GAA presidential election 2020

Started by Eamonnca1, February 26, 2020, 02:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 17, 2023, 10:56:50 AM
The thing I don't like about him is that he is absolutely desperate to become president, and has been actively positioning himself for almost 2 decades to get there.

And not based on any grand vision or great policy initiatives but just the actual attainment of the post in itself.

People say he's a great GAA man and does all sorts around the club etc but for me that's all part of his man of the people strategy and its all carefully choreographed and publicised. 

As I said on another thread the people who most want to become policemen and politicians are the last people who should be in any position of power over anyone.
Don't see how that makes him particularly unique to the majority of previous Presidents really. They all made their way up the greasy administrative pole and then the ball came loose for them.

That he has won it without being county or provincial chairman previously is rather impressive in that respect.

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on February 17, 2023, 10:09:18 PM
I might have entirely made this up but I think the GAA covers the salary the President was on (to a point probably).
Anyway, well done and I'm sure he will turn up to stuff punctually and hand out the cups effortlessly.
I hope he can get captains names right!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mrdeeds

Brought in the forward mark so already the worst president ever.

Targetman

Was he responsible for that nonsense?

imtommygunn

I am not sure he was.

I think discipline and appeals may be his thing.

Rossfan

Cómhgáirdeas a Iarlaith agus ádh mór sa phost.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 17, 2023, 10:50:09 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on February 17, 2023, 10:56:50 AM
The thing I don't like about him is that he is absolutely desperate to become president, and has been actively positioning himself for almost 2 decades to get there.

And not based on any grand vision or great policy initiatives but just the actual attainment of the post in itself.

People say he's a great GAA man and does all sorts around the club etc but for me that's all part of his man of the people strategy and its all carefully choreographed and publicised. 

As I said on another thread the people who most want to become policemen and politicians are the last people who should be in any position of power over anyone.
Don't see how that makes him particularly unique to the majority of previous Presidents really. They all made their way up the greasy administrative pole and then the ball came loose for them.

That he has won it without being county or provincial chairman previously is rather impressive in that respect.
He was (presumably behind his back) referred to as An Uachtarain by other teachers in the school for years. I dont believe half of the outreach stuff is genuine but will be interesting to see if he touches it during his tenure or if it was pure politicking.

Having said that I think he'll be high profile and will get something done unlike the John Doe currently in charge.

Captain Scarlet

I'll ask what real power does the President have? Like it all has to go through various committees and there are lads who have serious power on those who won't be for moving.

He can make big statements and have big ideas but needs everyone on board. Like the time Michael D got in first. That year there were lost of candidates making big statements but who didn't seem to understand the role or it's limitations.

If there was one thing he did sort it would be the appeals and so on. You have lads who will involved who are meant to be upholding rules, but as soon as their own county is involved they vanish.

Good luck to him and I do think he might push things out there a bit. He is also a very good communicator in fairness.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Captain Obvious

See this afternoon they have kept the U17 and U20 Inter County grades in place when it appeared U18 and U21 might make a return.

Wildweasel74

Well u can't beat Stupid,  it made alot of sense to return to these grades

marty34

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 18, 2023, 01:43:48 PM
Well u can't beat Stupid,  it made alot of sense to return to these grades

Differing age grades in various counties and U17 at intercounty level. 

Bit of a mess.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on February 18, 2023, 10:11:37 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 17, 2023, 11:26:40 PM
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/jarlath-burns-gaa-can-reach-out-to-protestants/31563403.html

I wonder if he will be tested on this from certain quarters.
Is this all about increasing the playing pool for Armagh ?
Think so. I know a few lads who'd be perfect build for fullback/midfield for us but they aren't GAA inclined.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on February 18, 2023, 12:27:39 PM
I'll ask what real power does the President have? Like it all has to go through various committees and there are lads who have serious power on those who won't be for moving.

He can make big statements and have big ideas but needs everyone on board. Like the time Michael D got in first. That year there were lost of candidates making big statements but who didn't seem to understand the role or it's limitations.

If there was one thing he did sort it would be the appeals and so on. You have lads who will involved who are meant to be upholding rules, but as soon as their own county is involved they vanish.

Good luck to him and I do think he might push things out there a bit. He is also a very good communicator in fairness.
The irony of that being that the man himself clearly doesn't understand the limitations of the role either, given he's spent his entire presidency carrying on like he's still standing at the podium in a Labour party conference.