Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Someone calls bullshit on one of Brolly's anecdotes? That's a shocker!
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

somebody needs to turn round and tell him to shut he f**k up, he constantly interrupts people, so annoying, wonder he do this shit in court?:

Fuzzman

What do people think of Brolly's latest article as below
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-the-penny-has-to-drop-we-need-to-get-back-to-playing-the-game-really-playing-35019237.html

As usual he makes some very good interesting points, especially how Kerry have abandoned their traditional style for the Ulster blanket defensive style but I think he's looking through blue rose tinted glasses a bit if he thinks the Dubs don't play a lot more defensively now as well. Jim Gavin has sensibly made Dublin a lot more cautious defensively since the Donegal semi defeat 2 years ago but Joe seems to be hell bent in having a pop at Kerry for not going toe to toe with Dublin and providing us with more of the entertainment that was on display in 2013 when many said this was the best match for years and could mark the end of the negative blanket defensive style.

I'm just curious how do most of ye see Dublin this year? Are they more conservative than other years? I don't think they go for goals as much as they did other seasons yet the scored over 20 points v Kerry.
I as a Tyrone fan living in Dublin am fed up watching us often getting 13 or 14 men behind the ball and not playing any sort of direct attacking football but I think Kerry and Dublin showed you can still have an entertaining game with lots of scores and goals without going gung ho with no emphasis on defence.

DUBSFORSAM1

I think the big difference is that Dublin use their attacking ability as a defensive weapon. In terms of blanket defence etc they get their half forwards etc to track back but they start defending from the front and don't pick a forward to drop back into sweeper role. Dublin wouldn't concede much more than any of the defensive teams but do score far more. Seeing Tyrone playing with 13 players in defence when losing to Mayo in the qtr-final and allowing Mayo to just pass over and back in the last  5 mins was shocking.

AZOffaly

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 07, 2016, 03:00:07 PM
I think the big difference is that Dublin use their attacking ability as a defensive weapon. In terms of blanket defence etc they get their half forwards etc to track back but they start defending from the front and don't pick a forward to drop back into sweeper role. Dublin wouldn't concede much more than any of the defensive teams but do score far more. Seeing Tyrone playing with 13 players in defence when losing to Mayo in the qtr-final and allowing Mayo to just pass over and back in the last  5 mins was shocking.

What you've just described is forwards working hard to defend, as they bloody should! That some people think this is the same as the blanket defence is a bit worrying.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2016, 05:27:18 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 07, 2016, 03:00:07 PM

What you've just described is forwards working hard to defend, as they bloody should! That some people think this is the same as the blanket defence is a bit worrying.

Hurling folk call that inteshity.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

No, intensity is when they actually bother their arse tackling, instead of 'marking space'.

Rossfan

That marking space is a great success.
I've never heard of space ever getting a score in any game.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2016, 12:27:43 PM
No, intensity is when they actually bother their arse tackling, instead of 'marking space'.

As Jinxy might say, the Dubs won't fear space.
MWWSI 2017

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 08, 2016, 04:19:38 PM

Marking space hasn't done Cian OSullivan any harm

mrdeeds

All Ireland final in 1996. There was a space no one was marking and it went over bar to bring it to replay.

DuffleKing

That well known idiots' phrase

Mayoffs

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 08, 2016, 08:08:10 PM

All Ireland final in 1996. There was a space no one was marking and it went over bar to bring it to replay.

That was the goalkeepers space !
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

sans pessimism

Quote from: ck on July 13, 2016, 11:30:03 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 12, 2016, 06:56:22 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 12, 2016, 12:12:37 PM
Not many good pundits around from Tyrone.
I can barely understand them anyway.
Logie would be the exception.

It's not only on the field of play that you're totally oblivious to Canavan's presence.  :P

Yep Canavan is excellent on Sky. Best in the business IMO
Bound to be next Tyrone manager?
hmm...Cavan Gaels might not agree
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

twohands!!!

Quote from: sans pessimism on September 08, 2016, 08:26:35 PM
Quote from: ck on July 13, 2016, 11:30:03 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 12, 2016, 06:56:22 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 12, 2016, 12:12:37 PM
Not many good pundits around from Tyrone.
I can barely understand them anyway.
Logie would be the exception.

It's not only on the field of play that you're totally oblivious to Canavan's presence.  :P

Yep Canavan is excellent on Sky. Best in the business IMO
Bound to be next Tyrone manager?
hmm...Cavan Gaels might not agree

His stint in charge of Fermanage was distinctly unimpressive too.

World of difference between able to point things out on the telly and the hard graft of actually managing a team.