David Clifford to surpass the Gooch?

Started by CumminsCiderLarry, June 03, 2018, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on June 04, 2018, 10:17:52 PM
So Clifford's a goodun then

Apparently so ::). Wait till the Ulster blanket gets the hold of him ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

From the Bunker

Quote from: illdecide on June 04, 2018, 10:27:44 PM

Heard that all last year about the same thing happening to Dublin.

illdecide

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 04, 2018, 10:34:00 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 04, 2018, 10:27:44 PM

Heard that all last year about the same thing happening to Dublin.

Fair enough and true...but the Dubs are something else like
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Dinny Breen

He scored 1 point from play against Clare, hardly the second coming of Gooch.

He's very accurate and clinical any time I saw him as a minor but doesn't have much pace. Cooper though had a fantastic game intelligence but that develops over time, people will just need to give Clifford time and patience.
#newbridgeornowhere

Orchard park

Paul Geaney still their go to forward

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Orchard park on June 05, 2018, 03:34:36 PM
Paul Geaney still their go to forward
Yes and probably one of the most underrated forwards in the game today.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 05, 2018, 10:16:55 AM

He's very accurate and clinical any time I saw him as a minor but doesn't have much pace. Cooper though had a fantastic game intelligence but that develops over time, people will just need to give Clifford time and patience.

Interesting to see how he goes alright. Thing is he was a very big minor and used his size advantage to literally swat away smaller defenders at times. Obviously he has the skills but the physical advantage he had is now gone for the most part at senior. He'll be fine I imagine as he has the skills to make space for himself despite not being the quickest.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 03, 2018, 11:58:40 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2018, 12:21:19 PM
Depends how many finals  he plays against Cork and Mayo. Depends whether or not the Ulster crowd can leave mediocrity behind. Depends on Kerry being ready when the Dub empire is sacked.

You can add Galway to that! Kerry love playing Galway more than even Mayo!

Galway actually still have a decent record against Kerry overall mainly because they were actually considered Kerry's bogey team at one point. It's only since the 80's that the trend reversed strongly in Kerry's favour.

Hopefully beating them in an All-Ireland U-21 semi-final last year and in the league down in Kerry this year will stop the rot going forward.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 05, 2018, 04:51:04 PM
Depends how many finals  he plays against Cork and Mayo. Depends whether or not the Ulster crowd can leave mediocrity behind. Depends on Kerry being ready when the Dub empire is sacked.

Galway actually still have a decent record against Kerry overall mainly because they were actually considered Kerry's bogey team at one point. It's only since the 80's that the trend reversed strongly in Kerry's favour.

Hopefully beating them in an All-Ireland U-21 semi-final last year and in the league down in Kerry this year will stop the rot going forward.

You are talking about 50+ years of History there! The trend happened way before the 80's!

Syferus

The hype is silly. He could bully players at underage and played on excellent teams, he doesn't have a physical advantage at senior and Kerry are only maybe the best team in a group of six or seven teams below Dublin so it's a very different environment to be operating in. He's going to a quality player in time but even though this is a WUM thread the sentiment expressed in the OP isn't far removed from what it is elsewhere, which is incredible pressure to put on a teenager.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 05, 2018, 04:53:29 PM

You are talking about 50+ years of History there! The trend happened way before the 80's!

I didn't know we were cherry picking periods of time. Easy to twist anything doing that but I agree our record against them since the 80's has been awful. We didn't actually play them at all in championship during the 70's. Avoided each other in the early 70's when we had a very good side and by the late 70's heyday of that great Kerry side, Roscommon had taken over in Connacht.

imtommygunn

Did galway play kerry much in the 90s? Or are we talking league too? I am not sure i can remember a championship game.

Hound

Yep, he's nothing like Gooch, a poor comparison.

He's already a big man though, and what he was supposed to be very good at v Clare was winning ball and laying it off. Seems to have plenty of game intelligence, not the quickest but has a burst in him, and well able to kick scores.

There's plenty of people in Kerry who think Sean O'Shea is going to be even better. As a Dub, I didnt relish him kicking over a few long range frees!

But good for both of them that Geaney is still the main man and O'Donoghue showed some signs of coming back to form. Seems the plan might be to play him as a playmaker 11.

Perhaps Dublin's biggest weakness is if you can get 1-on-1 with their full back line. They're not great man-on-man, bar Cooper maybe. But you need to play 6 forwards to stop them having a sweeper, and then that leaves the Dubs even more dangerous at the other end.

galwayman

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 05, 2018, 04:53:29 PM

No it didn't actually.
Galway and Kerry were level pegging in terms of head to head c'ship games against each other until they met (once) in the 80s.
They didn't play each other again until the AI final in 2000.
It's been one way traffic since then.