Started by Ash Smoker, September 02, 2016, 12:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Can't think of a bigger total than 2-29 in a final
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Minder on September 04, 2016, 06:49:26 PM
Can't think of a bigger total than 2-29 in a final

Kilkenny got 3-30 against Waterford in 2008.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 04, 2016, 06:35:38 PM
What's Galway's ratio?
0 out of 2.
Cork and Galway have beaten Cody 3 times. Tipp twice

gallsman

Quote from: seafoid on September 04, 2016, 06:20:30 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2016, 05:15:18 PM
Have to say, I don't really buy the chip on the shoulder that Bubbles was showing there. They've been rightfully doubted over the years as they've had this talent and ability to compete with Kilkenny since 09 and after 2010 they decided to rest on their laurels and enjoy themselves too much.
2 out of 6.is below average

That's my point - people had every right to doubt them after their failures over the years.

waterfordlad

Kilkenny full back line lack of pace was badly exposed by a brilliant Tipperary full forward line. Paul Murphy even struggled. Kilkenny kept battling but the game was up for them after Tipp's 2nd goal. Tipp after they won the All Ireland senior and under 21 in 2010 didn't go on to dominate the game and win another few All Irelands as some expected so will be interesting to see can they do it this time. They have the players and a good manager in Michael Ryan who will try and keep their feet on the ground. It was a good game but the fact that Tipp won by 9 points means it wasn't an all time classic.

Orior

Quote from: Rudi on September 04, 2016, 05:08:52 PM
Bad form cursing on live television. It seems to be all the rage these days. Kilkenny looked flat, Tipperary far the better side.

No excuse for that at all. I don't care if it is in the heat of the moment, but it is a very poor advert. I texted his mate to give him a slap on live television, which he did with perfection.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Quote from: waterfordlad on September 04, 2016, 08:02:21 PM
Kilkenny full back line lack of pace was badly exposed by a brilliant Tipperary full forward line. Paul Murphy even struggled. Kilkenny kept battling but the game was up for them after Tipp's 2nd goal. Tipp after they won the All Ireland senior and under 21 in 2010 didn't go on to dominate the game and win another few All Irelands as some expected so will be interesting to see can they do it this time. They have the players and a good manager in Michael Ryan who will try and keep their feet on the ground. It was a good game but the fact that Tipp won by 9 points means it wasn't an all time classic.

The KK full back line were badly exposed due to the quality of the ball being played in and the space afforded to them by their own half backs shipping water badly with the young Walsh holding his own, but the Tipp forwards turned up today and were superb unlike the semi-final.
Tipp could dominate for the next few years if they keep their heads.

Bord na Mona man

Tipp were deffo 9 or 10 points better. However had they been only 4 or 5 points better it would have been a toss up as to who won. This past few years Kilkenny have managed to eke out wins when they've kept within range.

Looking at the amount of ball Tipp won close to the goals in the first half, they could have developed a world of goal scoring opportunities had the first receiver not opted to point on sight instead of holding it up for a runner. Part of their path to victory was the realisation that Kilkenny didn't need to be shown such respect.

For Kilkenny, this defeat for has resonance with their 2004 and 2010 All Ireland defeats. On both days they got wiped out in the last 20 minutes and looked jaded. On both occasions, Cody looked bereft of game changing ideas on the sideline also.
Both times it felt like the end of the era, but each time Cody came back with revitalised teams and some tactical refinements. This time he doesn't have the same material to work with though. Kilkenny don't have any all time greats on their team any more. Their underage hasn't been exceptional for a long time either.

Once other counties start to sense a dip in Kilkenny's supremacy, they'll all be extra geed up to have a cut at them. Right now Clare and Waterford probably have better players than Kilkenny. Once they start hurling the 15 Kilkenny men in front of them and not the aura that Cody created, Kilkenny may not have cause to block book the hotels for the first Sunday in September.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 04, 2016, 10:14:18 PM
Right now Clare and Waterford probably have better players than Kilkenny.

Clare have barely beaten a decent side in championship since 2013. They have lots of good players (albeit of a certain type) but physically they are behind all four of this year's semi-finalists. Some way behind.

maigheo

Davy Fitz and his tactics taking a beating on the Sunday game.Really like Brendan Cummins and would like to see him replace Duignan as the main commentator

GalwayBayBoy

moysider

Quote from: ashman on September 04, 2016, 05:29:39 PM
Imagine if a Tyrone player cursed like that on live TV. 😃

It was awful.

Never mind Tyrone. Imagine if a soccer or rugby player came out with an interview like that. An ass.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 04, 2016, 10:14:18 PM
Tipp were deffo 9 or 10 points better. However had they been only 4 or 5 points better it would have been a toss up as to who won. This past few years Kilkenny have managed to eke out wins when they've kept within range.

Looking at the amount of ball Tipp won close to the goals in the first half, they could have developed a world of goal scoring opportunities had the first receiver not opted to point on sight instead of holding it up for a runner. Part of their path to victory was the realisation that Kilkenny didn't need to be shown such respect.

For Kilkenny, this defeat for has resonance with their 2004 and 2010 All Ireland defeats. On both days they got wiped out in the last 20 minutes and looked jaded. On both occasions, Cody looked bereft of game changing ideas on the sideline also.
Both times it felt like the end of the era, but each time Cody came back with revitalised teams and some tactical refinements. This time he doesn't have the same material to work with though. Kilkenny don't have any all time greats on their team any more. Their underage hasn't been exceptional for a long time either.

Once other counties start to sense a dip in Kilkenny's supremacy, they'll all be extra geed up to have a cut at them. Right now Clare and Waterford probably have better players than Kilkenny. Once they start hurling the 15 Kilkenny men in front of them and not the aura that Cody created, Kilkenny may not have cause to block book the hotels for the first Sunday in September.
2013 was quite significant. KK have been reducing the percentages since 2012 . I think the gap between them and the rest has been reducing  Reminds me of Man Utd at the end of Fergie time

seafoid

Lovely quote in the IT

They were great on other days, just not here. That being the case, Tipperary could pay them no greater tribute than the walloping they gave them.

AZOffaly

Back down last night after a marathon 3 day sports weekend. No drink yesterday as I was with the little man for his first successful All Ireland. It's brilliant to see the excitement, and see it through his eyes for the first time. He was nearly 4 in 2010 so doesn't really remember it, but he'll remember this one. A double bonus is that his teacher this year is Niall O'Meara, so you'd imagine there'll be a couple of good days soon.

I said since the start of this year that Tipp were as close as anyone to having Kilkenny's number. Apart from the Lar Corbett fiasco, I can't remember Kilkenny blowing Tipp away too often. Their big problem was those periods where they went out of games, and their half forward line went missing. Yesterday the opportunity for that was there, after the Kilkenny goal, but Tipp refused and they were back up by a point a few minutes later, before Bubbles' goal. Tipp probably butchered two or three other opportunities when the wrong option was taken for a goal chance, and this could have been a shellacking similar to the Munster final.

Delighted for them, and it was great to see the serious excitement in the stands and on the field. It just makes me pine for the good old days of the 90s, but at least my son has started his own memory collection.

Well done to the minors as well. It's ironic that the lad who got man of the match actually played with the footballers early in the year! That wasn't Tipp's best minor performance though, and I thought they were lucky enough that they were just a superior outfit in general. Their first touch and shooting needs continued work, but I suppose that's the great thing about minors.

Hon Tipp. (For the day that's in it!)