Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: redhandefender on December 15, 2016, 03:13:41 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 15, 2016, 02:47:33 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on December 15, 2016, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 15, 2016, 09:32:06 AM
Quote from: redhandefender on December 14, 2016, 09:50:25 PM
My understanding of the GAA was to promote Gaelic games and gaelic culture throughout the island of ireland no matter what your creed, culture or religion. Especially not the religion issue.

It is also my understanding that the GAA pre dates both the anthem and flag.

Personally I love both. If we truly want to be an open association then you have to make changes in the north to make one side of the community feel they can come on board. I don't need the anthem played or flag raised to tell me i am irish and i think it could be adopted at some sort of level. I would have no issue. Some in the deeply entrenched areas will never agree to any concession. They are exactly the same as those from the other side of the coomunity and there "never, never, never" shouts about removing the union jack. They feel threatened.

We should be strong in our identity and organisation that we can make concessions in certain parts of the country to bring the other side of the community on board and make them feel welcome. Instead of behaving like a kid who wants to hide away his best toy.

Brollys article was disgusting and divisive and made references to highly emotional events from the troubles without having any relevance to the point he was making. He is a horrible egotistical man who has completely lost the run of himself. He has no idea about the modern game at all
Your thoughts above would be on the money if the north had equality. Unfortunately it doesn't orange unionist culture pervades and dominates everything. The GAA is the only real tangible expression of an Irish identity in the north. Every other symbol of state is unionist and red white and blue. I would be all for the dropping of anthems and flags, but only in the context of respect for the nationalist Irish culture. Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon.

You can't wave one big brush stroke over the north like you have. Different areas will create different views on equality etc. The Protestant/Unionists I know respect Gaelic and the culture behind it. There are obviously those that never will. The mature way of dealing with it is to reach out to those that to respect it and bring them on board without fear. That leaves the others isolated in their own bigoted beliefs. It can still be an expression of your irish identity. You don't even need to do away with flags and anthems at every game its just a token concession to throw out the welcome mat and be proud of the Sport and association which the likes of brolly seem determined to knock.
OK then name me on symbol of this state that recognises the Irish Identity? They can't even make St Patrick's Day a Public Holiday FFS.

Sorry what? I never mentioned nor want anything to do with discussing symbols of the state on a GAA board nor any board. Go over to twitter and argue with your opposite number Jamie Bryson. I am not saying the GAA should pander to the DUP or state. I am saying I have no problem and think it goes with the ethos of the association to make it more welcoming for the unionist community who respect the values of the organisation.
You said I waved a broad brush over the North. I'm not arguing but stating my view that as an Irish person living in this place, the GAA is about the only means of expressing Irish identity in a meaningful way short of going to a republican rally, which I'd not be seen dead at.

foxcommander

Quote from: Jinxy on December 12, 2016, 06:51:04 PM
So anyway, Tommy Conlon has deleted all references to the article from his Twitter profile.
Even the balls.ie piece about the article is gone!

Conlon hasn't the balls to stand by his comments. What a piece of shit this excuse for a human is.
I hope he gets sued to high heaven.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Franko

I take it Brolly has pulled him/Sindo on this line:

"Kevin Lynch played underage hurling for Dungiven before he moved on to greater things. He decided to do a bit of killing for Ireland..."

As Kevin Lynch was never convicted of killing anyone, this leaves them wide open.  I'd love that ignoramus to have dug his heels in and we'd have then got the pleasure of watching Brolly going to town on him in court.  I can't believe someone in an editorial capacity let that go to print.

Rossfan

Not a lawyer but I believe libel doesn't extend to the dead.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

You'd be better off not giving that fcukwit pseudo journalist the oxygen of recognition.
brolly did prob take ofearghaills comments a bit too hard bit it shows recently through this and president ohiggins castro comments that you need to think about your public comments when in high office.

as for that idiot pseudo jjourno hack - he is ill informed if not completely uninformed.
his comments on Kevin Lynch, his objectives , his reasons fir joining that particular organisation etc etc are all utterly unresearched.
but the sindo is notorious for shoddy work and second class third rate employees.

the people of Dungiven don't care with almost 800 people at the rencent 50 year hurling club anniversary dinner dance gala ball.
historic videos played with cheers for archives of Lynch captaining Dungiven in the inaugural feile in tipp. read pat spillanes book 'no pat on the back' page 64 I think to see what the clubs name means to the people of the town and surrounding area. 
Guest speakers Brian Cody and Jackie tyrell were happy to be present and  talk again. tyrrell asked to visit the hurling shrine that is Lynch's house too  - which will happen whenever he wants to go.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 15, 2016, 12:54:01 PM
How on earth is Amhrán na bhFiann sectarian? Not one mention of religion in the lyrics. Overtly republican and militaristic, yes, but not in any way sectarian. The last time I stood on the pitch or in the stands and looked at the tricolour while singing the anthem had nothing to do with religion, nor did the decision to fly the flag in the first place. It's an expression of Irish identity and nothing to do with sectarianism.
I know there isn't but there are more forms of sectarianism than religious bigotry.  According to  Merriam-Webster, sectarianism means
"relating to religious or political sects and the differences between them" and I'd go along with that.
BTW, I'm not saying that I approve or disapprove of the use of the flag and the anthem at Gaelic matches in Norn Iron; they merely serve as yet another reason not to break down barriers between the communities.
I mean it's about 390 years since the Plantation of Ulster and only 20 since the GFA so there's a long, long way to go before there is any sort of unity on this island. I'd imagine that there never will be a time when all religious animosity is put aside but, all the same, Ó Fearghail was right to bring the issues of identity at Gaelic matches up for discussion and debate.
Talking won't harm anyone.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

Quote from: Franko on December 15, 2016, 05:47:44 PM

"Kevin Lynch played underage hurling for Dungiven before he moved on to greater things. He decided to do a bit of killing for Ireland..."

As Kevin Lynch was never convicted of killing anyone, this leaves them wide open.  I'd love that ignoramus to have dug his heels in and we'd have then got the pleasure of watching Brolly going to town on him in court.  I can't believe someone in an editorial capacity let that go to print.

Nah, I'd wager it's more to do with what was said or implied about Joe himself.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on December 15, 2016, 07:27:04 PM

Nah, I'd wager it's more to do with what was said or implied about Joe himself.

Up until the Liam Lawlor case, it was the law in Ireland that you can't libel the dead. Mainly because they can't sue. Not sure if that changed after Lawlor though.

http://politico.ie/archive/libel-dead
MWWSI 2017

Il Bomber Destro

I can't believe someone in an editorial capacity let that go to print.

It's the Independent you're talking about here.

Jinxy

The Sports editor of the Sindo (John Greene) is a good mate of Joe's as well.
He would have had to give the article the go ahead, which makes things extra awkward.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on December 15, 2016, 09:32:36 PM
The Sports editor of the Sindo (John Greene) is a good mate of Joe's as well.
He would have had to give the article the go ahead, which makes things extra awkward.

Doubt he read it, sure he's from Longford and literacy is not exactly a strong quality in that county.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

five points

Quote from: muppet on December 15, 2016, 07:36:41 PM
Up until the Liam Lawlor case, it was the law in Ireland that you can't libel the dead. Mainly because they can't sue. Not sure if that changed after Lawlor though.

http://politico.ie/archive/libel-dead

It didn't.

FermGael

Joe getting a full apology in tomorrows paper
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

longballin

More than Brolly should get an apology - family of Kevin Lynch for a start. Conlon should be fired for that dirt.

Rossfan

He'll be made Managing Director for slagging a hunger striker.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM