Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Straight into the group stages of the champions league. Handy

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2017, 09:53:45 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 24, 2017, 09:49:56 PM
In fairness Jose got it bang on tonight. Controlled the game from start to finish. This season has got to be considered a success.

Wasn't great.... would be hoping for the defence to tighten up and Utd to improve on their attacking play, yes controlling a game is needed but winning the league would require some surgery

Defence did tighten up, harder to score against now and harder to beat because of that defensive organization.

smelmoth

Quote from: michaelg on May 24, 2017, 09:50:52 PM
Would put  you off watching football that.

Awful stuff.

Jose was brought in to win. Not to entertain or do things the United way. Fair enough but when Jose moves on will united attempt to reclaim their history and way of playing?

United's traditions have not been suspended they have been foregone

Ball Hopper

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 24, 2017, 09:51:49 PM
Well done United. A bad season in many ways still ending up with 2 trophies and CL qualification. I'd take a few of those bad seasons.

Did they not win three trophies?

Jeepers Creepers

Thought it was a decent away performance. unlike the season gone, Utd able to score twice with limited quality control of the game. Ajax were a very tidy football team, technically very good (once the settled down) although were very poor up front. Darmian and Herrera big shouts for man of the match. no nonsense grafting. ANOTHER interesting summer ahead.

5 Sams

Didnt see the game but just got the headlights...I would be a United admirer...havent been a fan since the Cantona days....but I have to say Ander Herrara is a p***k.

Good to see them winning the third out of the 3 major European trophies....something Liverpool will never do ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Milltown Row2

Herrara fills that position well.... that's been missing in that position
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Relief at that win is the overriding emotion. I should be happier but it's a combination of things that have me a bit underwhelmed. United were well organised and hard to break down and knew they'd nick a goal or two the other end. In truth Ajax were nice and tidy, good technically but it was men against boys. The exception being Sanchez, their centre back, who was easily the best player on the pitch. Only for him it would have been a much bigger scoreline.

6th in the league is still crap but I don't think United are the 6th best team in England. I fully expect United, with a few signings over the summer, to be challenging for the premier league and champions league. I'll have to suffer Mourinho......I just hope his negative defensive approach is mitigated somewhat. I can only hope but I fear it'll be the other way.

A decent season now. Only Chelsea did better on balance.

J70

Quote from: Ball Hopper on May 24, 2017, 10:49:48 PM
Well done United. A bad season in many ways still ending up with 2 trophies and CL qualification. I'd take a few of those bad seasons.

Seriously??

stew

Quote from: J70 on May 25, 2017, 12:55:18 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on May 24, 2017, 10:49:48 PM

Seriously??

He is essentially correct.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

TabClear

Important win for United.  They had to be in the champions league. I suppose José has been vindicated but Chris it was hard to watch. 

Fully expect United to be fighting for the title next year with a couple of big signings and turning a lot of those hone draws into wins.  Don't expect it to be pretty though!

gallsman

Very important win for United. Champions League qualification was surely a minimum requirement for Mourinho and he's just about managed it.

How does their seeding work in the CL next year?

Taylor

After the events of Monday night it is off course nice to see it happen but by God that was terrible to watch.
Imagine if that outfit were playing RM or Barca next season.

An team with 7 or 8 average players.

ballinaman

Actually quite enjoyed the game purely for the tactical aspect of it. United tactics totally banjaxed Ajax  ;). Ajax hadn't a clue.

The Stallion

Another tactical masterclass from Mourinho. Certainly not easy on the eye, but there's no denying he knows what he's doing and it brings him great success.

Ajax looked very ordinary, which wasn't really a surprise as they were pipped to the title by a team where the awful Dirk Kuyt was the main man.