Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roney

JoG2

Quote from: cockahoop on May 26, 2015, 01:26:18 PM
i have to say in the past and on this thread i have backed Joe but in this case i certainly cant,he always makes great points but if he continues to say things like he did on sunday theres no way anyone could take him as a serious analyst and he will lose all credibility if he hasn't already,really out of order this time.

Completely out of order surely. No need for crass carryon like that on national TV. McGuinness was spot on

Esmarelda

Quote from: DermyTDredi on May 26, 2015, 03:06:15 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 26, 2015, 03:02:41 PM
Quote from: The Black Mamba on May 26, 2015, 02:00:28 PM
Spot on from Jim! http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=238068
I'd imagine Declan Bogue may have a view on the human cost and the damage that Jim speaks of.

Hardly the same thing - McGuinness used Declan Bogie / Cassidy issue to galvanise the team and the environment of Donegal and made it harder for anyone to risk going to the media - unfortunately at the expense of Cassidy. Id say the sales of that book shot up as a result of that incident so it was a win for Declan Bogie and I'd say he wasn't slagged off in the same manner at all.
They'd just won the all-ireland and he felt the need to exclude a journalist. In fact, had Bogue not left the press conference voluntarily we can only assume that Jim would've refused to continue.
Quote from: roney on May 26, 2015, 03:11:36 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 26, 2015, 03:02:41 PM
Quote from: The Black Mamba on May 26, 2015, 02:00:28 PM
Spot on from Jim! http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=238068
I'd imagine Declan Bogue may have a view on the human cost and the damage that Jim speaks of.

He does it seems

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/joe-brollys-cruel-jibe-that-was-ugly-31252402.html

Much the same as Jim's as it turns out!
In respect of Jim's hypocrisy I meant.

J70

How is it hypocrisy?

I don't think McGuinness handled that post AI press conference very well, but he plainly felt that Bogue's book misrepresented his work as a manager.

This issue is about a unnecessary personal insult of a man who wasn't even there to get a cheap laugh.

Apples and oranges.

And besides,  McGuinness is absolutely correct about the Sunday Game analysis.  There's endless discussion of it on this very board,  and has been for years.

J70

Bogue raises a very valid point about Brolly lamenting how personal sledging is getting and then turning around same day and doing THAT!

Now THAT is hypocrisy!

Esmarelda

Quote from: J70 on May 26, 2015, 03:57:06 PM
How is it hypocrisy?

I don't think McGuinness handled that post AI press conference very well, but he plainly felt that Bogue's book misrepresented his work as a manager.

This issue is about a unnecessary personal insult of a man who wasn't even there to get a cheap laugh.

Apples and oranges.

And besides,  McGuinness is absolutely correct about the Sunday Game analysis.  There's endless discussion of it on this very board,  and has been for years.
Apples and oranges perhaps, but I think it's a bit much McGuinness writing an article telling people about the human cost of a public act by a person in the spotlight when he effectively excluded a journalist from a press conference because of personal rift.

omaghjoe

I agree with very little JMG says or does but fully agree with him here. The Declan Bogue incident displays nothing only vindictiveness on his part. But this isnt a JMG issue its a Joe Brolly issue

Brolly was totally out of order as he has been on so many occasions. Not sure he should get the boot for this in particular as he apologised, but he has a list of indiscretions as long as your arm.

However you have to do a lot to get the boot from RTE. Didnt Dunphy go on air tanked once?

omaghjoe

On a side not Esmerelda what's the deal with the name?

Weirdly enough I am reading a book with a character of that name at the mo

Esmarelda

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 26, 2015, 04:43:19 PM
On a side not Esmerelda what's the deal with the name?

Weirdly enough I am reading a book with a character of that name at the mo
Are you flirting with me? ;) :-*

J70

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 26, 2015, 04:04:52 PM
How is it hypocrisy?

Apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges perhaps, but I think it's a bit much McGuinness writing an article telling people about the human cost of a public act by a person in the spotlight when he effectively excluded a journalist from a press conference because of personal rift.

It depends on your perspective though, doesn't it. In one case there is a defense, in the other there is none.

