Concussion in the GAA

Started by mayo 4 eva, October 05, 2015, 10:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: thewobbler on October 06, 2015, 10:47:09 AM

Shortly after half time, based on what people told me (I've no recollection), a ball went into the corridor of uncertainty, and I elected to try to head it into the net, and in doing so I shipped a heavy knock on the head. Lay down for 30 seconds, then got up and at it. Allegedly I played a blinder for 10 minutes or so, when I decided to take myself out to midfield and drive the team forward (I still don't believe that bit). Then I lay down in the midfield area and decided to go for a wee sleep. The reserve management duo (including 5 Sams), got me revived enough to drag me over to the side of the field, where I lay down and came in and out of silly talk and sleep for 10 minutes.

This is pretty standard junior B behaviour.
Are you sure you had a concussion?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on October 07, 2015, 01:36:39 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 06, 2015, 10:47:09 AM

Shortly after half time, based on what people told me (I've no recollection), a ball went into the corridor of uncertainty, and I elected to try to head it into the net, and in doing so I shipped a heavy knock on the head. Lay down for 30 seconds, then got up and at it. Allegedly I played a blinder for 10 minutes or so, when I decided to take myself out to midfield and drive the team forward (I still don't believe that bit). Then I lay down in the midfield area and decided to go for a wee sleep. The reserve management duo (including 5 Sams), got me revived enough to drag me over to the side of the field, where I lay down and came in and out of silly talk and sleep for 10 minutes.

This is pretty standard junior B behaviour.
Are you sure you had a concussion?

It is funny, but it's an awful brain scrambler.  My first exposure to concussion was an U13 Leinster blitz up in Dublin. We had just played a semi final, and were waiting for the other semi to be played to see who we'd be playing. Then we noticed one of our lads, who had got a belt in the game but played on, crawling around on all fours, scrabbling with his hands on the dirt. We asked him what he was doing and he said 'What do you think? I'm getting a towel out of the hotpress to go for a swim'

seafoid

Aaron Kernan was concussed yesterday.

The implications of bad concussion are really unthinkable

http://www.abiireland.ie/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Feely took a nasty knee in the head from MacCauly and never looked right after it today. It is an area where the GAA needs to offer players more protection and punish clumsiness.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on January 27, 2018, 09:11:54 PM
Feely took a nasty knee in the head from MacCauly and never looked right after it today. It is an area where the GAA needs to offer players more protection and punish clumsiness.

He got an elbow then a knee in quick succession, if that was a rugby match the ref would have ordered him off. Kildare doc didn't look happy.
#newbridgeornowhere

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

As i said they can be quite clumsy at times for such excellent athletes.

BennyCake

Anyone got a link to what to look out for with concussion? Think there might have been a Gaelic Life article once but can't locate it.

A relative's youngster got a blow to the head, discharged from hospital. Just want to know what they should look out for over the next few days.

oakleafgael

Quote from: BennyCake on April 13, 2018, 11:24:06 PM
Anyone got a link to what to look out for with concussion? Think there might have been a Gaelic Life article once but can't locate it.

A relative's youngster got a blow to the head, discharged from hospital. Just want to know what they should look out for over the next few days.

http://learning.gaa.ie/Concussion

Cunny Funt

20 year old Roscommon footballer Conor Shanagher forced to retire. http://hoganstand.com/Roscommon/Article/Index/292879

Rossfan

Tough on the young lad but health and well being come first.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

manfromdelmonte

Are there more accidental concussions now?
Or is it because more players have extra bulk and players are moving at higher speeds?

GalwayBayBoy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/cormac-bane--i-am-not-functioning-properly-since-i-got-these-two-bangs-930195.html

There is a total lack of education surrounding concussion at GAA club level, according to former Galway footballer Cormac Bane, who has been forced to hang up his boots at the age of 35 following two bangs to the face which have considerably hindered the quality of his everyday life.

A message from Bane, posted on social media by his club, Caherlistrane, on Monday evening, outlined that medical advice has dictated he retire from the game with immediate effect.

"Hi guys, a disappointing day for me today. On medical grounds, I have to announce my retirement from football," he wrote.

"A serious and prolonged concussion injury last year has been followed by a similar one sustained versus Carraroe. Doctors have said that I can't continue. I just want to thank you all for your support and kind messages over the years. I really appreciated it."

Calling time on his 20-year adult playing career with Caherlistrane wasn't as difficult a decision as you might think. In truth, there was no decision at all. Bane has a wife and two children who rely on him. And as he was told by the consultant last week, a third blow would mean long-term memory loss, seizures, more severe mood swings, and, possibly, epilepsy.

"I was in a lift at work on Monday, I wanted to go to floor three, but I ended up going to the wrong floor. I'd be taking phone calls as part of my job and after I'd put down the phone, I'd have forgotten what the person said to me," Bane told the Irish Examiner yesterday, laying bare the implications of two separate concussions.

