Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Evra did fairly recently I think.

rodney trotter

Miguel Delaney tweeting no signings will be made by United in this window.

Cunny Funt

Northampton or Derby Away in the 5th Round FA Cup draw. Derby knocked United out of the league cup last season.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 27, 2020, 07:27:34 PM
Northampton or Derby Away in the 5th Round FA Cup draw. Derby knocked United out of the league cup last season.

Derby have to beat Northampton first
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2020, 07:30:58 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 27, 2020, 07:27:34 PM

Derby have to beat Northampton first

Have them at home for the replay.  Wayne Rooney v United if they win.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 27, 2020, 05:08:23 PM
Miguel Delaney tweeting no signings will be made by United in this window.

No he's not, he said Utd are prepared to end the window with no signings as negotiations for Fernandes are "at an impasse".

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/01/28/manchester-united-fans-right-protest-ed-woodward-death-chant/

"The below chant has been there at the past two Manchester United games I have covered: at home to Burnley last Wednesday and away to Tranmere Rovers in the FA Cup on Sunday. Not from every United fan but not from a small pocket either.

Gonna die, gonna die, Ed Woodward's gonna die
How we kill him, I don't know
Chop him up from head to toe
All I know is Woodward's gonna die
It felt even more widespread in the away end at Prenton Park, presumably because it is a smaller ground, than it did at Old Trafford.
It is unacceptable. Of course it is not meant literally and Woodward is in no harm but this just goes too far. Way too far. Whatever his failings in the job, United's executive vice-chairman does not deserve to be abused and certainly not like this.
United fans have every right to be angry. They have every right to protest. They have every right – and are right - to focus on Woodward and focus on the Glazer family who saddled a debt-free club with £540  million of borrowings, so far paying an extraordinary £1 billion in interest, through a takeover deal whose financing was partly structured by a banker who worked for JP Morgan. A certain Ed Woodward. Earning more than £3m a year, Woodward is now the highest-paid director at any Premier League club and few would claim – on the field – that his stewardship of United has been a success since he took the reins in 2013. 

Ed Woodward has not spoken publicly about the chant
Woodward should be accountable and should be scrutinised and he should know, and does know, that it goes with the territory when you decide to want to be the man who runs a club with United's scale, exposure and expectation. It is a very public job.
It was the Glazers' late father, Malcolm, who Woodward worked with on the deal to fully buy out United back in 2005 and it was Malcolm Glazer who was the subject of the "he's gonna die" chant during protests that year. More than 400 United fans gathered at Old Trafford on the night that news of the proposed takeover broke to chant: "He's gonna die, Malcolm Glazer's gonna die..." as they marched around the Old Trafford perimeter.
Another chant threatened to build a bonfire with Glazer on the top and Woodward in the middle and that chant, to the tune of Oh My Darling Clementine has been raised again in recent games as fans have sang: "Build a bonfire, build a bonfire, put the Glazers on the top, put Ed Woodward in the middle and we'll burn the f------ lot".
In a sense all that is happening now is an acknowledgement of history and a powerful reiteration that the fans anger towards the Glazers never went away. And, despite the trophies won and the success Sir Alex Ferguson continued to bring, why should it? United fans have never been happy with the ownership and that is their prerogative. It is their club and a football club is not like any other business as too many owners, executives, bankers and administrators continually fail to grasp.
Interestingly, the chants back in 2005, which were also raised inside the stadium during at least one match, were not condemned while a Glazer effigy with a noose around its neck was set alight as fans marched down the Chester Road, one of the main routes out of Manchester, and sat down in protests, stopping the traffic.
Is it just that we live in different times or was it wrong back then also? There is nothing wrong with chants of "we want Glazers out", "love United, hate Glazers" and "we want our United back" which have been heard more regularly in recent games while, actually, the most effective protest so far was during the Burnley defeat when fans sang "stand up if you hate Glazers" and thousands inside Old Trafford, and not just those in the Stretford End, responded. It felt like it had a more meaningful impact than a disgusting song aimed at Woodward.
United fans have turned again and who can blame them? It can be argued that the "gonna die" song is just a reference point to the strength of feeling at the time that has never dissipated and so it has more force because of that. It is only a song but it is distasteful; it is unpleasant and just because people did not say so 15 years ago does not mean they cannot say that now while defending the right to protest.
It feels like the biggest show of anger at United since the green and gold campaign and also feels like it is only going to get worse. Any thought Woodward had that appointing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as manager might insulate him was a big mistake because the United fans will turn on the legendary striker last of all whether he is up to the job or not.
Talk of a mass walkout for the Wolverhampton Wanderers game this Saturday is gathering pace on social media with fans urged to leave in the 58th minute to protest against the Glazers. It is the closest home match to the anniversary of the 1958 Munich air disaster which is why the 58th minute has been suggested to given it maximum effect, although some fans believe the time would be insensitive.

Empty seats will be the most powerful protest of all and there have been some in recent United home games while, as has been seen at Newcastle United and West Ham United this season, there is the wider issue of how fans can protest effectively for change. With both those clubs the protests have had an effect.
It just feels, with United, that the anti-Woodward song goes too far. It sends out a message that allows the fans themselves to be criticised. He is to blame. The Glazers are to blame. Maybe the fans think they need to be vicious to provoke a reaction. But that is never right. The point is this: if you sing like that the content can become the focus and the legitimacy of the protest lost. You put yourself in the wrong – rather than the Glazers – and make your actions easier to dismiss."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Live scenes at the Theatre of bellends as news comes through of Sanchez coming back in the summer to prove everyone wrong . . .

brokencrossbar1

I see Barcelona have stepped into the Bruno Fernandes transfer story....is Woodward just completely shit at this?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 28, 2020, 04:13:15 PM
I see Barcelona have stepped into the Bruno Fernandes transfer story....is Woodward just completely shit at this?

Impossible to encourage better players to a club sitting mid table, you only have to look at the players Souness and Roy brought to Liverpool
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 28, 2020, 04:45:30 PM

Impossible to encourage better players to a club sitting mid table, you only have to look at the players Souness and Roy brought to Liverpool

I thought it was simply a case of United throwing as much money as they liked at players and they'd join no matter what?

naka

or is it a case that united aren`t that bothered by ole signings as they know they are changing manager in the summer

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 28, 2020, 04:59:24 PM

I thought it was simply a case of United throwing as much money as they liked at players and they'd join no matter what?

If a player is interested in playing the CL then he'll look at those teams in CL, if a player wants loads of money he'll go to Utd if the other big payers aren't interested.

It's back to the big Ron days! Flashy club no winners

Cunny Funt

A myth not even Ferguson could always get who he wanted for example Ronaldinho,Shearer went elsewhere but like Klopp now at Liverpool he had good recruitment that meant more gems than duds were signed. And yes Woodward is completely shit at this.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 28, 2020, 06:14:30 PM

A myth not even Ferguson could always get who he wanted for example Ronaldinho,Shearer went elsewhere but like Klopp now at Liverpool he had good recruitment that meant more gems than duds were signed. And yes Woodward is completely shit at this.

The player has agreed personal terms with United. United are stalling on the asking price. Apparently Sporting are cash strapped and need money ASAP and the banker is playing hardball. Looks like it may be backfiring.....not that Woodworm really gives a sh1t....