David Clifford to surpass the Gooch?

Started by CumminsCiderLarry, June 03, 2018, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I think he took the bull by the horns yesterday because he had to, but I've seen him bringing others into play in previous games and I don't think he's in anyway selfish (as young forwards can sometimes be).
Geaney saw plenty of the ball yesterday, with very little to show for it.
If he had his eye in he could have had 3/4 points from play.
Geaney is more of an out-and-out full forward for me and I would let Clifford roam out the field as he has a monster boot on him.
I would keep Geaney close to goal and have a mixture of Clifford, Donaghy & O'Donoghue rotating in and around him.
If O'Donoghue plays his way back into form he will be a massive weapon as I think he has matured a bit and would not necessarily need to be the main man.
Ideally, an in-form O'Donoghue would start with Donaghy kept in reserve for the 2nd half.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GalwayBayBoy

When was O'Donaghue last in form? It might be 4 years ago.

yellowcard

I agree that a 2 man full forward line of Geaney and Clifford is the ideal set up for Kerry with Donaghy as a plan B from the bench.

O'Donoghue is one of the most over rated footballers in the country very reliant on raw pace. 

Jinxy

O'Donoghue has lost a yard of pace, but he's still a handful one on one for a defender.
I think if he could reinvent himself somewhat he would be a serious asset to that forward line.
He probably feels like he should be the main scoring threat, but he could do a lot of damage roaming out the wings and letting good, accurate high balls into the FF line.
You'd also fancy him to bury a goal chance.
There is a bit of a 'galacticos' feel to this Kerry forward line.
They are currently less than the sum of their parts because I'm not sure they've figured out how to work together in a proper, tight championship game where they have to work off limited possession.
Having Donaghy inside gives the attack a focus, and you get the feeling the forwards in general are happier when he's on the edge of the square.
Not sure they should be relying on him at this stage though.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 01:51:24 PM
O'Donoghue has lost a yard of pace, but he's still a handful one on one for a defender.
I think if he could reinvent himself somewhat he would be a serious asset to that forward line.
He probably feels like he should be the main scoring threat, but he could do a lot of damage roaming out the wings and letting good, accurate high balls into the FF line.
You'd also fancy him to bury a goal chance.
There is a bit of a 'galacticos' feel to this Kerry forward line.
They are currently less than the sum of their parts because I'm not sure they've figured out how to work together in a proper, tight championship game where they have to work off limited possession.
Having Donaghy inside gives the attack a focus, and you get the feeling the forwards in general are happier when he's on the edge of the square.
Not sure they should be relying on him at this stage though.

Isn't that how Kerry got the goal too?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 23, 2018, 12:15:38 PM
When was O'Donaghue last in form? It might be 4 years ago.

When did he put his shoulder out?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Jinxy

Yep.
Actually, having watched the replay of the goal multiple times, it really is a thing of beauty.
Catching the ball (if he was able) wouldn't have done Donaghy any good, as he was too close to goal with men all over him.
He knew 100% what he was doing when he palmed the ball down in front of Clifford he didn't just throw a hand at it.
Then the speed at which Clifford secured possession and got it down onto his boot.
THEN, look what he had to aim at!

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 02:22:53 PM
Yep.
Actually, having watched the replay of the goal multiple times, it really is a thing of beauty.
Catching the ball (if he was able) wouldn't have done Donaghy any good, as he was too close to goal with men all over him.
He knew 100% what he was doing when he palmed the ball down in front of Clifford he didn't just throw a hand at it.
Then the speed at which Clifford secured possession and got it down onto his boot.
THEN, look what he had to aim at!

Very few players would have scored that goal.

The speed of thought to actually get the shot away as quick as he did and then the unerring accurate finish to match it. Very few if any other forwards in the country could have executed. The touch from Donaghy was straight from a basketball court and was clearly intended, his hands are his strength.

Jinxy

Love the crowd reactions in the background as well.

Syferus

As much as I'm loath to admit it, Star was the one demonstrating the real skill in that move.

brokencrossbar1

The goal was a target man goal at its very best. Star on his game is one of the finest exponents that I can recall of playing the target man....I love watching him.  He's a gouger and an annoyance and that's what I love about him. Too often Defenders get away with bullying forwards. He bullies defenders and I love it!!

Jinxy

You need two things to be a successful target man in gaelic football.
Big hands and a big arse.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 03:07:44 PM
You need two things to be a successful target man in gaelic football.
Big hands and a big arse.

Absolutely!!!!  As someone who played it for years I certainly had the latter...and still do🤣

Jinxy

Imagine the carnage you could unleash now on the edge of the square with that arse.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 03:14:11 PM
Imagine the carnage you could unleash now on the edge of the square with that arse.

I'm trying to pass on my wisdom to a few Mead men with ample arses at the minute.....they're just too honest!!!