David Clifford to surpass the Gooch?

Started by CumminsCiderLarry, June 03, 2018, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Hound on June 05, 2018, 09:04:19 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 05, 2018, 10:16:55 AM
He scored 1 point from play against Clare, hardly the second coming of Gooch.

He's very accurate and clinical any time I saw him as a minor but doesn't have much pace. Cooper though had a fantastic game intelligence but that develops over time, people will just need to give Clifford time and patience.
Yep, he's nothing like Gooch, a poor comparison.

He's already a big man though, and what he was supposed to be very good at v Clare was winning ball and laying it off. Seems to have plenty of game intelligence, not the quickest but has a burst in him, and well able to kick scores.

There's plenty of people in Kerry who think Sean O'Shea is going to be even better. As a Dub, I didnt relish him kicking over a few long range frees!

But good for both of them that Geaney is still the main man and O'Donoghue showed some signs of coming back to form. Seems the plan might be to play him as a playmaker 11.

Perhaps Dublin's biggest weakness is if you can get 1-on-1 with their full back line. They're not great man-on-man, bar Cooper maybe. But you need to play 6 forwards to stop them having a sweeper, and then that leaves the Dubs even more dangerous at the other end.

There was one play in the highlights on TSG where he won a ball and set up Geaney with a lovely dummy. The thing was he had half a chance to shoot himself but he made the smart play and set up Geaney for a much higher percent almost tap-over effort. For a young lad of 19 on his intercounnty championship debut it was very smart/composed play.

Overall on Kerry I doubt any team will give Kerry as much space as Clare appeared to give them.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 05, 2018, 09:29:51 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 05, 2018, 09:04:19 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 05, 2018, 10:16:55 AM
He scored 1 point from play against Clare, hardly the second coming of Gooch.

He's very accurate and clinical any time I saw him as a minor but doesn't have much pace. Cooper though had a fantastic game intelligence but that develops over time, people will just need to give Clifford time and patience.
Yep, he's nothing like Gooch, a poor comparison.

He's already a big man though, and what he was supposed to be very good at v Clare was winning ball and laying it off. Seems to have plenty of game intelligence, not the quickest but has a burst in him, and well able to kick scores.

There's plenty of people in Kerry who think Sean O'Shea is going to be even better. As a Dub, I didnt relish him kicking over a few long range frees!

But good for both of them that Geaney is still the main man and O'Donoghue showed some signs of coming back to form. Seems the plan might be to play him as a playmaker 11.

Perhaps Dublin's biggest weakness is if you can get 1-on-1 with their full back line. They're not great man-on-man, bar Cooper maybe. But you need to play 6 forwards to stop them having a sweeper, and then that leaves the Dubs even more dangerous at the other end.

There was one play in the highlights on TSG where he won a ball and set up Geaney with a lovely dummy. The thing was he had half a chance to shoot himself but he made the smart play and set up Geaney for a much higher percent almost tap-over effort. For a young lad of 19 on his intercounnty championship debut it was very smart/composed play.

Overall on Kerry I doubt any team will give Kerry as much space as Clare appeared to give them.
Its a feature of Div 2 teams this year it seems. Cavan gave loads of space to Donegal and were destroyed,Tipp against Cork likewise and remains to be seen how much space Cork and Roscommon will give to Galway and Kerry in the provincial finals.

imtommygunn

Clare for the last few years have been on an upward curve and looked like a potential banana skin for some of the bigger teams.

I think the gap between the stronger and weaker counties may be growing :(

blanketattack

I think it's only fair at this stage that David Clifford be split in two.

Nevermind Gooch, I think Maurice Fitzgerald is the best Kerry player I've seen... Armagh were lucky that he fell out with Páidí
O'Neills Therapist

Jinxy

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 05, 2018, 09:55:44 PM
Clare for the last few years have been on an upward curve and looked like a potential banana skin for some of the bigger teams.

We've hammered Clare in the league the last two years.
Where did they get this rep?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on June 06, 2018, 11:32:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 05, 2018, 09:55:44 PM

We've hammered Clare in the league the last two years.
Where did they get this rep?

They beat the current best team in Connacht to qualify for the AIQFs in 2016.

CumminsCiderLarry

Clifford gave an exhitibition of shooting last sunday. Hopefully referee will watching monaghan off the ball tactics

southderryman

1-4 from play against Galway
1-3 from play against Monaghan

Largely living off scraps in both games amidst disjointed Kerry performances to put it lightly.

The fella is a class act, only going to get better. A long way to go to surpass the gooch, but plenty of time to do it

yellowcard

He is excelling in an otherwise mediocre Kerry side.

Doesn't have the same players around him that Gooch had and I think he has frightening potential.

Jinxy

I'd hope the fact that Clifford is getting all the plaudits will give Geaney a kick up the arse.
Throw Donaghy into the mix and that FF line should be the stuff of nightmares for a FB line.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gold

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 10:46:11 AM
I'd hope the fact that Clifford is getting all the plaudits will give Geaney a kick up the arse.
Throw Donaghy into the mix and that FF line should be the stuff of nightmares for a FB line.

Could you imagine?

Trying to prevent a twisting and turning Geaney who can go off left or right. Clifford who can beat you high or low and shoot from the next field.
Donaghy who  is the best high ball winner we've ever had.

You have to get ahead of them as Monaghan did or they can annalihate you.

I couldn't believe they didn't play Donaghy v Galway---complete no brainer to play him in my opinion

D Clifford is just class
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Maiden1

Quote from: Gold on July 23, 2018, 11:44:34 AM

Could you imagine?

Trying to prevent a twisting and turning Geaney who can go off left or right. Clifford who can beat you high or low and shoot from the next field.
Donaghy who  is the best high ball winner we've ever had.

You have to get ahead of them as Monaghan did or they can annalihate you.

I couldn't believe they didn't play Donaghy v Galway---complete no brainer to play him in my opinion

D Clifford is just class
I thought Donaghy was lucky to stay on the whole game, other than the knock down for the goal he barely touched the ball.  Also he played most of the game around midfield, he is too slow to keep up with his man so he was a bit of a liability when Monaghan had the ball and were attacking in numbers.

He could have took the guys head off with that swinging elbow as well, could easily have been sent off.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

tiempo

More of a Maurice Fitz than a Gooch, insane levels either way.

Dinny Breen

Does Clifford have the ability to bring other players into play and get the best out of them? Is he affecting the Kerry team dynamic?
#newbridgeornowhere