Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: screenexile on May 27, 2015, 11:44:19 PM
Let me explain the difference to you lads... Joe Brolly sickens my hole a lot of the time but calling his character into question "as a man" is just plain wrong!! (Just as it was wrong for Joe to do the same against Cavanagh - he apologised).

I've said Mickey Harte is a hypocrite who certainly has 2 sides to him but I don't question his ability as a manager or what he's been through!

The reason I used that comment about questioning him as a man was a tongue in cheek reference to the comment he made about Cavanagh, but sure it just highlights how silly his comment was in the first place. Like I said in a previous post, Joe is good at ridiculing in public and apologising in private. A public slur is not deleted by a private apology.
That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Let me explain the difference to you lads... Joe Brolly sickens my hole a lot of the time but calling his character into question "as a man" is just plain wrong!! (Just as it was wrong for Joe to do the same against Cavanagh - he apologised).

There's a difference all right, what with Brolly spitting it out in an apoplectic manner in a television studio about Cavanagh, and some lad writing the very same about him on a discussion board. As for his 'apology', they cease to carry any weight any more, since it's only a question of a little time until he insults someone else from a height; his apologies are long since a busted currency.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

screenexile

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 27, 2015, 11:51:38 PM

There's a difference all right, what with Brolly spitting it out in an apoplectic manner in a television studio about Cavanagh, and some lad writing the very same about him on a discussion board. As for his 'apology', they cease to carry any weight any more, since it's only a question of a little time until he insults someone else from a height; his apologies are long since a busted currency.

I fail to see how that's the case since both Cavanagh and Marty have both accepted his apologies!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: screenexile on May 28, 2015, 12:13:14 AM
I fail to see how that's the case since both Cavanagh and Marty have both accepted his apologies!!

Let's just say that discretion trumps churlishness.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

omaghjoe

I've said Mickey Harte is a hypocrite who certainly has 2 sides to him but I don't question his ability as a manager or what he's been through!

Look I know its hard to grasp but using the "man" judgement is quite obvious that it is turning Joe's own words and standards back on himself. What constitutes "man enough" anyway? Its a very abstract thing that is hard to define and differs from person to person. Turning the phrase back on Joe is only using his own standards of what a man should be to judge himself, so the judgement is really Joe's... unless he is a hypocrite.

On the way of these apologies where are they? We all seen and heard the insults? So where are the apologies? The only person's word we would appear to have is Joe's ffs so there is  good chance that they only happened in his own head.

muppet

He didn't say 'man', he said MON!

He was questioning Sean Kavanagh's Martin O'Neill-ness.
MWWSI 2017

oakleafgael

Quote from: red hander on May 27, 2015, 06:03:57 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 27, 2015, 05:47:41 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 27, 2015, 05:20:37 PM
Quote from: ck on May 27, 2015, 04:41:59 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 27, 2015, 04:33:30 PM
From the head of RTE Sport

QuoteI have spoken with Joe Brolly about the comments he made in relation to RTE Sport's GAA Correspondent and commentator Marty Morrissey on last weekend's Sunday Game Live broadcast. Joe is acutely aware that his ill-conceived attempt at humour was both inappropriate and extremely hurtful and had no place in any broadcast. Further, Joe is fully cognisant of the fact that similar comments in any future broadcast cannot and will not be tolerated.

Joe Brolly has spoken at length with and offered a heartfelt apology to Marty Morrissey which was graciously accepted.

All parties now consider this matter closed.

So RTE release a statement to cover their asses, meanwhile Joe laughs behind his hand. Bet Brolly wont be release a statement

joe is great at ridiculing in public and apologising in private. You may forget about him as a man.

His ego knows no bounds. The public apology was not even an apology it was an attempt to explain what the context of his statement was, he didn't express any regret or retract the statement.

Why apologise in private after publically ridiculing someone. What sort of man does that??

No man at all. I always thought it the ultimate irony his questioning of Big Sean's 'manfulness', this from a boy who wore the biggest pair of invisible wing mirrors ever when he was on a football pitch

Joe Brolly was and is many things, but the one thing he wasn't was a coward on the field. You mustn't have been watching too closely during the 90's when there was a lot more off the ball action taking place than there is in the current game.