In McGuinness' telling, Bogue had mispresented and lied in his book about stuff that had gone on in the Donegal set-up. For example, to use a very topical example, the sledging issue (now I don't know if this is one of the things he was upset about, but I'm guessing it was). Cassidy tells the story about McElhinney showing him a Brian Dawkins video. Cassidy, coming from the position that the Donegal lads are too nice and had in recent years put up with too much shite on the pitch, discusses it with other players, who go to McGuinness. The book never suggests that McGuinness did anything with the video or adopted sledging as part of his training and coaching, but the suspicion is now out there that he did (see, for example, Omagh Joe on the other thread). Now if McGuinness did not in fact endorse sledging or encourage his players to get involved in it (and was genuinely pissed off about other allegations), its pretty easy to see why he would feel justifiably upset and would, petty or not, want to make a point.

In Brolly's case, there can be no such perceived justification for his abuse of Morrisey.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 26, 2015, 04:30:01 PM
I agree with very little JMG says or does but fully agree with him here. The Declan Bogue incident displays nothing only vindictiveness on his part. But this isnt a JMG issue its a Joe Brolly issue

Brolly was totally out of order as he has been on so many occasions. Not sure he should get the boot for this in particular as he apologised, but he has a list of indiscretions as long as your arm.

However you have to do a lot to get the boot from RTE. Didnt Dunphy go on air tanked once?

With Brolly, there is a massive ego at work and like all egos of that size, humility can be a difficult concept. I think it is generous in the extreme to say that Brolly apologised - Lyster basically put the words in his mouth. As I've said elsewhere though, Lyster slapping him down with the 'out of order' remark was worth tuning in for on its own. 

Having said that, I enjoy both Brolly and O'Rourke and will be watching them next time out. 

Esmarelda

Quote from: J70 on May 26, 2015, 05:37:36 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 26, 2015, 04:04:52 PM
How is it hypocrisy?

Apples and oranges.

It depends on your perspective though, doesn't it. In one case there is a defense, in the other there is none.

In McGuinness' telling, Bogue had mispresented and lied in his book about stuff that had gone on in the Donegal set-up. For example, to use a very topical example, the sledging issue (now I don't know if this is one of the things he was upset about, but I'm guessing it was). Cassidy tells the story about McElhinney showing him a Brian Dawkins video. Cassidy, coming from the position that the Donegal lads are too nice and had in recent years put up with too much shite on the pitch, discusses it with other players, who go to McGuinness. The book never suggests that McGuinness did anything with the video or adopted sledging as part of his training and coaching, but the suspicion is now out there that he did (see, for example, Omagh Joe on the other thread). Now if McGuinness did not in fact endorse sledging or encourage his players to get involved in it (and was genuinely pissed off about other allegations), its pretty easy to see why he would feel justifiably upset and would, petty or not, want to make a point.

In Brolly's case, there can be no such perceived justification for his abuse of Morrisey.
I'm not comparing one man's actions with another's as such. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, McGuinness abused his power that day by basically saying there'd be no press conference unless he got his way. I'm therefore unlikely to take his criticism of Brolly's behaviour too seriously.

Jinxy

I don't see how the two issues are related to be honest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ck

Lads, Jimmy McGuinness and Joe Brolly have plenty in common, it's called EGO!
McGuinness has employed a PR agency in Glasgow and Dublin to spin all this stuff (that the press lap up) like him doing his coaching badges and taking a coaching role at Celtic and speaking to Rugby teams. A relation of mine has just finished a sabbatical at Celtic and he said McGuinness was rarely near the senior set up and the coaches didn't even know who he was. When he's interviewed he spins a totally different line. It's called self promotion.

Brolly is no different. When he comes off with another outrageous statement - lets face it most of the country tune in to hear them - then it's absolutely self indulgent/self promotion. He loves being talked about. His Marty Morrisey line was rehearsed to death I'd say. Tune in for the next episode... and we know we all will! (RTE know that too)

The moral of the story is that these guys thrive on publicity and making people think a certain way. McGuinness is trying to etch out a career in professional sport and  a key to that is to appear to be in demand and Brolly is trying to remain relevant to a TV audience.

DennistheMenace

I don't know how this has turned into ones scrutinsing McGuinness career choice or his character. There is no similarity between his actions with Bogue and Brolly's personal abuse of MM. RTE will never sack Joe, as someone alluded to Dunphy was blocked on air ffs and he is still there. RTE thrive on controversy, they don't have a real competitor to talk about and the viewers lap it up tuning in next to see what line Brolly has rehearsed during the week.