Is there anything that people in RoI won't take to court?

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 27, 2017, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

When I was a teenager there was a woman in the parish who had 3 compensation cases to her name. Another woman known to us was a candidate for FF and had been caught dumping her rubbish on iarnrod Eireann property. It used to be explained away as a lack of respect for authority. Does this come up much in Northern Ireland ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tony Baloney

There is a healthy claim culture up here too seafoid. I would say there is a good percentage of car crashes resulting in personal injury claims. My missus was hounded by a solicitor years ago as she had no interest in a personal injury claims. Multiple phone calls, letters etc. basically telling her it was easy money. If a bus crashed in West Belfast you'd have more claims than the capacity of the bus.

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 20, 2017, 10:46:56 AM
There is a healthy claim culture up here too seafoid. I would say there is a good percentage of car crashes resulting in personal injury claims. My missus was hounded by a solicitor years ago as she had no interest in a personal injury claims. Multiple phone calls, letters etc. basically telling her it was easy money. If a bus crashed in West Belfast you'd have more claims than the capacity of the bus.

I know other countries have a different view of authority but also a different history. I don't think Irish people feel like citizens. generally. The state is something to get money out of. People don't necessarily believe in their rights.
Insurance is very vulnerable to this because it is about sharing risk on the assumption that people are honest.
I always notice on the buses from the Airport in Dublin that you have to have exact change. In other countries people are trusted to buy tickets.....

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: seafoid on May 20, 2017, 11:15:52 AM

I know other countries have a different view of authority but also a different history. I don't think Irish people feel like citizens. generally. The state is something to get money out of. People don't necessarily believe in their rights.
Insurance is very vulnerable to this because it is about sharing risk on the assumption that people are honest.
I always notice on the buses from the Airport in Dublin that you have to have exact change. In other countries people are trusted to buy tickets.....

Nail on head. Citizenship is seen as political on both sides of the border and not a personal duty with responsibilities as well as privileges. In North it can appear to be a duty to drain the governing state hence the core of the RHI scandal for both Arlene and some of the beneficiaries and not corruption as put about by political adversaries.

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 20, 2017, 12:08:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 20, 2017, 11:15:52 AM

Nail on head. Citizenship is seen as political on both sides of the border and not a personal duty with responsibilities as well as privileges. In North it can appear to be a duty to drain the governing state hence the core of the RHI scandal for both Arlene and some of the beneficiaries and not corruption as put about by political adversaries.
In the South politicians run "clinics" where politicians can sort things out for them to which they are entitled anyway as citizens

for example
https://www.fiannafail.ie/people/niall-collins/
Every Monday
Pallasgreen – O'Dwyer's Bar 9.30pm
Bruff – Jack Clancy's Bar 8.15pm
Kilmallock – Flanagan's Bar 7.30pm
Newcastle West – Desmond Complex 6.30pm
Patrickswell – Cuchulainn Bar 2pm
Abbeyfeale – Michael Lane & Co. Solicitors 11am

Avondhu star

How many times have we seen Ministers lose their  seat while the local gombeen TD or populist leftie get elected safely in the knowledge that they will never be in government
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 06, 2018, 09:11:56 AM
Coalisland family brings its claim for €420,000 to an RoI court

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/tyrone-familys-420000-injury-claim-dismissed-there-was-no-accident-36869586.html

Ye see this sort of shit annoys me in two aspects. Any dodgy claim should be exposed. This work is my bread and butter and we are fastidious in we don't out dodgy cases. The thing is people do lie and we need to maintain the integrity of the system so that proper cases do not get lost as a result.

However, this bulls hit journalism stating that this was a €420k case annoys the hell out of me. If this case was legitimate it was correctly issued in the circuit court. The range in the circuit court is €15-60k so this case could have been described just as easily as a €105k case for 7 people and not a €420k case. There is a concerted and government backed agenda to attack the 'claim' culture that people perceive as being out there. The reality is that the majority of the cases that are in the system are 100% legitimate. There is a reason why the amount of car accidents have increased in the last 0-15 years. The population has increased significantly over the last 20 years or so with births and immigrants in the country which has meant that there are more cars on the road. It is logical that there will be more accidents. Also there are more building sites in ten go and there are more health and safety regulations so there will be more potential work accidents.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 06, 2018, 09:47:30 AM

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/tyrone-familys-420000-injury-claim-dismissed-there-was-no-accident-36869586.html

Ye see this sort of shit annoys me in two aspects. Any dodgy claim should be exposed. This work is my bread and butter and we are fastidious in we don't out dodgy cases. The thing is people do lie and we need to maintain the integrity of the system so that proper cases do not get lost as a result.

However, this bulls hit journalism stating that this was a €420k case annoys the hell out of me. If this case was legitimate it was correctly issued in the circuit court. The range in the circuit court is €15-60k so this case could have been described just as easily as a €105k case for 7 people and not a €420k case. There is a concerted and government backed agenda to attack the 'claim' culture that people perceive as being out there. The reality is that the majority of the cases that are in the system are 100% legitimate. There is a reason why the amount of car accidents have increased in the last 0-15 years. The population has increased significantly over the last 20 years or so with births and immigrants in the country which has meant that there are more cars on the road. It is logical that there will be more accidents. Also there are more building sites in ten go and there are more health and safety regulations so there will be more potential work accidents.
If the judge in this case states that there was no accident and this appears to all intents and purposes a fraudulent claim, is there no comeuppance for the claimants?

And don't worry BC, despite the media, there will be plenty of claims to keep you in work  ;D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 06, 2018, 10:04:40 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 06, 2018, 09:47:30 AM

If the judge in this case states that there was no accident and this appears to all intents and purposes a fraudulent claim, is there no comeuppance for the claimants?

And don't worry BC, despite the media, there will be plenty of claims to keep you in work  ;D

The case can technically be referred to the Authorities but it rarely happens. Given that these plaintiffs are from NI I would think not.

I'm not worried about not having the work.... but there is a concerted effort by the insurance industry, backed by certain elements within the media, mostly O Brien's group,  to attack the 'claim culture'.

Tony Baloney

But despite what you say there is a claims culture. It almost a given in the north that you claim for personal injury in the event of a car accident even when there has been no injury and no loss of earnings associated with the accident. Ambulance chaser solicitors aren't helping (of which I have first hand experience), so the insurance industry are within their rights to take it on.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 06, 2018, 10:37:59 AM
But despite what you say there is a claims culture. It almost a given in the north that you claim for personal injury in the event of a car accident even when there has been no injury and no loss of earnings associated with the accident. Ambulance chaser solicitors aren't helping (of which I have first hand experience), so the insurance industry are within their rights to take it on.

It does happen but the level of fraudulent or excessively exaggerated claims are minimal enough and that's from day to day experience. You only hear about the claims that are dodgy as they are all over the news when caught out. The reality is that the majority, and by majority I mean the vast majority, of cases that are taken, are legitimate. I listen to Matt Cooper in the evening on the way home from work and to listen to him and your man from the AA you'd think that at every junction there's a car load of people ready to cause an accident. Claims are going up but the demographics of the country would indicate that this is expected. Of course there are set ups and get gem where I'm from I know all about them but that doesn't make them the rule. In fact they are the exception rather than the rule.