Laois Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by SCFC, August 29, 2021, 11:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Countyminor

That result today was a decade in the making. Portlaoise's decline as a force at underage level since the move to Rathleague has been absolutely terrifying and nobody in the county even seems to bat an eyelid at it. Portlaoise will always be up there or thereabouts at the business end of the championship given the population of the town but my god I hope today serves as a wake-up call that things need to change or the rot will just sink in deeper.

Fair play to Portarlington. The level of talent in their ranks is insane by Laois standards. The fact that they can leave fine young players like Colin Slevin and Jordan Fitzpatrick, who would otherwise walk into every other team in the county, on the bench is a real testament to the way the club is running right now. They won't be beaten in Laois for a while. 

SCFC

Portarlington really enjoyed that. I know that they really wanted to beat Portlaoise in a final to rubber stamp their supremacy in the county. Not much more to be said - they were excellent all over the field. I don't know who got MOTM but Cathal Bennett and Paddy O'Sullivan must have been close. Hope they do well in Leinster.
Portlaoise were terrible. I honestly think they are far from the second best team in the county. I would rate Ballyfin (I know Portlaoise beat them), Emo and maybe Graigue as better than Portlaoise. Ballyroan Abbey must be wondering how they took such a hiding in the semi final.

town1980

I didn't enjoy any bit of our performance I have COVID I couldn't go so I had it on the TVs and had midlands radio on and the commentary was great but for portArlington both commentators had a h___n for port but rightly so ,, Kevin may go portlaoise need an outside man gone are the days of inside men it's not easy anymore joes ballyroan they will all come the worst defeat in years simple as

Jd

Congrats to Port very good performance. Defence is the bedrock of any team and they have a brilliant system in place. Perhaps instead of investing in football coaches, Portlaoise should invest in a coach of a different kind and send it up to all the estates around the town to transport kids up to training as it seems that since the move out of town happened numbers at underage have dropped off a good bit. People who are not typical GAA families might not bother or have the means to get to rath league but if transport is provided they might go out. With regard to other coaching my feeling is to get them out first and sort the coaching then. But this is ports day and they should celebrate it as if they'll never win another

clonadmad

Quote from: Countyminor on November 14, 2021, 10:11:28 PM
That result today was a decade in the making. Portlaoise's decline as a force at underage level since the move to Rathleague has been absolutely terrifying and nobody in the county even seems to bat an eyelid at it. Portlaoise will always be up there or thereabouts at the business end of the championship given the population of the town but my god I hope today serves as a wake-up call that things need to change or the rot will just sink in deeper.

Fair play to Portarlington. The level of talent in their ranks is insane by Laois standards. The fact that they can leave fine young players like Colin Slevin and Jordan Fitzpatrick, who would otherwise walk into every other team in the county, on the bench is a real testament to the way the club is running right now. They won't be beaten in Laois for a while.

No minor A since 2012

I did a bit of digging and its frightening the decline at juvenile

i posted it up over on the the future of football thread

Robbo

I don't think any team in leinster will fancy playing Port. They have an excellent full-back line and can get bodies to put protection in front. Then crucially they can get the ball forward at pace and have the forwards to hurt teams. There are so well balanced and their conditioning is streets ahead of anyone else in laois. Some teams can match them legs, some for size; nobody for both. And i dont see that changing in the next couple of years either.

Hard to know what to make of Portlaoise. Best of the rest but a long way from where they were even 5 years ago. Dont think they have many reinforcements coming through either.

Ballybrittas Boy

Well done Port. That was a really impressive display. Hopefully, there's a decent run Leinster to follow. Can see three in a row being achieved relatively easily and no reason that a few more titles can't be added. Only Squirty to be  replaced in the short term and he's still in great nick. Also, I'm praying that we'll see a good few of these lads in with Laois next year. We need to add some good young lads to the squad and these chaps are the pick of the bunch.

Hard luck to Portlaoise. I think if they had brought their semi final game to the table, it could have been more of a contest. But Cahillane going off was a disaster. They lacked his ability to finish moves with scores. Boyle, Dillon and Carroll aren't natural finishers and young Larkin and McEvoy simply didn't turn up.

Not that Port would have been beaten. It just might have kept it closer for a bit longer.

On a sour note, I was sitting between a group of Portlaoise and Portarlington supporters and I know every club has its "asshole" followers but some of the abuse one particular Port guy was dishing out to the Town crowd was just way over the top. And to make it worse, one of Laois's best ever footballers (and an out and out gentleman) turned around to remonstrate politely enough only to be met with a tirade of abuse from some clown who probably didn't even recognize him. Whoever he was, he could learn a lot from the gracious people like Martin Murphy, Brendan McCann and Eamonn Murphy to name just three who know how to win (and lose) with a bit of manners.

Rant over. Sorry!

portlaoisekid

All I can say is congratulations to Port, I thought before the game the had way too much for us and unfortunately that was borne out in empathetic fashion.

Port surely have to focus on Leinster now, its has to be their aim.

Portlaoise are in a bad place and the last two years have been an unmitigated disaster. It'll take a long time to rectify the current situation.

Laoiseabu

I'm Hearing that Paddy OSullivan may be the only Port lad committing to Laois next year. I've heard Robbie Pigott , Sean Byrne and Colm Murphy won't be commiting .
You would have to feel for Billy Sheehan if this is true as he will probably have to go with players from other clubs who aren't as good .
It really is a sign of the times in Laois . We will do well to stay in division 3 at this rate .

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 16, 2021, 01:25:28 PM
I'm Hearing that Paddy OSullivan may be the only Port lad committing to Laois next year. I've heard Robbie Pigott , Sean Byrne and Colm Murphy won't be commiting .
You would have to feel for Billy Sheehan if this is true as he will probably have to go with players from other clubs who aren't as good .
It really is a sign of the times in Laois . We will do well to stay in division 3 at this rate .

That's a disaster if true. 3 almost definite starters not available. Sheehan will be doing very well to keep Laois in Division 3 next year.

Laois Rising

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40745211.html

This article would give me some encouragement that couple more of the Port lads will go in with Laois. If you can get a spine of that team in with Laois it will help Billy considerably build a team that can survive in division 3 next year.

redsetanta

Any stats men here. Back to back titles in both hurling and football. When was the last time that happened?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Helix.

Quote from: redsetanta on November 23, 2021, 03:09:16 PM
Any stats men here. Back to back titles in both hurling and football. When was the last time that happened?

2017-2018 ? Camross and Portlaoise off top of my head?

Robbo

Port favourites for the match on Sunday with the bookies
Huge opportunity to get to Croker.

Stopping Heslin is crucial but they've an excellent midfield in McCartan and O'Toole who are experienced county players.
Shane Dempsey had a great final and is another with county experience. Right men man-marking will be a challenge but Port have plenty of choices to be fair.

Think the conditions might suit Port as they're great at playing deep and defensive. They move forward then at pace and have great options.

Hope rheres a good turnout. Nice to see a big support as we have new champions representing us.

Spiritof86

Did actual suspensions occur or happen following the Killeshin/Kileen incident last year ?