The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Niall Handy mentioned in his recent report that he expects a number of retirements from the senior intercounty team . Could anyone shed some light on who these players could be ?

Zooming around

If you're at Convention watch how many of our top brass will sit there with a big broad smile at the financial surplus thinking they are doing a great job. When Clare won the All Ireland in 2013 they were just under a million in debt because of the investment it took to win. Tipp spent close to €1m on their senior hurling team alone in 2019 and guess what... they won. People in those, and most other counties couldn't give a shit about surpluses. Trophies are the only currency.

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: Zooming around on December 03, 2021, 02:13:02 PM
If you're at Convention watch how many of our top brass will sit there with a big broad smile at the financial surplus thinking they are doing a great job. When Clare won the All Ireland in 2013 they were just under a million in debt because of the investment it took to win. Tipp spent close to €1m on their senior hurling team alone in 2019 and guess what... they won. People in those, and most other counties couldn't give a shit about surpluses. Trophies are the only currency.

Tipp in 2019 spent €1.77m and that figure just covers what the county board spent, not money put into the county teams and support staff wages/expertise by the likes of our Sponsor and supporters as well

And It was worth every nickel

be it the All Ireland win in 19 or we winning a Munster football title on the Centenary of Bloody Sunday.

Players deserve the very best whether they are representing Tipp at u14 or Senior

town1980

There will be none as billy is too friendly with the older bunch but his hands are tied with lads not committing but Niall handy saying he can't believe billy is still not called a Laois man am I right he said that.?

The PRO

Quote from: Laoiseabu on December 03, 2021, 01:47:01 PM
Niall Handy mentioned in his recent report that he expects a number of retirements from the senior intercounty team . Could anyone shed some light on who these players could be ?
I believe neither Mark Timmons or Colm Begley are back. I know Ross Munnelly is going to be a part of the panel again. Donie Kingston is getting married this week so mightn't be back until later. JOL, Lillis, Dillon all still involved.
New lads asked in that I've heard of include Dylan Doyle, Joey Shelley, Dylan Kavanagh, Rob Tyrrell, Cathal Doyle, Cormac Murphy, Collins Ugochukwu and Danny Bolger. I'm sure there are more new lads but those are the ones I've heard.
Obviously there will be some Portarlington players to come in.

Chrimtain

Are some of the Portarlington lads going travelling next year? There is speculation that Colm Murphy, Ronan Coffey and Robbie Piggott may be.

Although he is very young, Cathal Bennett is showing that he would be a very welcome addition to a Laois panel.

SCFC

Brian Daly and James Kelly of Josephs are both going to be involved.
I'd imagine one or two Park Ratheniska lads might get the call and maybe one or two of the Portlaoise and Ballyroan Abbey under 20's? Damon Larkin springs to mind.

Zooming around

Some of the names mentioned there are very young and you'd wonder how they would get on at Senior inter county level. The last thing you want is a very young lad getting scarred, packing it in and not being around at all when he's 24/25/26/27 (the age when he would actually be physically able for it).

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Zooming around on December 07, 2021, 01:49:29 PM
Some of the names mentioned there are very young and you'd wonder how they would get on at Senior inter county level. The last thing you want is a very young lad getting scarred, packing it in and not being around at all when he's 24/25/26/27 (the age when he would actually be physically able for it).
I think thats where the huge problem lies, we dont have the core group at mid twenties to drive the team forward.... Billy has no choice to go with youth...

BallyroanAbu

I think the core mid 20s are turning down the opportunity to play under Billy en masse.

The PRO

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on December 07, 2021, 03:02:48 PM
I think the core mid 20s are turning down the opportunity to play under Billy en masse.
The best of the mid 20's aged lads are in with Laois. Trevor Collins, Eoin Buggie, Paddy O'Sullivan, Brian Byrne, Colm Murphy, Brian Daly, Eoin Lowry, Dicey Reilly, all 25 or 26. Evan O'Carroll, Paul Kingston, Alan Farrell a little bit older.

It seems to be a few good players aged 21, 22 who are not taking up the chance to play.

Chrimtain

Quote from: The PRO on December 17, 2021, 10:05:07 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on December 07, 2021, 03:02:48 PM
The best of the mid 20's aged lads are in with Laois. Trevor Collins, Eoin Buggie, Paddy O'Sullivan, Brian Byrne, Colm Murphy, Brian Daly, Eoin Lowry, Dicey Reilly, all 25 or 26. Evan O'Carroll, Paul Kingston, Alan Farrell a little bit older.

It seems to be a few good players aged 21, 22 who are not taking up the chance to play.

I'm not so sure about Colm Murphy. I think he might be travelling next year.

town1980

He is doing all of it himself could be a rookie mistake time will tell hopefully he gets a bite luck on his side

SCFC

Quote from: The PRO on December 07, 2021, 11:16:04 AM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on December 03, 2021, 01:47:01 PM
I believe neither Mark Timmons or Colm Begley are back. I know Ross Munnelly is going to be a part of the panel again. Donie Kingston is getting married this week so mightn't be back until later. JOL, Lillis, Dillon all still involved.
New lads asked in that I've heard of include Dylan Doyle, Joey Shelley, Dylan Kavanagh, Rob Tyrrell, Cathal Doyle, Cormac Murphy, Collins Ugochukwu and Danny Bolger. I'm sure there are more new lads but those are the ones I've heard.
Obviously there will be some Portarlington players to come in.
James Finn is another to add to that list. Very good player on his day.

Brandon

Will Sean Moore from ballyfin be on the panel this year ? He's probably the best forward we have in Laois and he never is on the panel anybody know why ? He played one game I seen him alright come on against Meath in the o'byrne cup near the end in stradbally a few years back.