DermyTDredi

If you were working on a big presentation with a colleague - presenting in front of 10 of the most important people in your business....and lets say you turned around to the 10 people and described your colleague in the same way as Brolly did...? would an apology be enough?
Brolly has continually offended people under the banner of humour since he was on TV and in fact in public....
In no particular order, On tv he has offended Fergal logan (almost 10 years ago now), at a Tyrone GAA function in 200/2/3 he was hugely disrespectful to the Harte family, again under the banner of comedy.
Since then he has slagged of Gooch, Paul Grimley, his brothers, Mickey Harte, Sean Cavanagh, Philip Jordan - he seems to enjoy getting stuck into the Tyrone ones...you know, the ones with 3 times as many all-irelands as himself...which makes me think that he is jealous and feels he is part of a derry team which seriously underachieved

I think he is a jealous and bitter wee man and as a result of the kidney donation (which as an aside was a bit mental in itself, but beyond any superlative of generosity) he is on serious medication....and simply needs help

red hander

Quote from: oakleafgael on May 28, 2015, 08:00:06 AM

QuoteI have spoken with Joe Brolly about the comments he made in relation to RTE Sport's GAA Correspondent and commentator Marty Morrissey on last weekend's Sunday Game Live broadcast. Joe is acutely aware that his ill-conceived attempt at humour was both inappropriate and extremely hurtful and had no place in any broadcast. Further, Joe is fully cognisant of the fact that similar comments in any future broadcast cannot and will not be tolerated.

Joe Brolly has spoken at length with and offered a heartfelt apology to Marty Morrissey which was graciously accepted.

So RTE release a statement to cover their asses, meanwhile Joe laughs behind his hand. Bet Brolly wont be release a statement

joe is great at ridiculing in public and apologising in private. You may forget about him as a man.

His ego knows no bounds. The public apology was not even an apology it was an attempt to explain what the context of his statement was, he didn't express any regret or retract the statement.

Why apologise in private after publically ridiculing someone. What sort of man does that??

No man at all. I always thought it the ultimate irony his questioning of Big Sean's 'manfulness', this from a boy who wore the biggest pair of invisible wing mirrors ever when he was on a football pitch

Joe Brolly was and is many things, but the one thing he wasn't was a coward on the field. You mustn't have been watching too closely during the 90's when there was a lot more off the ball action taking place than there is in the current game.

I was watching closely enough, and there's nothing wrong with my or many other Tyrone people's memories

Applesisapples

No he was an annoying wee bollocks who blew kisses at the opposition fans...not much has changed eh?
I still think what he said was funny and the hoo ha created by the on screen admonishment and the apology has created more column inches than if it had a been left as a joke. I still don't really see the difference between Joe and making fun of Prince Charles' ears. Then we have the oul elephant standing unmilked in the room...

JoG2

Quote from: red hander on May 28, 2015, 02:55:10 PM

I was watching closely enough, and there's nothing wrong with my or many other Tyrone people's memories

;D

110% not a coward on the pitch, far from it. Keep it up Tyrone people, a few of ye's talking poop in here wont rewrite history

Walter Cronc

He might have looked like Mr Bean when he was taking the hand out of Tyrone but he was as tough as hell.

BennyHarp

I seem to remember Brolly had a bit of a reputation during his playing career for being a bit windy and playing with the side mirrors on, but to be fair I don't think this was justified.
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: JoG2 on May 28, 2015, 04:06:44 PM

;D

110% not a coward on the pitch, far from it. Keep it up Tyrone people, a few of ye's talking poop in here wont rewrite history

Who said he was a coward?

As stated earlier wing mirrors are a total necessity in Derry club football with all the inbred ogres smashing around.

JoG2

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 28, 2015, 04:42:23 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 28, 2015, 04:06:44 PM

;D

Who said he was a coward?

As stated earlier wing mirrors are a total necessity in Derry club football with all the inbred ogres smashing around.

a child would have more wit