Laois Senior Panels 2022

Started by Robbo, November 16, 2021, 03:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivious

I think if you look at the forum you could cut and paste the same replies from every year for the last three year. Poor player engagement, poor manager, we are going to be relegated.
I get the commitment argument for young and old players as work and college commitments in order to cement future earnings, mortgage commitments, heating expenses, family and lifestyle commitments and general living expenses on the rise. Young lads wishing to spread their wings after 18 months of lockdown and potential to earn cash overseas. This is not unusual in all sports and especially in a county which is in decline on the field. This is the same not just in the county scene but in a lot of clubs with reduction in players training and playing and you can probably see the result in the playing numbers and overall success in Portlaoise. Young lads prefer Gyms and looking the part mostly as opposed to playing on the field and getting battered, that's just the way it is. Billy will have to deal with the bunch he gets and staying in Division 2 is probably not an option. Take it as Division 3 and anything above that will be a success. Have 20-30 commited lads who wish to pull on a jersey not based on a trip to Spain or Portugal but on a genuine wish to pick their wits against more succesful teams. You are on the same lines as the Irish soccer team I am afraid , results will be poor, rankings will drop and players will drop out. You gotta put the finance into juvenile and underage development. Properly costed s&C development and gear and equipment the whole way down in the various panels. I would rather see a young lad kitted out with a laois training top and shorts and socks than some lad on a beach in spain sipping sangria on a training camp at the age of 35 showing his passion for Laois.                         

portlaoisekid

There is no gun to anyone's head to play and I dont begrudge any lad not playing but it is extremely tough to stomach that we cant get the majority of our best players on board.

Why we are surprised I dunno as this is going on forever with Laois in both codes and its ingrained into our psyche. I dont think think it'll ever change, in general as a county we do not want to do the hard yards to achieve success as much other counties, and so along with many other reasons we will always be lagging behind. Its always been the case and with the current landscape its a very easy option not to commit.

High Fielder

But that applies to us all PK. If they are doing all that they do
,  they deserve our support. They deserve at the very least to see a couple of hundred supporters on the worst away day. They get nothing like it at times

portlaoisekid

Quote from: High Fielder on November 17, 2021, 11:33:36 AM
But that applies to us all PK. If they are doing all that they do
,  they deserve our support. They deserve at the very least to see a couple of hundred supporters on the worst away day. They get nothing like it at times
Yeah for sure, we are all part of this....the ones I feel sorry for are the players who strive to be the best they can be and play for Laois but are always swimming against the tide

High Fielder

Me too. Our CB are spineless. They offer these lads as little support as they can get away with. Then they hide behind some makey uppy panel because they knew nobody would want the job. They should go up to Croke Park and tell them we have a player drain because nobody is interested in playing in this farce of a competition or league. Oh hold on, that might ruin the auld spot on the Leinster Council.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: The PRO on November 17, 2021, 09:49:09 AM
I've heard of a number of players who were asked to join the squad but turned it down as they intend to travel in 2022.
Next year's club championships could well be decided by which club has the least lads on Bondi Beach!

To add to that I've heard a number of Port lads will be unavailable for the club next year aswell as the county . I've heard Ronan Coffey is heading to Canada and I've heard rumours regarding Adam Ryan too along with others . Will Port even do the 3 in a row at this rate ?

clonadmad

Whatever about the footballers who might have legitimate reasons given the shambles of the last few years and the strangle hold Dublin has on the football championship, for opting off panels

The Hurlers can have none

They are playing at the very top level in both championship and league and if you dont want to commit, its a reflection on you and no one else.

This sort of shite goes on in no other Liam McCarthy playing county, Lads would shot their mother for the smell of a county Jersey, but its always an issue here.

On another note

Are Camross still objecting to the ratification of Cheddar as manager?

town1980

Were the hurlers not blessed to be relegated ??? top class hurling

burdizzo

Um? Not been paying attention? Do 100 lines - "the hurlers were NOT relegated in 2021"!

clonadmad

Quote from: town1980 on November 18, 2021, 04:42:10 PM
Were the hurlers not blessed to be relegated ??? top class hurling

What are you on about?

The hurlers weren't relegated from anything

town1980

I meant they we're lucky they weren't relegated again they were far from top class

Jd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Laois Senior Panels 2022
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 11:57:06 PM »
I meant they we're lucky they weren't relegated again they were far from top class

But they weren't relegated were they ? and are playing div 1 and mccarthy Cup so yes they are hurling at the top. They deserve credit for where they are rather than you putting them down with your snide remarks

town1980

Yes beating Westmeath was great 👍