All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 16, 2023, 01:01:42 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 12:37:02 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 15, 2023, 11:37:20 PM
Kerry with 64 clubs could easily be 4 league of 16,Senior, Intermediate, Junior A and Junior B. best inter is 17th best junior is 33rd team.

No it couldn't because you are forgetting about Divisional teams which is the lifeblood of the Kerry championship structure. I (and most others) would resist any attempt to undermine this. As I said previously however, I would be in favour of increasing the number of club teams in Senior championship from 8 to 10 possibly. That would have an effect. Croke Park are blocking this is my understanding.

To those going on about some sort of Senior and Senior A or B structure - I think that's nonsense. Either you are Senior and you have a chance of competing for the top prize or you don't and you're Intermediate.

This leads me to Cork, where they have not only Senior A, but Intermediate A. Senior - Senior A - Premier Intermediate - Intermediate A - Junior A. Which means that the winners of the 1st grade, 3rd grade and 5th grade represent Cork in Munster competitions. Which is silly in my view. If Cork renamed their competitions and 1st to 3rd grade winners were in Munster Kerry teams would be getting test far more and the number of Kerry teams winning All Irelands at Junior and Intermediate would drop immediately.

The simple solution is to have a Senior B Championship with 8 teams and let the players from those teams play with the Divisional teams in the Kerry Championship. This would set the balance right and not affect anybody.

Agreed, easily the fairest way of sorting this mess out.

Didn't bother watching the games yesterday as knew what would happen, its a complete farce.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 09:31:00 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 09:14:37 AM
Kerry can setup internally as best they want for their club championships but it's absolutely disadvantaging clubs from other counties at this stage, the evidence is clear as day, in the final nearly every year and it's only because of the likes of Oughterard springing a huge upset against a Templenoe team that was sprinkled with Kerry county players that it's not every year.

I probably wouldn't be as bothered about it only I've seen my own home place win the Junior AI and how incredible that was for the players and the local people. Huge joy and priceless memories that will last a lifetime for everyone there on the day. Will anyone from our parish present in CP for that final live to see the likes again? Doubtful, this is one shot stuff for most clubs that get to the latter stages, it's hard to take that a team can slog through on a great run to come up against another club who shouldn't have been let into the competition in the first place, and a team from the number one football county in the country no less who would successful enough in the competitions even without such an artificial advantage.

Up to CP to grow a set of balls and ensure that there is a level playing field at this point, they were happy enough to dictate a hard limit to counties who didn't want to cut their number of Senior club teams and shouldn't care about hurting Kerry sensibilities.

The irony here of course being that the Croke Park "16 teams only in Senior" rule is stopping reform of Kerry Senior Championship and thereby holding up an automatic rebalancing of playing field. This is what I've been told at any rate. Kerry want (correctly) to maintain the divisional teams in Senior Championship but willing to restructure and bring more clubs up to Senior - 10 was proposed, along with 8 divisional teams playing off in a round robin to get to 2 teams entering the championship proper with 10 clubs, so 12 teams in effect. But the narrow minded approach in Croke Park was that they weren't allowed to do that.

They told the same thing to Cork I believe, which has almost 250 clubs. That's just daft.

Also, anybody talking about Senior B or playing divisional teams in a separate competition just doesn't get it. That won't be happening.

But it is already happening.. You can't just keep cooking the books to win competitions either though, so it's a bit of a hollow victory when everything is stacked in your favour no?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 09:35:30 AM
Fine, don't let Kerry compete in the club inter championship then, this can't be tail wagging the dog stuff.
Absolutely. Why cant they run it that the top 16 teams play senior championship. Twke the best 8 from that and play their divisional comp. Anyone outside the top 16 is playing intermediate, then outside the 32 should be junior. Fossa I imagine without the 2 lads would be well outside the 32 in Kerry so probably struggle most of the year.

Rossfan

I think th'oul GAA in Kerry has git on fine since thec1890s without having Nordies telling them what to do ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 16, 2023, 10:09:03 AM
Fine, don't let Kerry compete in the club inter championship then, this can't be tail wagging the dog stuff.
Absolutely. Why cant they run it that the top 16 teams play senior championship. Twke the best 8 from that and play their divisional comp. Anyone outside the top 16 is playing intermediate, then outside the 32 should be junior. Fossa I imagine without the 2 lads would be well outside the 32 in Kerry so probably struggle most of the year.
Sure where's the advantage in that.
Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2023, 10:20:45 AM
I think th'oul GAA in Kerry has git on fine since thec1890s without having Nordies telling them what to do ;D
Imagine Tyrone, Derry, Donegal etc sending their 9th ranked clubs to play intermediate... Ulster would clean up at that level

Armagh18

aye sending Senior teams to play intermediate championships and cleaning up sure it's great craic.

