GAA crowds

Started by Truth hurts, April 08, 2024, 09:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonian

Quote from: ardtole on April 15, 2024, 03:16:05 PMLast year in Clones was probably my worst experience following Down, and I've seen both Wicklow and Sligo putting us out in the backdoor.

The weather, the hammering the lack of facilities in Clones, its a ground no longer fit for purpose, anyone saying otherwise is wearing rose tinted glasses and thinking of the good oul days.

A few weeks later I was in Thurles for the Tailtain cup, Tipp v Limerick in the hurling was on after as part of a double header. The contrast in atmosphere, facilities, organisation etc was stark.

Having said that il more than likely be in Clones on Saturday week.

Lads still think it's a session incoming or you have the ex players now pundits still thinking about the glory days on that pitch. I don't think it would take an awful lot of investment to tidy it up a bit with facilities and pathways etc. You're never putting more covered areas though.

I've got soaked in Clones some times over the years. Only really remember 1 nice sunny day, 94 Ulster final v Tyrone.

armaghniac

Quote from: clonian on April 15, 2024, 03:46:48 PMLads still think it's a session incoming or you have the ex players now pundits still thinking about the glory days on that pitch. I don't think it would take an awful lot of investment to tidy it up a bit with facilities and pathways etc. You're never putting more covered areas though.

I've got soaked in Clones some times over the years. Only really remember 1 nice sunny day, 94 Ulster final v Tyrone.

It has been allowed to decline owing to attention on the mirage of the Cathedral at Casement. It could be tided up and while the hill will never be roofed, behind either goal could be. I've had roasting hot days at Clones too when the factor 50 was needed, but that will not happen in April.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Clones is a shithole but personally doesn't annoy me, I'm there to watch football and enjoy an atmosphere. You can watch a match and the buzz for the semi and final last year was unreal.

AustinPowers

Quote from: clonian on April 15, 2024, 03:46:48 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 15, 2024, 03:16:05 PMLast year in Clones was probably my worst experience following Down, and I've seen both Wicklow and Sligo putting us out in the backdoor.

The weather, the hammering the lack of facilities in Clones, its a ground no longer fit for purpose, anyone saying otherwise is wearing rose tinted glasses and thinking of the good oul days.

A few weeks later I was in Thurles for the Tailtain cup, Tipp v Limerick in the hurling was on after as part of a double header. The contrast in atmosphere, facilities, organisation etc was stark.

Lads still think it's a session incoming or you have the ex players now pundits still thinking about the glory days on that pitch. I don't think it would take an awful lot of investment to tidy it up a bit with facilities and pathways etc. You're never putting more covered areas though.

But you went home  with a lump after    James Mc Cartan's boot landed on your  head?  ;)

It's  the roads  to and around  Clones I have more of  a problem with. It would be a  great day out if  the train network extended to  Clones, but  there's no hope of  that happening

markl121

how many counties would a train station in clones benefit?

JoG2

Quote from: markl121 on April 15, 2024, 07:38:36 PMhow many counties would a train station in clones benefit?
Armagh, hoor's only have trains to Belfast and the rest of the place connecting via Dublin the critters

RedHand88

Quote from: JoG2 on April 15, 2024, 07:53:07 PM
Quote from: markl121 on April 15, 2024, 07:38:36 PMhow many counties would a train station in clones benefit?
Armagh, hoor's only have trains to Belfast and the rest of the place connecting via Dublin the critters

What's a train?

Armagh18

In fairness we'd have to set foot in Newry or Portadown or worse still Lurgan to avail of a train. No thanks!

93-DY-SAM

Was waiting on the shout going up before last weekend about needing extra trains to Enniskillen 🤪

Armagh ones love an auld train.

AustinPowers

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 15, 2024, 08:03:01 PM

What's a train?

Be patient , RH.

A new train line will be in Tyrone any  day now

armaghniac

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 15, 2024, 09:19:49 PM

Was waiting on the shout going up before last weekend about needing extra trains to Enniskillen 🤪

Brewster park would be 12 mins walk from the railway station.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

David McKeown

The split season cant help either.  I remember when the 1st round of the Ulster championship was a great day out played in late May or early June with decent weather.  Families could make a day of it and watch two knock out matches.  Yesterday only me and my brother could go.  His kids have exams coming up, there was no minor game, it was expensive, it was cold, it was wet it was windy and little to nothing rested on the outcome. Win and you had at least 4 matches left this season lose and you have at least 3 matches left.  I never liked the backdoor for what it did to the provincial championships it was the first nail in their coffin for me.  This current format is the final nail.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

yellowcard

Quote from: David McKeown on April 15, 2024, 10:03:41 PMThe split season cant help either.  I remember when the 1st round of the Ulster championship was a great day out played in late May or early June with decent weather.  Families could make a day of it and watch two knock out matches.  Yesterday only me and my brother could go.  His kids have exams coming up, there was no minor game, it was expensive, it was cold, it was wet it was windy and little to nothing rested on the outcome. Win and you had at least 4 matches left this season lose and you have at least 3 matches left.  I never liked the backdoor for what it did to the provincial championships it was the first nail in their coffin for me.  This current format is the final nail.

It definitely doesn't feel like championship as every game is heavily watered down in terms of what is at stake. It's not proper cup/championship football until the quarter finals. It will meant practically the same handful of teams will be in the last 4/8 every season.

There will be no more Cavan's or Tipperary giant killings as with the 2020 Covid championship season. 

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: armaghniac on April 15, 2024, 09:36:26 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 15, 2024, 09:19:49 PM

Brewster park would be 12 mins walk from the railway station.

😂😂

clonian

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 15, 2024, 06:17:02 PM
Quote from: clonian on April 15, 2024, 03:46:48 PM

But you went home  with a lump after    James Mc Cartan's boot landed on your  head?  ;)

It's  the roads  to and around  Clones I have more of  a problem with. It would be a  great day out if  the train network extended to  Clones, but  there's no hope of  that happening

I was on the other side so missed that.

The roads in are shite, I wrecked 2 tyres on the way home last year too ffs - only remembered that now.