Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Can anyone - copy paste the tweet - he has me blocked - I promise I didn't troll him!  ;D

criostlinn

Quote from: WT4E on April 14, 2017, 02:39:32 PM
Can anyone - copy paste the tweet - he has me blocked - I promise I didn't troll him!  ;D

Why I take AIB_GAA 's happy clappy 'support' for Gaelic games with a pinch of salt. Can we have our €46 billion back?

AZOffaly

"Why I take AIB_GAA 's happy clappy 'support' for Gaelic games with a pinch of salt. Can we have our €46 billion back?"

And it is followed by a picture of a quote from Montagu Norman in 1924 about how banks must keep the people down by repossessing homes etc in a crisis, thereby keeping the government in control and capitalism secure.

It's a very Brollyesque non-sequitur to divert attention away from something he's obviously uncomfortable with.

And it's a small bit hypocritical (shock, horror!) for someone to criticise AIB for supporting (Happy Clappy or not) the GAA and especially the Club game, when that person is happy to appear on a station which seems to go out of its way to ignore the club game.

AIB, by its sponsorship and constant exposure of Club GAA during the off season, is providing more of a service to the GAA and its members than an ego maniac who uses his platform to spew nonsense and personal attacks on the people playing and coaching the games.  Are more kids going to be encouraged to the GAA by AIB ads showing James O'Donoghue or Gooch Cooper and their ties to their local clubs, or by Brolly calling Sean Cavanagh names on TV?

Tubberman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2017, 02:47:14 PM

"Why I take AIB_GAA 's happy clappy 'support' for Gaelic games with a pinch of salt. Can we have our €46 billion back?"

And it is followed by a picture of a quote from Montagu Norman in 1924 about how banks must keep the people down by repossessing homes etc in a crisis, thereby keeping the government in control and capitalism secure.

It's a very Brollyesque non-sequitur to divert attention away from something he's obviously uncomfortable with.

And it's a small bit hypocritical (shock, horror!) for someone to criticise AIB for supporting (Happy Clappy or not) the GAA and especially the Club game, when that person is happy to appear on a station which seems to go out of its way to ignore the club game.

AIB, by its sponsorship and constant exposure of Club GAA during the off season, is providing more of a service to the GAA and its members than an ego maniac who uses his platform to spew nonsense and personal attacks on the people playing and coaching the games.  Are more kids going to be encouraged to the GAA by AIB ads showing James O'Donoghue or Gooch Cooper and their ties to their local clubs, or by Brolly calling Sean Cavanagh names on TV?

Ach, but he's a true Gael!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AZOffaly

I think he has a lot of interesting things to say, and probably is a true GAA man at heart, but he ruins is all because he can't help wanting to be the centre of attention and in doing so he spectacularly overshoots the runway in whatever point he is trying to make.

LeoMc

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2017, 02:47:14 PM

Holy fcuk. He will be blaming the Rothschilds next.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on April 14, 2017, 08:13:48 AM
The Joyce article has loads of information whereas TSG generally doesn't . It's more like entertainment. But that is presumably what RTE are aiming for.
It is was they are aiming for. You had George Hook for Rugby,Eamon Dunphy still talking shite on soccer, Joe Brolly and his opinions on football. RTEs so call answer to entertainment  ::)

Zulu

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 14, 2017, 11:18:46 AM
Quote from: Main Street on April 13, 2017, 11:06:52 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 13, 2017, 10:57:31 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on April 13, 2017, 09:59:39 PM
I wouldn't command a player to cheat if that's what you mean. Some things are more important than winning at all costs.

Breaking any of the rules of Gaelic football is not cheating. If it was then everyone on the pitch would be considered a cheat including the officials who do not implement the defined rules of the game.

There is a difference between being cynical in your action on the pitch and cheating.

The black card was brought in as a panic measure to prevent cynical actions on the field when referees and their assistants fail to fully implement the existing rules.  It doesn't work because when cynical action is required to win a game, it occurs and players regularly 'take one for the team".

Players play to win and those who are fully motivated and determined to do so will always carry out the actions that will ensure a win but do as little harm to their opponents as possible, hence for example the 'rugby tackle' rather than a foot trip.
You need to brush up on minor details, for example facts rate higher that emotional claptrap..

What are you talking about?

There were sufficient rules to deal with cynical fouls but not used by referees.  Black card was introduced in response to a moral outcry about a small number of actions, e.g. Cavanagh's rugby tackle.  Congress was played a video of cynical actions and then voted in the new rule. 

Has the Black Card stopped cynical play?  No.  Is it fully implemented by referees? No.

There weren't sufficient rules to deal with cynical play, that's why something had to be done. In reality, the black card has been very successful in reducing cynical play, nothing will stop it entirely so that's not a reasonable criticism of the black card.

tiempo

Quote from: joemamas on April 14, 2017, 02:19:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2017, 01:55:39 PM
A pop at AIB? About what? Interest rates, the housing crisis, 'Backing Brave', or the fact that they dared allow Padraig Joyce criticise him?

Pure Gobshite.

Having only met P Joyce in person once, and not being overly impresssed with his disdain for Mayo, I approached this article with a certain sense of negativity.

I could not have been more wrong.
Best and most concise analysis I have read in ages.
I hope he gets signed up by some newspaper, a way way more insightful that 80-90% of the shit that is now written.

He probably could have cut back on the last extra dig or two at Brolly. It would have had same effect.

Excellent piece

I tell thee one man who'll be gutted, Bigus Dickus Clerkin  ;D

Jinxy

Joe's ego is quite fragile really.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rois

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2017, 03:05:24 PM
I think he has a lot of interesting things to say, and probably is a true GAA man at heart, but he ruins is all because he can't help wanting to be the centre of attention and in doing so he spectacularly overshoots the runway in whatever point he is trying to make.
I was talking to "someone" last night (a bit like Joe's stories...) who was quoted in Joe's article on Tyrone the other week, though this person was given his full name and profession in the article. He is not happy at all with Joe and this seeming need to be so controversial is building up to come back and bite. This particular person is even more educated in the law than Joe. By mentioning him, Joe has completely disregarded the work the said person does for the GAA and has gone out of his way to make life difficult. So it's all funny and we excuse his behaviour because he is a "true GAA man" but he has actively put someone, every bit as much a true GAA man, in a difficult position in order to name drop and satisfy his own thirst for attention. Poor form.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rois on April 14, 2017, 10:10:39 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2017, 03:05:24 PM
I was talking to "someone" last night (a bit like Joe's stories...) who was quoted in Joe's article on Tyrone the other week, though this person was given his full name and profession in the article. He is not happy at all with Joe and this seeming need to be so controversial is building up to come back and bite. This particular person is even more educated in the law than Joe. By mentioning him, Joe has completely disregarded the work the said person does for the GAA and has gone out of his way to make life difficult. So it's all funny and we excuse his behaviour because he is a "true GAA man" but he has actively put someone, every bit as much a true GAA man, in a difficult position in order to name drop and satisfy his own thirst for attention. Poor form.

Just wait for his next high court appearance.

Jinxy

This is the point I was making before.
Joe lacks the emotional intelligence to understand that by recounting private conversations in a national newspaper he could cause difficulties for the other party.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rois

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on April 14, 2017, 10:58:26 PM
This is the point I was making before.
Joe lacks the emotional intelligence to understand that by recounting private conversations in a national newspaper he could cause difficulties for the other party.

Doesn't care. He fully understands all the same.