Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dferg

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2016, 05:22:19 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 07, 2016, 04:37:22 PM
Quote from: dferg on November 07, 2016, 04:04:03 PM
That's at least 3 times Joe has rehashed the same article with a different name.

The story about the Antrim players laughing about the balloon would have had a better punchline if the players had said and then we ditched the psychologist and have been winning matches ever since.
No psychologist,  it was a recorded message from a hypnotist, words played on machine, therefore in Joe's eyes, all sports psychology is bunkum.
If it worked with Mayo it wouldn't be
He made some good points about what Mayo have not been doing in the article.
Not scoring off the weak foot is criminal at that level.
I think Joe is mistaking psychology with some Jesus like ability to turn water into wine. If it helps 1 player to do some visualisation before they take a pressure free then it will be worth it. Like having warm down stretches might help 1 player avoid a future hamstring and drinking lots of fluids the night before might help 1 player from getting a cramp. I'm fairly sure there is no psychologist could make me the next world darts champion.

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on November 07, 2016, 05:41:07 PM
There is a place for sports psychology if used properly and from the right people. However the gist of Brolly's argument is true. This industry is full of bluffers and spiv's simply in it for a quick buck. There are plenty of corporate motivational guru's who throw out a load of mumbo jumbo lingo to impress an audience who are forced to buy into this positivity talk. I've no doubt there are some people who buy into it but I find the whole thing extremely false and full of pretence.
Positive thinking in business is bullshit. If the economy is deflating people have very little impact on what happens. Telling them to think positive is taking the piss.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

the article included this

"A video is doing the rounds showing Djokovic sitting in a group of people with Imaz, saying, "We need to be able to look inwards and to establish a connection with the divine light." It will no doubt be an amiable distraction for Djokovic, but when he hits his stride again soon, it will establish Imaz as a doyen of motivators. Athletes and top teams live in a bubble, often lonely, always searching for an edge. So a charismatic, convincing communicator who takes their side can be irresistible."

Main Street

That's at least 3 times Joe has rehashed the same article with a different name.

The story about the Antrim players laughing about the balloon would have had a better punchline if the players had said and then we ditched the psychologist and have been winning matches ever since.
No psychologist,  it was a recorded message from a hypnotist, words played on machine, therefore in Joe's eyes, all sports psychology is bunkum.
How do you know what worked and what did not work for Mayo.
In Joe's fantasy courtroom, his opinion counts for gilded evidence , enough evidence to prove beyond doubt the veracity of his opinion that sports psychology did not work for Mayo.
Afaia, Mayo exceeded most everybody's expectations in the championship as they stumbled along into the latter stages. Then they ran the so called super team of the century  (a team which had trounced every other team)  to the very limits of their ability over 2 games.
Next comes pop tabloid psychologist Joe  with his kindergarten mantras about losers and winners, at the same time decrying the benefits of the  use of masters of science psychologists in the game.

Dublin hired a sports psychologist
Maybe Dublin benefitted from some sports psychology in their preparation which helped them over the line, just ahead of Mayo.
Helped them to deal with the jitters in the last 5 minutes in the replay
and that "fact" proves beyond doubt that sports psychology reaps dividends. ::)

5 Sams

Poor Joe has been blocked by Enda on twitter ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Aristocrat Years

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on November 07, 2016, 06:16:36 PM

How do you know what worked and what did not work for Mayo.
In Joe's fantasy courtroom, his opinion counts for gilded evidence , enough evidence to prove beyond doubt the veracity of his opinion that sports psychology did not work for Mayo.
Afaia, Mayo exceeded most everybody's expectations in the championship as they stumbled along into the latter stages. Then they ran the so called super team of the century  (a team which had trounced every other team)  to the very limits of their ability over 2 games.
Next comes pop tabloid psychologist Joe  with his kindergarten mantras about losers and winners, at the same time decrying the benefits of the  use of masters of science psychologists in the game.

Dublin hired a sports psychologist
Maybe Dublin benefitted from some sports psychology in their preparation which helped them over the line, just ahead of Mayo.
Helped them to deal with the jitters in the last 5 minutes in the replay
and that "fact" proves beyond doubt that sports psychology reaps dividends. ::)
Mayo went to replays in big matches 3 times in the last 3 years. Did they lose all of the replays by a point?  They are obviously as good as anyone. But they can't close the deal.  Why not ?
Dublin know how to grind out a win. Even Donegal knew.Maybe Mayo are focusing on the wrong thing.  Maybe I believe I can fly is not what you need when up are in a scoring position off your bad foot.
The backs deserve an inquest 

haranguerer

Hes in the entertainment business - its entertainment!! Who gives a f**k what he thinks?

ashman

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 07, 2016, 11:27:56 PM
Poor Joe has been blocked by Enda on twitter ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's 2 of the 2002 Armagh team who won't be sending Joe cards this Christmas .

BennyHarp

Quote from: haranguerer on November 08, 2016, 08:23:06 AM
Hes in the entertainment business - its entertainment!! Who gives a f**k what he thinks?

Because people do give a f**k what he thinks, that the problem. The personal attacks are ok to laugh off when they aren't aimed at you. The uneducated attacks on people professional work a la McNulty are ok if its not your business. His bullshit views on the game, i.e. black cards, rule changes regarding kick outs etc are ok, until they come into the GAA rulebook. If people genuinely didn't take him seriously then we could all laugh at the court jester but that, unfortunately, is not the case.
That was never a square ball!!

haranguerer

And doesn't going round in circles and frothing at the mouth on here compound that?

Incidentally, how do you think he should be dealt with?

seafoid

Quote from: haranguerer on November 08, 2016, 09:20:40 AM
And doesn't going round in circles and frothing at the mouth on here compound that?

He should get his own chatshow on RTE

Il Bomber Destro

McNulty's line of business is f**king rotten to say the least.

BennyHarp

Quote from: haranguerer on November 08, 2016, 09:20:40 AM

I don't think the national broadcaster should offer him a platform to spout some of the bile that he comes out with. I've no problem with the shite he writes in newspapers - its a persons prerogative to buy the paper. But a captive audience on a show like the Sunday Game shouldn't have to listen to him personally abuse another person and make up nonsense stories like he does. How many yearns does he have about chatting to a player last week? The entertainment should be in the football, not in the ramblings of the man supposedly there to analyse the game.
That was never a square ball!!

haranguerer

I understand that, just it seems to me people are usually more effectively dismissed by laughing at them rather than ranting about them.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 08, 2016, 09:14:39 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 08, 2016, 08:23:06 AM

Because people do give a f**k what he thinks, that the problem. The personal attacks are ok to laugh off when they aren't aimed at you. The uneducated attacks on people professional work a la McNulty are ok if its not your business. His bullshit views on the game, i.e. black cards, rule changes regarding kick outs etc are ok, until they come into the GAA rulebook. If people genuinely didn't take him seriously then we could all laugh at the court jester but that, unfortunately, is not the case.
100% agree Benny
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either