Monaghan v Armagh Sat 22nd June Clones 7pm

Started by tonto1888, June 12, 2019, 07:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Armamike on June 20, 2019, 04:43:44 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 20, 2019, 03:02:56 PM
Quote from: naka on June 20, 2019, 12:57:48 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 19, 2019, 02:31:31 PM
I see Ciaran Branagan from Down is the ref, As refs go I think he's good, though you wouldn't need much of a ref to spot the fouls in the Armagh tackling.
tbf Main Street Monaghan are privy to the old sneaky fouling as well.
Brannigan is fine as a Ref though he should spot both sides at the dark arts.
I'm more talking about blatant bad tackling rather than a foul tackle or the tackle from the dark side.

Monaghan are much better at fouling than us.
Better at tackling.
Some of Armagh's tackling in the first game v Down was very undisciplined and costly, I thought this was well noted at the time by Armagh supporters. 

keeperlit

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 20, 2019, 04:23:32 PM
I fear this is where Armagh's championship campaign will end this summer. Monaghan have got two kicks up the arse from Fermanagh,Cavan and with the mini break and home advantage they should be winning this game. The three games and two extra times has taken a lot out of Armagh and manner of the fade out v Cavan for the last quarter of the replay was not a good sign for supposedly fit team.

Supposedly fit is right. It is obvious from watching Armagh throughout the year that their conditioning and fitness is nowhere near that of the top teams. This is at the end of end of a five year 'transitional' period. Whatever about having limited quality regarding players (which you often hear as an excuse for the regression of the counties fortunes) with the investment that has been expended by the county on senior team preparation there is, in my opinion, absolutely no excuse for the team not having the required conditioning.

dec

Quote from: keeperlit on June 20, 2019, 09:55:52 PM
I fear this is where Armagh's championship campaign will end this summer. Monaghan have got two kicks up the arse from Fermanagh,Cavan and with the mini break and home advantage they should be winning this game. The three games and two extra times has taken a lot out of Armagh and manner of the fade out v Cavan for the last quarter of the replay was not a good sign for supposedly fit team.

Supposedly fit is right. It is obvious from watching Armagh throughout the year that their conditioning and fitness is nowhere near that of the top teams. This is at the end of end of a five year 'transitional' period. Whatever about having limited quality regarding players (which you often hear as an excuse for the regression of the counties fortunes) with the investment that has been expended by the county on senior team preparation there is, in my opinion, absolutely no excuse for the team not having the required conditioning.

I think they look like they are unfit at the end of games, not because they are unfit or nor conditioned, but because poor tactics and bad decision making mean that they have had to do more unproductive running during the earlier part of the games.

keeperlit

Possibly. But did the down players make more intelligent decisions so they could conserve energy during the first game and this is why they looked fitter in last ten of normal time or were they just better conditioned?

illdecide

Quote from: keeperlit on June 20, 2019, 09:55:52 PM

Sure i was lead to believe that KMcG had them training 8 nights a week and doing MLA and sh1t...Surely they'd be fit as f**k?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

keeperlit

Quote from: illdecide on June 20, 2019, 11:00:56 PM

Sure i was lead to believe that KMcG had them training 8 nights a week and doing MLA and sh1t...Surely they'd be fit as f**k?

Freudian slip there- overpaid and underperforming!

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on June 20, 2019, 08:33:01 PM
Quote from: Armamike on June 20, 2019, 04:43:44 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 20, 2019, 03:02:56 PM
Quote from: naka on June 20, 2019, 12:57:48 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 19, 2019, 02:31:31 PM
I see Ciaran Branagan from Down is the ref, As refs go I think he's good, though you wouldn't need much of a ref to spot the fouls in the Armagh tackling.
tbf Main Street Monaghan are privy to the old sneaky fouling as well.
Brannigan is fine as a Ref though he should spot both sides at the dark arts.
I'm more talking about blatant bad tackling rather than a foul tackle or the tackle from the dark side.

Monaghan are much better at fouling than us.
Better at tackling.
Some of Armagh's tackling in the first game v Down was very undisciplined and costly, I thought this was well noted at the time by Armagh supporters.

It was and could well be a problem on Saturday night. That said I think we have a bit of a rep with referees, some players in particular, and we get penalised for stuff withers don't.

Brick Tamlin

Or maybe, possibly,  youve a core crew of fellas playing that love to flex and demonstrate their manliness to direct opponents which more often than not results in them conceding frees. Theyve quite possibly some of the thickest guys about when it comes to tackling, concession of fouls and picking up cards in games. Its astounding how easily they give away cheap frees. Their macho bullshit comes directly from their management team.

tonto1888

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 21, 2019, 11:12:22 AM
Or maybe, possibly,  youve a core crew of fellas playing that love to flex and demonstrate their manliness to direct opponents which more often than not results in them conceding frees. Theyve quite possibly some of the thickest guys about when it comes to tackling, concession of fouls and picking up cards in games. Its astounding how easily they give away cheap frees. Their macho bullshit comes directly from their management team.

Explain how this macho bullshit, whatever that is, comes directly from the management team. No doubt we have a problem with our tackling but I stand by what I said having watched a lot of games the past few years

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 21, 2019, 11:27:33 AM
Explain how this macho bullshit, whatever that is, comes directly from the management team. No doubt we have a problem with our tackling but I stand by what I said having watched a lot of games the past few years

Pay no heed to Brick. That's the old Down head on him.

I've said it before that in my opinion referees - certainly the leading referees - in our County, try and let too much go, which means players can get into bad habits as regards tackling.

Brick Tamlin

No youre right.
The constant grappling, wrestling and general off-the-ball nonsense and misdirected aggression that goes on probably has nothing at all to do with the fact that management might have introduced this group of players to the apparent virtues of MMA, Judo, Wrestling and other combat orientated activities, as part of their training regime over the last 5/6 years.

Its the refs that keep riding them.

tonto1888

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 21, 2019, 11:56:56 AM
No youre right.
The constant grappling, wrestling and general off-the-ball nonsense and misdirected aggression that goes on probably has nothing at all to do with the fact that management might have introduced this group of players to the apparent virtues of MMA, Judo, Wrestling and other combat orientated activities, as part of their training regime over the last 5/6 years.

Its the refs that keep riding them.

Where and when does this Armagh team do their MMA etc classes? Who teaches them? How much off the ball nonsense actually goes on? How often do you watch this Armagh team to see all this

Brick Tamlin

Il put it another way to you.
Can you honestly tell me that this particular group of players werent introduced to that type of 'training' by the current management or that they dont extoll the virtues of those activities on the players?

If you watch the games you can see exactly how much off-the-ball nonsense goes on.
Its probably fair to say its the rash or over-zealous 'tackles' that Armagh concede alot of scores from.

There are about 4/5 players you can be guaranteed will pick up a card of some description in Armagh'sm games.

But yeah maybe im wrong and the refs have it in for them. Thats probably more plausible.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 21, 2019, 11:36:32 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 21, 2019, 11:27:33 AM

Pay no heed to Brick. That's the old Down head on him.

I've said it before that in my opinion referees - certainly the leading referees - in our County, try and let too much go, which means players can get into bad habits as regards tackling.

Indeed. The frustrating thing for Armagh supporters is that this is not MMA, Judo or anything structured at all, it is simply sloppy tackling. This has been going on for years and we needlessly concede points in every game from frees.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 21, 2019, 01:47:46 PM
Il put it another way to you.
Can you honestly tell me that this particular group of players werent introduced to that type of 'training' by the current management or that they dont extoll the virtues of those activities on the players?

If you watch the games you can see exactly how much off-the-ball nonsense goes on.
Its probably fair to say its the rash or over-zealous 'tackles' that Armagh concede alot of scores from.

There are about 4/5 players you can be guaranteed will pick up a card of some description in Armagh'sm games.

But yeah maybe im wrong and the refs have it in for them. Thats probably more plausible.

It doesn't work like that pal. You're the on saying they have been. Where and when do they do this training? Which players are guaranteed cards every game?