Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

What do yis think of Brollys proposed rule change as reported in todays Sunday Independent? Seems to be worth a try to me, I'd love to see football open up a bit.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/one-simple-rule-can-rescue-gaelic-football-from-the-clonoe-conundrum-31209502.html?utm_source=indoshare&utm_medium=socialoremail&utm_campaign=indoshare

Zulu

I think it's a very good suggestion, however, he didn't address the issue of a keeper who can't kick it 45m or when weather conditions dictate that it's impossible for anyone to kick it 45m. Any solution has to be robust enough to survive all eventualities and I'm not sure this one does. Although I'd be very slow to agree to any rule changes I think we do need to consider something like this that can change the direction football is going.

Itchy

Kick out could be moved further out I suppose. I like it as its simple

fearglasmor

Quote from: Zulu on May 10, 2015, 11:49:46 AM
I think it's a very good suggestion, however, he didn't address the issue of a keeper who can't kick it 45m or when weather conditions dictate that it's impossible for anyone to kick it 45m. Any solution has to be robust enough to survive all eventualities and I'm not sure this one does. Although I'd be very slow to agree to any rule changes I think we do need to consider something like this that can change the direction football is going.
I remember one time giving away a 45 (50) direct from a kickout when playing against a gale of a wind.
The principle is sound but like you say rules have to be robust.

6th sam

I think with some minor tweaking Brolly's idea is well worth a rattle. I think all kickouts should be taken anywhere between the 13 and 20m line and the tee must be used, and the ball should alight outside the 45m line.In the very unlikely event of the ball not travelling 25m due to high winds referees can use their discretion to waive the 45m rule if a genuine attempt has been made to kick long, and allow play to continue if the ball doesn't travel outside the 45m line, as long as keeper isn't clearly chancing their arm with a short kickout. Such extreme weather conditions would thankfully be very rare and therefore shouldn't be allowed to derail such a sensible and workable proposal. The compulsory tee and the option of kicking from anywhere between the 13m & 20m is important as the current insistence on kicking every kickout centrally from the 13m line causes excessive pitch wear in this high traffic area...this is a genuine problem for groundsmen throughout the country. The extra 7m again encourages midfield catching further up the pitch. As an aside I think going to 13 a side is inevitable not only for opening up play but more importantly due to demographic changes and recent rule changes which is making it harder for smaller clubs to field 15 a side particularly at underage level. These very workable and simple changes, will improve the spectacle and player enjoyment, reduce injury and save money for all clubs and counties!

regal

Itchy

Isn't there effectively the same rule in rugby from a kick off? This could be made work.

BennyHarp

So in an Under 14 Feile game, a team played 3 men behind the ball. Joe's solution? Make the keeper kick the ball 45m from the kick out. Nice idea Joe, does he keep re-kicking it until he makes the 45m? Other than that, it's another of Joe's attempt to discredit a successful Tyrone team.
That was never a square ball!!

Throw ball

You Tyrone boys take offence easily. If I am not mistaken Clonoe are managed by former Derry manager Damien Cassidy.

As for his suggestion. Could it not only be introduced for senior football. This would stop problems for underage players not being able to take it far enough. There could also be a contingency that if a genuine attempt is made to kick it 45 metres on a day of adverse weather it is deemed to have travelled that distance.

Itchy

If it'd introduced at senior only it was would be fairly pointless and shortsighted to develop blanket defence tactics in underage wouldn't it.

Zulu

Yep, this could be rule for senior only, or at least from minor upwards. U14's and below are allowed to take kickouts from their hands so underage doesn't mimic the adult game in every way anyway. It certainly worth looking at and as some posters pointed out if the conditions make it very difficult to kick it 45m then a reasonable attempt to do so would be acceptable. Again, as suggested, bringing the kickouts to the 20m if necessary would probably mean every keeper could be expected to kick the ball beyond the 45. The only issue left would be what happens if a keeper slips or connects poorly and it doesn't go 45m, should a team get a free or a ball be thrown in because a keeper makes a mistake? If so, they'd be the only player in any sport getting punished by the rule book for making a legal, honest mistake.

Itchy

All the negatives are small and can be sorted out. Question is whether the counties will have the balls to try it?

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 10, 2015, 12:37:40 PM
So in an Under 14 Feile game, a team played 3 men behind the ball. Joe's solution? Make the keeper kick the ball 45m from the kick out. Nice idea Joe, does he keep re-kicking it until he makes the 45m? Other than that, it's another of Joe's attempt to discredit a successful Tyrone team.

You guys don't want any changes because it will render you redundant as a footballing side

stringbean

While I think something needs done I doubt this is the solution - this will make the role of midfielders so pivotal to the game - if you have one overly dominant midfielder who will have a huge influence on the game and will be very difficult for the opposition to combat. Take for an example a inter-county midfielder playing in junior game - he'll absolutely rule the roost - small quick teams will be thing of the past as you need a good big midfield.

It also ruins the art of winning the breaking ball - a skill of the game in itself, some great half forwards have a real knack for this

Zulu

Not sure why it would ruin the battle for breaking ball and even then a tweak where you can move into the middle zone once the keeper has kicked it would solve that for sure. Don't see why small pacy teams would be necessarily affected either as you'd have a lot of space for smaller midfielders to break into space for an angled directed kick to the wings. As Itchy said, the issues with it are relatively minor and as with most things you can't be sure of it's effectiveness until it's tried.