Confessions

Started by fred the red, July 18, 2008, 10:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Scud says....People can discuss topics and subjects without having to have an in depth academic knowledge of their intracacies.
I say, of course they can discuss all they like, as a way of seeking information or knowledge re. the subject, but when they start expressing opinions, as some here are doing very dogmatically, then they just become laughable and are not to be taken seriously. When a court requires expert opinion on a subject, they do not send for any Joe Soap of the street. Established, recognised authority, supported by acaedemic qualification and experience is required. The opinion of the average man in the street is of no value in most subjects. What we refer to as our opinions are merely our prejudices. You childishly scorned my reference to moral relativism and the difference between subjective and objective truth, in doing so you merely affirm that you are less qualified than i am to venture an opinion, and i am poorly qualified. Fortunately for both of us, religion and its practice is more a matter of faith than knowledge, and faith is a gift freely given to be accepted or rejected in accordance with free will.

J70

How do you choose to accept or reject faith? You either find the idea of a god convincing or you don't. I don't see how choice can come into it at all. You cannot force yourself to believe in something.

Maguire01

Quote from: J70 on July 23, 2008, 12:00:07 AM
How do you choose to accept or reject faith? You either find the idea of a god convincing or you don't. I don't see how choice can come into it at all. You cannot force yourself to believe in something.
You can choose not to consider the alternatives and adopt what you were born into without any real challenge. Many, indeed probably the majority, do just this.

scud

Quote from: Pangurban on July 22, 2008, 11:56:51 PM
Scud says....People can discuss topics and subjects without having to have an in depth academic knowledge of their intracacies.
I say, of course they can discuss all they like, as a way of seeking information or knowledge re. the subject, but when they start expressing opinions, as some here are doing very dogmatically, then they just become laughable and are not to be taken seriously. When a court requires expert opinion on a subject, they do not send for any Joe Soap of the street. Established, recognised authority, supported by acaedemic qualification and experience is required. The opinion of the average man in the street is of no value in most subjects. What we refer to as our opinions are merely our prejudices. You childishly scorned my reference to moral relativism and the difference between subjective and objective truth, in doing so you merely affirm that you are less qualified than i am to venture an opinion, and i am poorly qualified. Fortunately for both of us, religion and its practice is more a matter of faith than knowledge, and faith is a gift freely given to be accepted or rejected in accordance with free will.

Pangurban, this is not a court of law. I find your elitist attitude toward your fellow man, frankly, depressing. The opinion of the average man in the street is of no importance in most subjects?? If thats your prejudice, fine.....

I did not childishly scorn your references, my point was that you used these terms in an attempt to discredit a discussion that is taking place, simply because you believe it is of no merit.

I have not ventured an opinion on the present discussion, nor I believe have you for that matter.