Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 23, 2016, 12:27:57 AM
It takes hindsight most times, but Joe is rarely wrong.

Yer bollocks. Joe changes his mind in a blink, eloquently.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Wonder if Joe thinks Damien Barton really thinks his Derry players are crap,or has this in fact been proven?

yellowcard

Quote from: T Fearon on May 22, 2016, 07:46:53 PM
Wonder if Joe thinks Damien Barton really thinks his Derry players are crap,or has this in fact been proven?

I seem to remember Brolly going to town on Paul Gromley a few years back for a poor defeat against Cavan in Breffni Park. I wonder will be as vocal against 2 of his former teammates who overseen today's meek display against Tyrone. I suspect not, proving that personalities DO come into it where Brolly is concerned.

T Fearon

Correct.I also suspect Barton wouldn't be slow to apply his boot to Joe's posterior

omaghjoe

Quote from: T Fearon on May 22, 2016, 08:47:48 PM
Correct.I also suspect Barton wouldn't be slow to apply his boot to Joe's posterior

And the Grimleys wouldn't?

ashman

I think it is fair to say Joe and Kieran McGeeney are not on each others Christmas card list .

Esmarelda

Brolly was in great form yesterday. Probably a bit overboard on McGeeney but his point on the enjoyment of GAA and reminding us about the whole SJ affair were spot on in my opinion. O'Rourke was quite good too I thought.

omagh_gael

I did get a good chuckle out of the Kildare club hurler bits.

Jinxy

Brolly and O'Rourke work well together as there is mutual respect.
Rarely gets awkward, except for the time Brolly had the dig at him about NAMA.
I thought his remark at the end about the Free State giving Colm a farm was pretty funny.  :D
Throw Spillane into that mix and the dynamic changes totally.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on May 30, 2016, 09:47:56 AM
Brolly and O'Rourke work well together as there is mutual respect.
Rarely gets awkward, except for the time Brolly had the dig at him about NAMA.
I thought his remark at the end about the Free State giving Colm a farm was pretty funny.  :D
Throw Spillane into that mix and the dynamic changes totally.

On the night time Sunday Game you could see Dessie and Ciaran Whelan chuckling to themselves when Spillane was touting Mayo as the only serious challengers to the Dubs this year. Probably the least neutral pundit out there.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

screenexile

It's an interesting one alright. . . the game as we know it now is not the game I used to play and I don't think I would derive the same sense of enjoyment out of it were I to be 15/16 years of age now. Our lads at that age are all into core strengthening and systems and what's the point?

Unless I was winning that might be the only way but if you're not winning matches and having to play that joyless defensive game why would you bother?

Jinxy

Maybe if you never knew anything different though, you'd enjoy modern football just as much.
Maybe it's not all as joyless as we think it is.

DuffleKing

The game is different now than when most of us were growing up / playing, that is not in doubt.

However, players from u8-senior et the exact same enjoyment out of it as we did. They just understand the game and look at the game through a different prism.   

I remember the calls for rule changes when donegal won the all Ireland in 92 running the ball. I don't quite remember the taking out of a threatening Antrim team in the 50s by the roots because their dynamic hand passing running game was sweeping them towards an all Ireland. The hand pass was promptly outlawed and a closed fist pass decreed.

The irony is actually that pundits are from previous generations and imprint their views on the current generation. I know county players in over a half dozen counties and I have no doubt they have the same love and passion for their version of the game as every generation that went before. This pontificating - particularly by Brolly who hasn't a clue- is nothing but old men lamenting their youth and wishing it on youngsters.

Jinxy

Brolly is probably not the poster boy he thinks he is for 'enjoying' your football anyway.
Even in the era he played, he was probably considered to be a bit too casual for his own good.
I've read Colm O'Rourke's book and it wasn't all sunshine and lollipops for those lads by any stretch of the imagination.
And, to be honest, a lot of the games back then didn't look like much fun to play in either.