Partition & Irish Sport

Started by Feckitt, March 15, 2012, 02:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

With Irish Cricket & Hockey being on the news the last few days I was just wondering is Soccer the only major sport where Ireland is partitioned.

My list is open to correction and addition.

All- Ireland

GAA
Rugby
Cricket
Hockey
Horse Racing
Boxing

Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland

Soccer
Snooker ( There used to be a World Cup, not sure if it still exists)

Not entirely sure about Golf, I think it is based on an All Ireland model, but all the NI lads choose the wee NI fleg beside their names.

Gabriel_Hurl

McIlroy and McDowell have represented Ireland at the last 2 golf World Cups

Feckitt

Ok, thanks GH

My list is open to correction and addition.

All- Ireland

GAA
Rugby
Cricket
Hockey
Horse Racing
Boxing
Golf

Soccer
Snooker ( There used to be a World Cup, not sure if it still exists)

AQMP

Though the representative history of cycling is extremely complex, it is now generally administered on an AI basis.

Hardy

Athletics is also all-Ireland.

Hardy

Athletics Ireland covers the whole country, I thought. Athletics NI must be a provisional or continuity set-up or something.

Rossfan

Darts is split alomg partitionist lines and any "new" sports like netball for instance also split.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rois

thejuice

American Football is All-Ireland

www.americanfootball.ie
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Feckitt

All- Ireland

GAA
Rugby
Cricket
Hockey
Horse Racing
Boxing
Golf
American Football
Basketball
Show-Jumping
Beach Volleyball

Soccer
Snooker ( There used to be a World Cup, not sure if it still exists)(Not really a sport)
Darts (Not really a sport either)
Netball
Athletics?

AQMP

In athletics, in terms of the Olympics, World Championships etc, there is a team representing "GB & NI" and one representing "Ireland".  Athletes born in the North can opt to represent either though medallists representing Ireland will have the tricolour flown and the National Anthem played should they win.

Though cycling is organised on a 32 county basis, cyclists in the North can be members of the NICF which is an "autonomous" organisation within Cycling Ireland.  As such they can represent GB (like Wendy Hooverbag).

Feckitt

AQMP, if there is no Northern Ireland team, then it must be an ALL-Ireland sport, with wannabees able to play for Britain if they want to.

Still Soccer is the only sport worth talking about were Northern Ireland actually have a team !

ziggysego

Table Tennis is All-Ireland, not sure about Whiff-Whaff though.
Testing Accessibility

AQMP

Quote from: Feckitt on March 15, 2012, 04:39:12 PM
AQMP, if there is no Northern Ireland team, then it must be an ALL-Ireland sport, with wannabees able to play for Britain if they want to.

Still Soccer is the only sport worth talking about were Northern Ireland actually have a team !

The main exception to the above is the Commonwealth Games where athletes, cyclists, bowlers, boxers, etc represent NI, sometimes even ones born outside the Commonwealth like wee Barry ;)