I am chatting to you now and it is going fine, but I could meet someone in five minutes' time, not be expecting to run into them, and I'll struggle to engage. It just doesn't come naturally anymore.

"Last week, I went down to the shop, but to get there, I had to cross the road. It is a quiet road but crossing was a bit of an issue for me. There were no cars coming, but it took me a couple of seconds to make the decision that you can go now. As I was crossing, I felt I was running across as I couldn't process what was going on.

"I feel worse today than I did the day after I got the second bang two-and-a-half weeks ago. All of this makes me uncomfortable. I am not functioning properly since I got these two bangs."

Bane has been playing adult club football for Caherlistrane since 1999 and yet it wasn't on the GAA field that he suffered his first brain injury. After stepping away from the inter-county scene in 2012, following seven seasons in the maroon shirt, during which he made 18 championship appearances, he threw his lot in with Corrib Rugby Club during the winter months to keep himself ticking over ahead of the GAA season starting back.

Full-back or centre is where he preferred lining out, but in February last year, he found himself at out-half as Corrib took on NUIG. Early in the second half, and having kicked possession downfield, Bane was "absolutely nailed" with an elbow to the face. After getting back to his feet and dusting himself down, the former Galway forward saw out proceedings.

But, as can be the case with a concussion, the symptoms were delayed in presenting themselves.

"When I got home, I started to struggle, didn't know where I was, got headaches, got dizzy, became nauseous," recalled Bane.

"I went into the doctor on the Thursday after, four days later. He said I was suffering concussion. After he did me up a letter of referral, we got talking about a Galway-Mayo game that had happened the previous weekend. Halfway through the conversation, I forgot what we were talking about. I said, 'Doc, I am after having a total blackout'."

From the doctor's surgery, he made for the Galway Clinic, where he spent a full week. The man who won a Connacht SFC medal from corner- forward in 2008, having kicked 2-1 the year previous to topple Mayo in a provincial semi-final, was six months sidelined due to this concussion.

He returned last September and didn't experience any difficulty until the first round of the Galway SFC on the final Saturday of last month.

"In the first minute against An CheathrĂș Rua, I got the ball, went to take on my man, and got a bang in the face. When I got up, I stumbled backwards. I said to myself, I'm in trouble here again. That was my last bit of football.

"Afterwards, I was standing at the car outside Clonbur GAA grounds and my brother went back in to get the keys as I couldn't drive. He was gone for all of 25 seconds, but during that time, I completely lost my bearings, didn't know where my brother had gone, didn't know which car was mine, didn't know where I was. I had to lean against the car because I was falling backwards. Next day, I felt I had to bang my head off the wall the pressure was so bad."

There followed more visits to the doctor and consultant, both informing him that he was putting himself at risk if he went back inside the whitewash.

"The depression last year and the depression since I got the latest bang is not good. It is linked in with the mood swings. You are up one minute and the next minute, for no reason at all, you are down." What concerns him is that the GAA community are not aware of such dangers stemming from concussion. Certainly, Bane wasn't until it twice landed on his doorstep. More must be done to educate club players, he believes.

"There are posters up around clubhouses in Galway and elsewhere detailing the symptoms of concussion. But a poster is not an education. We're way behind where we should be in relation to concussion education.

I don't believe concussion is taken seriously enough. The reason for that is people involved in the GAA, at club level, don't know enough about concussion.

The perception out there is that, after a bang to the head, you'll be grand a day or two later.

"I'm having conversations with people, telling them I'm concussed, and then they'll ask me, 'When are you back playing?' So you really have to explain to them what is wrong with you. You have to tell them, I cannot drive my car to work, I cannot carry out my functions as a father.

"What I've gone through, I wouldn't wish it on anyone."

grounded

Resurrecting this thread as i thought this was relevant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65397908

' Anyone with suspected concussion must be immediately removed from football, rugby and other sports and rest for at least 24 hours, under new guidance for grassroots clubs.

It says the NHS 111 help-line should be called and players should not return to competitive sport for at least 21 days.

The 21 day rule is probably the headline grabber. Not particular new news if you look at the previous report from Scotland in 2015.

Mourne Red

Quote from: grounded on April 28, 2023, 08:12:51 AM
Resurrecting this thread as i thought this was relevant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65397908

' Anyone with suspected concussion must be immediately removed from football, rugby and other sports and rest for at least 24 hours, under new guidance for grassroots clubs.

It says the NHS 111 help-line should be called and players should not return to competitive sport for at least 21 days.

The 21 day rule is probably the headline grabber. Not particular new news if you look at the previous report from Scotland in 2015.

GAA already have concussion guidelines in place - https://antrim.gaa.ie/assets/documents/concussion/GAA-Concussion-Management-Guidelines-2013-2016-Amended-Jan-2015.pdf

Was made to follow the above by our club physio when I got concussed a couple years ago.