NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the hop

Niall Corbett; Trevor Collins, Mark Timmons, Gearoid Hanrahan; Sean O'Flynn, Robert Pigott, Patrick O'Sullivan; John O'Loughlin, Sean Byrne; Michael Keogh, Colm Murphy, Eoin Lowry; Mark Barry, Kieran Lillis, Evan O'Carroll.

Team along expected lines, not much in the way of options at present owing to unavailability and other players only coming back. interesting to see the subs to see who made the cut. Lillis will hardly stay in full forward with the new mark?? Poor Sigerson lads not getting a rest before their final.

les Antiques

Beat Tipp in a challenge last weekend quite well with Lillis doing quite well in the full forward line with the mark .
Brody , Benny Carroll , Healy and Dillon all on the panel for the league .
Tomorrow will be difficult particularly if Roscommon come out of the blocks flying .

Unlaoised

Great result o carroll was outstanding
LAOIS ABÚ

Blow-in

His rolling around on the ground lets him down every game though.

Tony

Excellent performance and result by the lads today, and still missing a good few from the starting 15 like brody and dillon etc. Massive work being put in and great to see the likes of hanranhan and healy back. wasn't very optimistic about the year but by all accounts the training and the setup has been top notch this winter with the lads having good things to say about mike and background team. Can't get carried away after 1 match but the signs are promising for a decent year. These group of fellas are trying their best and we are happy with that, well done all

on the hop

real smash and grab, to be honest it didn't look likely after the penalty and Timmons black card. we had been poor for a lot of the second half but had hung in their with ross getting a few scores. Roscommon have themselves to blame trying to play down the clock instead of going for it with the extra man. Evan's goal started the comeback but also caused them to panic. He was having one of those days where he could miss a free, kick a point from the corner ,then lob one into the keeper and then kick a 45 and unforgivingly miss a one on one with the keeper. He has having a good tussle with the full back but spent as much time falling on the ground as he was standing up but probably didn't get half the frees he deserved. Maybe due to the battle he was having, was that he just let fly when the goal dropped in on him. it was some goal, a rocket. somehow we were back in the game and evan won the free on the half forward line for the second goal. After a conversation with the ref, ross took the free and screwed it in. in the middle of the bodies Lillis got it and lashed it into the corner and that was that.

We started well but missed three easy options before they scored from paly. it went toe to toe after that, we didn't commit many forward at times and kept them guessing changing our shape in the forwards. We really worked the mark well and one pre planned move saw lillis switch in, and immediately a ball was pinged into his chest and a good score from a mark. We made a lot of silly mistakes and they scored from a few. they sucked us in with the defense playing a very high line and a ball in behind saw smith score a goal. from the stand you could see it about to happen. They were far more aggressive in the second half and had the majority of possession. Their goal came from another mistake, lillis didn't hold a kick out and they broke fast through the centre, healy who had come on, was caught in two minds and didn't get the through ball and Timmons gambled on the tackle and got the black card. we didn't create a whole a lot until the last five minutes. Solid performance and good heart shown. Corbett didn't do a whole lot wrong and went on a solo run that brought him into the other half. backs in general were ok. Collins and o Flynn I thought were ok, hanrahan probably drew the short straw with their best forward. As usual the two midfielders did a lot of work, JOL got a right belt in the head and sat more in the holding role with Lillis bombing forward. He kicked some lovely scores. Byrne switched in and out of the area. Forwards were a mixed bag, Keogh got a nice score but appears very one sided, Barry handled a lot of ball and could be a good link man and murphy couldn't really get into it. Their were a number of subs with Ross kicking a few frees, it was great to see Healy back but he has a good bit to go and you would have to question his introduction. He ended up getting booked for a free and I thought he should have got to the ball for the goal but hopefully with improved fitness he will get better. Another tough game with ARMAGH NEXT WEEK.

Giovanni

Great report on the hop. To pull that result out of the fire in that way should do a lot for morale. Great leadership being shown by a few of the lads it must be said.

Chrimtain

Well done Laois. A few more results like that and we might just stay in this division, which would be a great achievement.

APM

Armagh calling! Taking a point off Roscommon wouldn't have been expected.  I thought you were missing a number of strong players and that things were a bit flat!

How will you do against Armagh on Saturday night? Not much love lost there and Laois is a real bogey team for us - we probably owe you at least one!!

Giovanni

Armagh probably favourites - looked very good against Cavan from what I've seen of the highlights. But we've got good character in the team now and that counts for a lot. Should be interesting!

recyclebin

Don't know how we snook the draw but we did! It was a close game right up to the second goal and then I expected Roscommon to close the game out but they let it slip badly. Laois were a lot better than I expected. A lot of the younger lads who haven't played at this level before coped well.

I was surprised to see Healy come on. He doesn't have the build or speed of a modern footballer. I think it will be hard for him at this stage of his career to make a big impact.

Surprised to see Gary Walsh making an appearance too. Didn't know he was in with the county set up. With the retirements of the Kingston it will be good to have him as an option in the forwards.

Chrimtain

I wasn't at the match, but heard we struggled in the half forward line. I wonder is Gareth Dillon an option there when he returns?

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Chrimtain on January 27, 2020, 02:40:17 PM
I wasn't at the match, but heard we struggled in the half forward line. I wonder is Gareth Dillon an option there when he returns?

I'd prefer to see Dillon at half-forward or half-back than at corner-back. He clearly shows his quality there for Portlaoise. Hopefully Hanrahan and Collins can solidify the corner-back positions as there own.

on the hop

Quote from: APM on January 27, 2020, 10:25:32 AM
Armagh calling! Taking a point off Roscommon wouldn't have been expected.  I thought you were missing a number of strong players and that things were a bit flat!

How will you do against Armagh on Saturday night? Not much love lost there and Laois is a real bogey team for us - we probably owe you at least one!!

was oisin o neill in the sigerson this year for Mary's, that's one serious player. surprised to see him listed at wing forward.

Tony

Quote from: recyclebin on January 27, 2020, 01:04:03 PM
I was surprised to see Healy come on. He doesn't have the build or speed of a modern footballer.

Well, if you say so then! See ya Cahir, man of the Laois championship many years, Laois' best player on many occasions, best attitude of any player in the whole country - Recycle bin says that you don't have what it takes to be on the Laois squad in 2020. Fairwell  ;D ;D ::)