Mayo v Donegal, Elverys McHale Park, Aug 03, 6pm

Started by highorlow, July 22, 2019, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Donegal's shot selection went to absolute pot once they dragged themselves back into the game. They were taking wild shots, shots on the turn and low percentage shots from all angles and distances. Not just their younger players either. Some of their more experienced heads too. Murphy missed two fairly straightforward frees in the middle of all that.

Mayo were wobbling a bit at that stage but Donegal just couldn't muster the couple scores to draw level with them.

Main Street

Hard luck on Donegal to come a cropper at this stage after an excellent championship campaign and they had the toughest draw in the group.

SouthDublinBro

Mayo were very impressive at winning the breaking balls around the midfield. If they had better forwards they could have embarrassed Donegal completely who were there for the taking.

J70

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 03, 2019, 07:53:16 PM
Donegal's shot selection went to absolute pot once they dragged themselves back into the game. They were taking wild shots, shots on the turn and low percentage shots from all angles and distances. Not just their younger players either. Some of their more experienced heads too. Murphy missed two fairly straightforward frees in the middle of all that.

Mayo were wobbling a bit at that stage but Donegal just couldn't muster the couple scores to draw level with them.

Yes, we should have drawn level for sure. Plenty of chances to do so.

That said, Mayo should have been home and hosed first half.

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

tonto1888

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 03, 2019, 07:51:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 03, 2019, 07:49:24 PM
Donegal are no dirtier than other teams.

Maybe not in ulster. Compared to the other provinces they are pure dirt.

Not true. Let's be honest, Dublin know how to mix it and are as dirty as anyone when they need to be

Cunny Funt

Well i did say that match was nicely set up for Mayo to win and win they did by a bit to spare. Mayo made underdogs (Div 1 League champions in April lets not forget) was enough motivation to prove the doubters wrong (hello larryin,CK among others). Deja vu for Donegal, Ulster title won talked up after it and another round 3 quarter final defeat in a game they were expected to the win. The Rochford influence what influence?

BennyCake

Right Mayo, you better go on and win this feckin' thing now.

larryin89

Ya can't help but be very proud , where do they get the resilience from , it's surreal .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

WhoDat

I cant help but admire that Mayo team if I'm honest. They're always able to find something.

David McKeown

Well deserved win for Mayo from what I've seen of Donegal over the last two years they are an excellent side when everyone is fit but whether it's their style of play or their training methods they seem to be a pale imitation of themselves come the Super 8's.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BennyCake on August 03, 2019, 08:20:33 PM
Right Mayo, you better go on and win this feckin' thing now.

Mayo would remind you of Offaly 1982 history to repeat itself?

Donegal were rubbish on evening when they were meant to prove themselves as top 5 team. Most of their youngish players looked lost when Murphy had probably his worse game all summer. They now depart this championship with more questions than answers.

highorlow

QuoteNo one was saying Donegal would beat Dublin. No one is saying ANYONE would beat Dublin.

Joe Brolly said it, but your correct he is a no one! ;D
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

Th'oul dogs fir the hard road.
Bad day at the office for Donegal.
They weren't able for the Rhus intensity and as said above when they got to within 2 points they lost the plot altogether with silly shot selection.
Between both sides were there as many wides as scores?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo4Sam

Great win. We should have been further ahead in the first half and Donegal should have got closer in the second, although we had 3/4 good goal chances we squandered
The very pleasing thing is that every time Donegal got close we went and got a score.
DOC is a massive loss, looked like a bad knee injury

Great win, I said it to a few Donegal lads that they were very confident for a team which had lost the last four meaningful matches. Mayo were still division 1 champions

I must say it was one of the best atmospheres I've seen in Castlebar, Donegal and Mayo people are very alike and always get on well in my experience.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me