The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

I don't like Mourinho's style of football, but after watching my beloved Liverpool all season I must say it was refreshing last night to see a manager who clearly knows what he is doing and can organise a team well.

Brick Tamlin

Na, Mourinho is rubbish with over-rated and over-paid players everywhere.
Man Utd are rubbish.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 25, 2017, 09:40:30 AM
Man Utd are rubbish.
You're a very good analyst of the game with an emphasis on the first four letters of analyst. Have you applied to R.T.E.?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Brick Tamlin

Youre saying im a very good anal?
eh?

Hotrocks

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 25, 2017, 09:47:38 AM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 25, 2017, 09:40:30 AM
Man Utd are rubbish.
You're a very good analyst of the game with an emphasis on the first four letters of analyst. Have you applied to R.T.E.?

Would ye look were this cub is now looking attention. Don't interact with the imbecile, he's an attention seeker Brick.

laoislad

Greatest ever comeback in a European Cup Final was 12 years ago today.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

Quote from: laoislad on May 24, 2017, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on May 24, 2017, 05:46:17 PM
what is so wrong with the keeper?  Who was the last good keeper liverpool had who didn't have a good defense in front of him?
Plenty of rumour the last few days that he wants to sign Iker Casillas. Doubt he would be first choice if he did sign.
Mignolet in fairness had a strong finish to the season.

Unless he's regained his form this year, Casillas hasn't been too hot when I've seen him in recent times.

I'd stick with Mignolet in that case.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: J70 on May 25, 2017, 02:40:29 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 24, 2017, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on May 24, 2017, 05:46:17 PM
what is so wrong with the keeper?  Who was the last good keeper liverpool had who didn't have a good defense in front of him?
Plenty of rumour the last few days that he wants to sign Iker Casillas. Doubt he would be first choice if he did sign.
Mignolet in fairness had a strong finish to the season.

Unless he's regained his form this year, Casillas hasn't been too hot when I've seen him in recent times.

I'd stick with Mignolet in that case.

Klopp has rubbished the Casillas link. Not surprising really considering Ward is coming back to the club.

bamboo

Re: The greatest ever comeback.

Taking your Liverpool or Utd hat off, which was better; Utd scoring 2 in the dying minutes against a great german side after being outplayed for most of the 90 mins or Liverpool scoring 3 in a half to come from absolutely nowhere to force extra time against a Milan team known for it's defensive prowess?

We can agree that both were amazing but which shades it for you?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: bamboo on May 25, 2017, 04:53:23 PM

Taking your Liverpool or Utd hat off, which was better; Utd scoring 2 in the dying minutes against a great german side after being outplayed for most of the 90 mins or Liverpool scoring 3 in a half to come from absolutely nowhere to force extra time against a Milan team known for it's defensive prowess?

Liverpool  ;D

In all seriousness I'm not sure I would describe that Bayern Munich team as great. They had some excellent players - Matthaus and Effenberg for instance but they
were getting on at this stage especially in 1999. Carsten Jancker was playing up front for them!

Look at the Milan team that night:

Dida
Cafu
Jaap Stam
Alessandro Nesta
Paolo Maldini (c)
Andrea Pirlo
Gennaro Gattuso      
Clarence Seedorf      
Kaká
Andriy Shevchenko
Hernán Crespo

Pure quality in almost every position and the likes of Kaka (arguably the best player in the world at the time), Shevchenko, Pirlo and Crespo at their peak.
Even the veteran defenders in that team really weren't showing their age and won the CL a couple of years later.

J70

Futile debate. How do you weigh it? That United side were clearly a great side, but they were missing their two central midfield superstars on the night (on the other hand... Carsten Janker??). Liverpool were a limited side with some superb players and some terrible players, up against arguably the best team in Europe at the time.

Both of them sucker-punched opponents, perhaps a little complacent, who didn't have time to react or compose or organize themselves.

The Stallion

It is difficult to compare the two. But attempting to set aside my pro-Liverpool bias for a moment, Utd were totally outplayed for the whole game and snatched an undeserved win at the death so you could argue it was more dramatic.

Whereas Liverpool were much improved after the half-time change and when the first goal went in there was over half an hour left, so I felt they could win it.

brokencrossbar1

United was a snatch and grab Liverpool's was a comeback. I actually agree with Stallion here.

The Stallion

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 25, 2017, 05:10:21 PM

Liverpool  ;D

In all seriousness I'm not sure I would describe that Bayern Munich team as great. They had some excellent players - Matthaus and Effenberg for instance but they
were getting on at this stage especially in 1999. Carsten Jancker was playing up front for them!

Look at the Milan team that night:

Dida
Cafu
Jaap Stam
Alessandro Nesta
Paolo Maldini (c)
Andrea Pirlo
Gennaro Gattuso      
Clarence Seedorf      
Kaká
Andriy Shevchenko
Hernán Crespo

Pure quality in almost every position and the likes of Kaka (arguably the best player in the world at the time), Shevchenko, Pirlo and Crespo at their peak.
Even the veteran defenders in that team really weren't showing their age and won the CL a couple of years later.

Did Bayern not win the following year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea