn
5. Pasty O'Hagan, Clonduff
6. Barry Breen, Downpatrick
7. DJ Kane, Newry Shamrocks
8. Liam Austin, Rostrevor
9. Brendan Toner, Castlewellan
10. Ross Carr, Clonduff
11. Dalsey Mooney, Clonduff
12. James McCartan (jun), Tullylish
13. Peter Rooney, Warrenpoint,
14. John McCartan, Glenn
15. Benny Coulter, Mayobridge.

Others players  who have also played well.
Geogre Lavery, Kilwarlin
Pat Rice, Castlewellan,
Kevin Mussen, Clonduff
Tony Hadden, Newry Shamrocks
Breen Morgan, Annaclone
Willie Doyle, Liatriom
James Milligan, Ardglass
Micheal Cole, Rostrevor
Micheal Cunningham, Bryansford
Cecil Ward, Bryansford
Adrain McAuilfield, St Mitchels
Paddy Kennedy, Glenn
Brendan McGovern, Burren
Jim McCartan, Glenn
Donal Bell, Teconnagh
Brendan Mason, Loughinisland
Paul Higgins, Ballymartin
Paddy O'Rourke, Burren
Gregory McCartan, Ballymartin
Eamon Burns Bryansford.
Gary Mason. Loughinisland
Best match
1994 in Celtic Park Derry, Down v Derry in Ulster Championship

Best individual performance
Tom O'Hare, Mayobridge in 1968 All Ireland Semi-final against great Galway side who have won three in row 64,65 and 66.

Top Ten players
1.   Sean O'Neill
2.   Tom O'Hare
3.   Colm McAlarnery
4.   Paddy Doherty
5.   James McCartan (sen)
6.   Greg Blaney
7.   Mickey Linden
8.   Leo Murphy
9.   Tommy McGovern
10. Joe Lennon

Best Down Club Player
Shorty Treanor Burren,
never made any impact on Down Senior team., should have been good enough for Down on 91 and 94 teams.
Best Manager, Peter McGrath, Rostrevor.

downjim

Your right about O'Hare.. a player who could read a game , tackle and pass!!! Though i thought he sometimes took the man too much!! He was bulit like a shithouse and boy did he use it!!

Dalsey Mooney was a genius at underage and it was sad that we never seen his potential!!!

DownFanatic

On the topic of great Down players, which player do you believe had the biggest unfulfilled potential in our county over the years?

From what Ive seen, I'd say Aidy Mackin from Rostrevor could of been one of our greatest forwards.

dundrumite

Growing up I would say the Kingdom team that won the All Ireland feile in perhaps 1998 ( maybe Ned flanders will help me out). Some exceptional players for one reason or other never made the break through. Am thinking players of the calibre of James Annett, Stevie Annett and Ciaran Walsh.

thewobbler

There's varying levels of unfulfilled Down Fanatic.

Shorty Treanor is the most obvious underachiever, even though he played for a decade or more. Does that class as unfulfilled?

He might fall out with me for saying it, but Shane Mulholland should have been a fulcrum for Down for a decade, instead of for two years. They were two very fine years though.

Ciaran McCabe is off the same bracket; one of the best players in the country - not the county - but just never seemed to settle into a position for Down.

Collie Burns from the Shamrocks was an exceptional talent who never really broke the county ranks. Tony McMahon is of the same vintage and was maybe even more talented, but didn't seem to have the interest.

Michael Walsh. Enough said.

Injuries robbed us of Colm McAlarney Jr and Eoin McCartan, two seriously gifted players who would have lived up to their family names. Liam Doyle as well, perhaps even more so. And by all accounts, Brian Conlon was better than them all put together.

Shane Ward was perhaps the most gifted juvenile talent I ever saw in Down until Martin Clarke came along. He had a decade on and off the panel and never really fitted in.

There's so many.

twice is nice

Quote from: thewobbler on August 19, 2010, 05:20:52 PM
There's varying levels of unfulfilled Down Fanatic.

Shorty Treanor is the most obvious underachiever, even though he played for a decade or more. Does that class as unfulfilled?

He might fall out with me for saying it, but Shane Mulholland should have been a fulcrum for Down for a decade, instead of for two years. They were two very fine years though.

Ciaran McCabe is off the same bracket; one of the best players in the country - not the county - but just never seemed to settle into a position for Down.

Collie Burns from the Shamrocks was an exceptional talent who never really broke the county ranks. Tony McMahon is of the same vintage and was maybe even more talented, but didn't seem to have the interest.

Michael Walsh. Enough said.

Injuries robbed us of Colm McAlarney Jr and Eoin McCartan, two seriously gifted players who would have lived up to their family names. Liam Doyle as well, perhaps even more so. And by all accounts, Brian Conlon was better than them all put together.

Shane Ward was perhaps the most gifted juvenile talent I ever saw in Down until Martin Clarke came along. He had a decade on and off the panel and never really fitted in.

There's so many.
as u said so many!! even from my time as coach during underage set up have seen vast amount of talent that definitely had the ability but for some reason never starred for the county as thought they would have, tits from hilltown, manu from an riocht, pj and brian mc gov from burren, aidan fegan of annaclone, eddie magee of rostrevor along with others... im sure all coaches see 'great talented prospects' drift away from where they should be for some reason or other and then there are those who at youth level seem 'ordinary' but prosper and peak at senior level, probably out of dedication and hard work which should be applauded and proves talent alone wont gaurantee success or notice.....

dodgy umpire

Thought Ciaran Brannigan was a real talent in 2006
The Boys in Red and Black are back