Portlaoise v Ballylinan
Courtwood v O'Dempsey's
Rosenallis v Ballyfin
Stradbally v Portarlington
Arles-Killeen v Graiguecullen
The Heath v Arles-Kilcruise
Killeshin v Emo
Ballyroan-Abbey v St Joseph's

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The PRO

With no league form to go on, it'll be interesting to see who adapts best to the shorter season. Challenge games, left, right and centre by all accounts!

I'd expect Portlaoise to be nailed on to win against Ballylinan.
O'Dempseys should be a bit stronger than Courtwood.
I fancy the addition of JOL to edge Rosenallis past Ballyfin but hardly a surprise if Ballyfin go on another run after last year.
Port should beat Strad based on the supply of young lads coming through.
Killeen and Graigue is a hard one to call. Maybe just Graigue?
The Heath have a shocking record in recent years. Been in a lot of relegation battles. But Arles Kilcruise are in decline too. Another tight game I reckon.
Killeshin had a great year last year but Emo are very tough to beat in championship. I'll predict a mild shock win for Emo here.
BA and Josephs is the hardest one to call. I honestly haven't a clue. Someone to win on penalties maybe? :)

Blow-in

SCFC

Quote from: Batman!!! on July 07, 2020, 10:12:46 PM
One man we won't see in the championship according to this: https://soundcloud.com/moore_tomas/episode-12-brian-bruno-mccormack/s-Rj9uHT4Db6r

Big loss for Portlaoise

He is indeed. I believe there are a lot of players not playing this year. A combination of Covid fears and the short campaign not being attractive in the main.

Ballyroan Abbey

Couple of our main players are missing for a combination of reasons, i've heard Rosenallis are in a simular situation which is a pity as i fancied them to go well enough, if it was a normal year you would imagine the 2 Arles's are getting precariously close to the drop

portlaoisekid

Lots of word around about players missing but its such a strange time that nothing is unexpected.

At the end of the day lads have to make the correct call for themselves, if they sit it out for a few months they can play next year and stay safe in the mean time.

Countyminor

Here's a list of 5 things that I would like to see happen this championship:

1. The relegation of one of Arles clubs - Just so I can sneer a good old-fashioned I told you so in their direction, to be honest. I have no time for their small-minded, parish loyalties trump what's good for our players and county mentality. Ideally both clubs would suffer the trapdoor fate but, as this unfortunately an impossibility, I'd still smugly settle to see one go (preferably Killeen). A very realistic possibility given both teams have a median age of about 47. This is nothing personal. Both clubs have great people involved and fantastic player commitment but they continue to hurt themselves and Laois so...

2. Stradbally struggle - This one speaks for itself. A club that fluked their way to a poor championship a few years ago and who seem quite content to just trot along as a run of the mill club, resting on former glories as being historically the second football club in the county after Portlaoise, while offering nothing other really than comic relief when they fall to a supposedly hurling club such as Ballyfin. Not entirely specific to Stradbally; could easily slap The Heath etc in there.

3. Rosenallis & Ballyfin go far - Hopefully neither club lose any of their key men. Two well run clubs thriving at both codes (a relative rarity in the country) and especially in Ballyfin's case, playing a nice brand of football. Take notes Stradbally, Mountmellick and co.

4. Portlaoise 2 - The debate of Portlaoise having a second club needs to be reignited as a necessity. The current club are cash-strapped as we all well know and, whether anyone actually wants to admit it, they tend to fish exclusively in certain parts of the town. A second club could be easily based on the Mountrath Road at the current Portlaoise College site, with the school used as a potential feeder, and serve a part of town that is not only neglected by Portlaoise, but by the county as a whole.

5. Credible challenge to Portlaoise - Only Port can realistically do this (although they might be a little preoccupied if you know what I am saying...) Nevertheless, Port have a good team and are well capable of challenging Portlaoise.

Anyways that's some of my thoughts, would be interested in hearing others.

SCFC

Quote from: Countyminor on July 08, 2020, 07:29:11 PM

1. The relegation of one of Arles clubs - Just so I can sneer a good old-fashioned I told you so in their direction, to be honest. I have no time for their small-minded, parish loyalties trump what's good for our players and county mentality. Ideally both clubs would suffer the trapdoor fate but, as this unfortunately an impossibility, I'd still smugly settle to see one go (preferably Killeen).......

This is nothing personal.

It doesn't come across as "nothing personal"!!

KOTS3

Any predictions for the first round lads.

Portlaoise v Ballylinan - Portlaoise
Courtwood v O'Dempsey's - Odempseys should be winning this but courtwood will be ambitious to maintain senior again this year. Anyone have any update on if Niall Dunne is back playing yet?
Rosenallis v Ballyfin - Going to go with Rosenallis here.
Stradbally v Portarlington Port
Arles-Killeen v Graiguecullen Graigue
The Heath v Arles-Kilcruise - Draw, or kilcruise to Knick it
Killeshin v Emo - Killeshin
Ballyroan-Abbey v St Joseph's - Joseph's

smcder

Zooming around

Quote from: smcder on August 05, 2020, 04:36:17 PM
What would be the best games to stream?

Courtwood v O'Dempseys and Rosenallis v Ballyfin I'd say

The PRO

Quote from: KOTS3 on August 05, 2020, 01:31:04 PM
Anyone have any update on if Niall Dunne is back playing yet?
No, he's not back yet and there are big doubts over the availability of Niall Donoher too due to Covid fears (as in his son).

Silkyskillssunshinee

Predictions:

Portlaoise to hammer Ballylinan.
Courtwood to upset neighbours O'Dempsey's
Rosenallis to make a flying start to Senior life by beating Ballyfin
Stradbally tend to be a bit of a bogey team for Port, they might edge it
Graiguecullen to comfortably beat Killeen
The Heath to edge Kilcruise
Emo to surprise last year's beaten finalists Killeshin
St Joseph's to defeat Ballyroan Abbey and will be closest challengers to Portlaoise.