Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on May 07, 2017, 11:52:43 PM
The transplant surgeon Dave Hickey told me he'd watched it from a packed bar in Kerry and when I finished there was a spontaneous ovation

Dear o dear.

Spat the coffee out over that one hilarious!! At least he's named his source this time!!

Fuzzman

I was expecting an article like this from Joe to be honest with the Derry v Tyrone match approaching.
I think he feels he needs to contribute something to the Derry cause in the form of attacking Tyrone in whatever way is possible.

He makes it sounds like Tyrone are a virus that has spread throughout the counties of Ireland having contaminated poor old Kerry and Dublin into those bad habits and how they seriously damaged poor wee Meath and Armagh over the years.
Poor Marsden junior will be ridiculed at school for years about how his dad cost his team two or maybe 3 in a row but in fact it was the Tyrone virus.

Back in the 70s, 80s and 90s you would never have seen a player being dragged down to stop a certain goal scoring opportunity.
Meath would never use cynical methods to "close out" a match. Kerry football was always pure and true to their ethos before they were tarnished by Tyrone in that puke football game of 2003.

Whilst Joe talks about Dublin and Kerry both guilty of all the horrible "win at all costs" tactics nowadays, he seems to lay the blame strongly at Tyrone bringing this into the modern game.

Amazing that Joe left the RTE studio and went down to the tunnel where the Meath team were standing in a group seething with anger that Tyrone had cheated their way to a win over them with their dragging down tactics.
Can you picture that scene where Joe there with his Derry halo comforting the Meath boys saying "Shhhhh shhhh lads, you'll be OK"

Yeah Joe goes on to say it was different in his day when defenders would beat the head of you but at least they would be meet you afterwards for a pint, give you back your teeth and all would be forgotten.
No rose tinted glasses here, just great fond memories of how the game used to be played hard and fair.

Some of my memories from when I was young was quite often games started with the other team punishing the head of your best player before the ball was thrown in to soften him up for the game ahead.

ashman

The transplant surgeon Dave Hickey told me he'd watched it from a packed bar in Kerry and when I finished there was a spontaneous ovation

Dear o dear.

If a builders  labourer told Joe the same story .......

Taylor

I normally like Joe's articles but this is straight out of the Dubs pre match preparation by planting seeds in officials heads prior to us thumping them in c'ship.

No matter what you do Joe it wont change the outcome.

I genuinely believe that we will beat them easy enough even with a player or 2 lined

Fuzzman

Wouldn't it be great if in the last few minutes there was another incident where Sean Cavanagh dragged a player down just for the craic and then blew a few kisses to the crowd.

As usual though Joe makes lots of good points that are correct with the modern game but he never ceases to amaze me what length he will go to to have a bash at Tyrone.

It will be interesting to see some Sunday with Spillane, Gooch and Joe on the panel. Would be nice for the Derry v Tyrone game.

Taylor

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 08, 2017, 10:52:42 AM
Wouldn't it be great if in the last few minutes there was another incident where Sean Cavanagh dragged a player down just for the craic and then blew a few kisses to the crowd.

As usual though Joe makes lots of good points that are correct with the modern game but he never ceases to amaze me what length he will go to to have a bash at Tyrone.

It will be interesting to see some Sunday with Spillane, Gooch and Joe on the panel. Would be nice for the Derry v Tyrone game.

The only downside of that would be

a. it would mean the game is close
b. it would feed JB more publicity to bash us

Avondhu star

Quote from: ashman on May 08, 2017, 10:35:59 AM

Dear o dear.

If a builders  labourer told Joe the same story .......

Joe has caught the Enda Kenny ' I met a man in the pub' disease
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

JoG2

Quote from: Taylor on May 08, 2017, 10:44:05 AM
I normally like Joe's articles but this is straight out of the Dubs pre match preparation by planting seeds in officials heads prior to us thumping them in c'ship.

I genuinely believe that we will beat them easy enough even with a player or 2 lined

Youse are getting turned over at CP.

Brannigan and Fuzzy logic hear should be on the Brolly PR payroll. You keep us all well informed of all things Brollyesque

Taylor

Quote from: JoG2 on May 08, 2017, 11:51:27 AM

Brannigan and Fuzzy logic hear should be on the Brolly PR payroll. You keep us all well informed of all things Brollyesque

;D
Course we are

The 1/4 is a very good price for us.
CP hasnt been a fortress in years. If it was in Omagh we would be 1/6 minimum

TheOptimist

Quote from: Taylor on May 08, 2017, 12:11:37 PM

;D
Course we are

Last year yous were telling us yous were the only team that could beat Dublin. Hows that going for yous?

Seany

I see some of you trying to apply basic logic to this article, as if he has decided he needs to start discrediting Tyrone or Dublin to give his own county a chance.  This is a county for which he inserted a death notice last year when they were beaten in the championship.  Believe me, no-one in Derry would thank him for his help.  He is not trying to create a positive climate for Derry; it is the least of his priorities.  For this person, his only priority is HIM!!!  At ALL times.  Even with his acts of giving. It's always about him. 

JoG2

Quote from: Seany on May 08, 2017, 01:53:30 PM
I see some of you trying to apply basic logic to this article, as if he has decided he needs to start discrediting Tyrone or Dublin to give his own county a chance.  This is a county for which he inserted a death notice last year when they were beaten in the championship.  Believe me, no-one in Derry would thank him for his help.  He is not trying to create a positive climate for Derry; it is the least of his priorities.  For this person, his only priority is HIM!!!  At ALL times.  Even with his acts of giving. It's always about him.

Ouch!

Haven't you heard Barton has the squad flying in training, the boys don't need Joe's help

Jinxy

Quote from: screenexile on May 08, 2017, 10:15:14 AM

Dear o dear.

Spat the coffee out over that one hilarious!! At least he's named his source this time!!

Such cynicism...
If you were any use you'd be playing.

screenexile

Quote from: Taylor on May 08, 2017, 12:11:37 PM

;D
Course we are

If the game was fixed for Omagh it likely wouldn't be played it's a shithole!!

Estimator

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 07, 2017, 08:23:55 PM
The same old targets again this week........

http://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/joe-brolly/joe-brolly-black-card-a-certificate-of-merit-for-good-teamwork-35688001.html

I happened to catch his bit on Rte radio that he refers to in the article. He managed to shoehorn every story that is in the article on to the radio. Even when the question posed bore no relation to the story he was telling.  Hickey, Meath, Marsden, Down.. the lot, all were mentioned. Once he gets a story in his head, he must repeat it over and over again.
Ulster League Champions 2009