AustinPowers

Quote from: general_lee on January 16, 2023, 10:22:24 AM
Sure where's the advantage in that.
Imagine Tyrone, Derry, Donegal etc sending their 9th ranked clubs to play intermediate... Ulster would clean up at that level

Ulster teams just aren't cute enough  when trying to out-Fox those wily  hoors in Kerry  ;D  It's no wonder their teams  are so successful

I  remember  Des Cahill on up for the match interviewing  one of the Kerry players  from the Polo grounds final.  Des sort of forgot himself and says to  yer man about the team  staying on in NY to celebrate.  The Kerry man never  corrected Des.  I thought, it's no wonder Kerry have so many All Ireland's,  when they're claiming All Ireland's they didn't even win  ;D

ardtole

Kerry have a novice grade championship. In my opinion,  the winners of this should represent Kerry in the Munster junior championship. This competition could be regraded to the Junior championship.

The current sfc could stay the same. The current Intermediate championship regraded to senior b, and no progression to Munster competitions. The current Junior championship regraded to Intermediate and the winners of that represent Kerry in Munster Intermediate  competitions.

An Fhairche Abu

They have more internal football competitions to beat the f**king band, a separate Senior club championship already, different North Board, South Board etc. club championships.
It's nonsense that they can't find some way of sending their 17th ranked team but sure it's all CP's fault and everyone else should change to the Kerry format is what I've heard before.
They don't give a f**k, will continue to pat themselves on the back for cleaning up in the lower club competitions. We had to hear enough whinging about funding when the Dubs were doing wreck in the 2010's but an actual complete competitive advantage in these club competitions for another big county doesn't seem as problematic.

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 10:51:21 AM
They have more internal football competitions to beat the f**king band, a separate Senior club championship already, different North Board, South Board etc. club championships.
It's nonsense that they can't find some way of sending their 17th ranked team but sure it's all CP's fault and everyone else should change to the Kerry format is what I've heard before.
They don't give a f**k, will continue to pat themselves on the back for cleaning up in the lower club competitions. We had to hear enough whinging about funding when the Dubs were doing wreck in the 2010's but an actual complete competitive advantage in these club competitions for another big county doesn't seem as problematic.
Yep agreed. Thats why I don't overly rate intermediate/provincial club championships as a metric of success for a county due to the inconsistent gradings. Senior is the only one you can compare. 

Redhand Santa

Quote from: ardtole on January 16, 2023, 10:51:05 AM
Kerry have a novice grade championship. In my opinion,  the winners of this should represent Kerry in the Munster junior championship. This competition could be regraded to the Junior championship.

The current sfc could stay the same. The current Intermediate championship regraded to senior b, and no progression to Munster competitions. The current Junior championship regraded to Intermediate and the winners of that represent Kerry in Munster Intermediate  competitions.

If Kerry want to keep their current structures which they should be allowed to then the above is exactly what should happen. Would leave it a much more level playing field than what is currently happening.

Itchy

Any thoughts on kicking Kerry out of the intermediate and junior championships. The deck is stacked in their favour the way they run their championships down there and the record books show that. The 9th best club team in the county is in intermediate for example.

Rossfan

Maybe ban Ulster teams.... save us listening to whinging and whining ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2023, 09:55:08 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 09:31:00 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 09:14:37 AM
Kerry can setup internally as best they want for their club championships but it's absolutely disadvantaging clubs from other counties at this stage, the evidence is clear as day, in the final nearly every year and it's only because of the likes of Oughterard springing a huge upset against a Templenoe team that was sprinkled with Kerry county players that it's not every year.

I probably wouldn't be as bothered about it only I've seen my own home place win the Junior AI and how incredible that was for the players and the local people. Huge joy and priceless memories that will last a lifetime for everyone there on the day. Will anyone from our parish present in CP for that final live to see the likes again? Doubtful, this is one shot stuff for most clubs that get to the latter stages, it's hard to take that a team can slog through on a great run to come up against another club who shouldn't have been let into the competition in the first place, and a team from the number one football county in the country no less who would successful enough in the competitions even without such an artificial advantage.

Up to CP to grow a set of balls and ensure that there is a level playing field at this point, they were happy enough to dictate a hard limit to counties who didn't want to cut their number of Senior club teams and shouldn't care about hurting Kerry sensibilities.

The irony here of course being that the Croke Park "16 teams only in Senior" rule is stopping reform of Kerry Senior Championship and thereby holding up an automatic rebalancing of playing field. This is what I've been told at any rate. Kerry want (correctly) to maintain the divisional teams in Senior Championship but willing to restructure and bring more clubs up to Senior - 10 was proposed, along with 8 divisional teams playing off in a round robin to get to 2 teams entering the championship proper with 10 clubs, so 12 teams in effect. But the narrow minded approach in Croke Park was that they weren't allowed to do that.

They told the same thing to Cork I believe, which has almost 250 clubs. That's just daft.

Also, anybody talking about Senior B or playing divisional teams in a separate competition just doesn't get it. That won't be happening.

But it is already happening.. You can't just keep cooking the books to win competitions either though, so it's a bit of a hollow victory when everything is stacked in your favour no?

What is already happening? And no, I doubt any club that wins an All Ireland feels hollow either!

"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2023, 11:37:56 AM
Maybe ban Ulster teams.... save us listening to whinging and whining ;)

You would have a boring existence if you couldn't get triggered by good old Ulster moaning.